nx doom save errors

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Vicious
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

nx doom save errors

Post by Vicious »

ok when i save in certain levels of nxdoom it will either not save or it will erase my current save game.

this can get annoying but the bigger problem is that it takes up memory card blocks and i cant seem to erase the save file because for some odd reason the dreamcast cant see the file.

any help?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's a bug. For some weird reason, nxDoom screws up the filenames somewhere. The exact same bit of code works perfectly on a PC, but doesn't work properly on a Dreamcast.

When you're saving a file to the VMU over the top of another file, you have to delete the old file first. This part works fine. Then you have to create a new file, but somewhere between deleting the old file and saving the new one it changes to slot #9 (which, of course, doesn't show up on the menus), and saves it with the wrong filename.
Vicious
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Vicious »

well do you know how i can delete the files that the dreamcast cant read? and is there a way i can properly save everytime?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've never come up with a file on the VMU that I couldn't delete before. Maybe VMUTool will be able to get it.

As for saving... Oddly, I've never been able to reliably reproduce this behaviour, and I don't know of any work around.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re:

Post by TechnoWolf »

BlackAura wrote:I've never come up with a file on the VMU that I couldn't delete before. Maybe VMUTool will be able to get it.

As for saving... Oddly, I've never been able to reliably reproduce this behaviour, and I don't know of any work around.
I know this is an old thread, but I've recently been vegging on nxdoom, and have run into this save issue. From reading the posts here, I'm to assume there's no sure way to save again after loading a save during game?? I've noticed that using the bottom save works, and possibly the 2nd to last save. A few things, though. The 2nd to last save has a VMU filename of #4 (which it's not), but the save loads regardless. My question is: Am I probably safe saving my progress OVER the last 2 saveslots regardless of what slot# nxdoom assigns to them? Or will I loose my progress alltogether from a save meltdown? Is there a rational step by step we can follow?
Did ANY of that make any sense??

Thanks!