Offical DCEmu Codename: Envenom Topic

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

Status Update!

Last night I worked on making the zombies a tad easier by having Corporal being able to randomly blow their heads off with the pistol (and the pistol only, shotgun can fell a zombie in 1 shot upclose though), had some complaints about zombies kicking too much newbie ass so I thought of a visual/gameplay change to help out. This happens 10% of every shot (percentage may chance), it's a cool effect because their head falls off and bounces around, while the rest of the zombies body walks around for a short bit before falling down with a blood stream pouring from the stump of it's neck!! How cool is that. Now I need these additional sound effects:

- A satisfying "SPLAT!" sound for when the bullet hits the zombies head.
- A sound effect for when all decapitated heads bounce around the level (there's several decapitation models).
- A bloodspray sound effect for the headless zombies that walk around while a waterfountain of blood pours out from the neck stump (If you look closely you can see the spinal cord).

If you know of where I can get sound effects for the following PLEASE tell me.

I'm upping the amount of gore in Envenom also, going to put some creepy stuff in there and hopefully make it a bit more scary.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheDumbAss »

I agree with Wraggster...
Tyne and Fragger do both deserve to be QuakeDev mods...
I would be a little upset but not totally surprised if my mod status got removed at that same time. : /

I've simply not had time for Quake or DC related things for several months now... I do want to get back to this stuff but who knows when/if I'll get the time again.

In all truthfulness though... Any DCQuake related mods will likely get played by me on my xbox now. Since I did help improve that engine and it is so much less limited than any of the dreamcast ports. Not saying I wouldnt try test out any new engine releases though. I'd probibly play Envenom on DC when its released as well... out of respect for Tyne's efforts to keep it compatable. If another mod comes out that pushes the DCengines to thier limits (like Envenom) I'd deffenately respect their code and try it on DC too...

I am still very much interested in the the idea of developing completely legal homebrew games based on the Quake engine... And the only two places that a game like that can be played is PC and Dreamcast.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I'm going to try something tricky soon with Envenom. I'm basically gonna cut off Corporals head from his body, and then make his head a new entity that follows just like the VWep but Corporal will look at stuff around him - like they've done in Resident Evil.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I wouldn't hear of having TDA being de-modded.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Oh my Tyne...
Thats unheard of in a Quake mod.
Cool! :)
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Status Update:
I worked on Envenom for about 3 hours straight last night and got a bit done. I've made soldiers follow Corporal a bit better using a little waypoint trick I thought of and this includes monsters using it too. Basically when a monster/soldier can no longer see their target they spawn an entity at the last position they saw their target at and walk towards that, once they 'touch' the waypoint entity the monsters angle is then turned to whatever direction their target was walking. So it makes it seem like the monster saw which direction their target was walking towards and follow, if they can't find it they give up and camp in the area.

I've fixed all bugs with the headless zombies, I was having trouble figuring out why when they were shot by soldiers after walking around headless they wouldn't fall down - it was a simple 1 line code change that fixed it (I was using self.th_walk(); instead of self.th_run();, pain frames call self.th_run(); after.. oops!). Also I removed their gibbed head and made it so their head litterly explodes into a lot of small meat chunks; looks way more realistic. ;) There was an animation bug with the zombies too having to do with them raising up off the ground and going into pain frames if they were being shot at (they no longer do this); I think I finally fixed this bug too which has been in the game since nearly the beginning.

I've managed to take the Soldier practically all over the level with me, ofcourse since he's using the majority of Quake's 'movetogoal();' function he still has a bit of trouble in some places; I'm checking into a good replacement for it.

I've also fixed up the status bar which is now updated with Corporal's correct mugshot instead of his old one, also the shotgun and pistol are now displaying the correct ammo picture, when Corporal dies the screen fades white and displays "DEAD" where Corporals face is normally; so the HUD is almost practically done.

Added a few new sound effects also, there's now ricochet sound effects when bullets hit walls and a nice fleshy thud sound when a bullet strikes flesh.

Still need a satisfying "SPLAT!!" sound for when Corporal blows a zombies head into pieces though.

and most importantly,
There's still lots to do even before I release the demo - I'm getting very close however. Another Beta soon for testers atleast! :D
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Just remember that the Quake engine has unlimited possibilities, so if you want to add every feature that comes in your mind, you will keep making this game forever...

I'm not saying that you should not add these features, but when you have many ideas you may add some of them in a sequel ("Codename: Envenom II - The Return of the Revenge":?:).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I doubt I'll be doing a sequel, I want this to blow people away when they play it and see what I've accomplished in the Quake engine, especially on Dreamcast. I won't keep adding too many features, just trying to get the most I can out of it. :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

ImageImage
SNIPED!
This is the zombies head being shot apart by the pistol as I explained earlier, pretty gory but cool huh. :P The screenshots are using r_fullbright 1 so there's no shadowing whatsoever.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

It doesn't matter how old you get, or how many times you do it, blowing a zombie's head off is just plain cool :)

I'm currently enjoying it in Doom, and will continue with it in Envenom. Top stuff.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Status Update!

Post by Tyne »

Status Update:
- I finished the Assault Rifle as you can see in the above screenshot, it's coded and finished in the game but it may not be featured in the demo unless the player enters a cheat code or something.
- Decided to switch Envenom from RADQuake to NxQuake for the Dreamcast release - RADQuake is highly not recommended, not only will Envenom now have ogg music(!) but I'll be able to work well with BlackAura, Fragger and Metafox unlike the uncooperative Ian Micheal & speud who put the blame on modders for faults in their engine that affect mods in ways RADQuake shouldn't of in the first place (anyone who's been in the Quake community long enough knows it's the engine coders fault if they break mod compatibility which normally works on WinQuake). I'm also thinking Envenom may take advantage of QuakeC extensions! (Although that's not up to me, and they aren't actually neccessary they just help)
- Updated the AI once again to make it smarter, I'll be adding stealth elements into it shortly that were in an earlier version but were scrapped due to bugs in the AI that have now been fixed.
- Added transparent effects if you're using Darkplaces. Muzzle Flashes, Blood Pools and other things are slightly transparent and look overall better.
- Soldiers can correctly use plats, still gotta add minor code to tweak it though.
- Dithered 3D models, done a bit like the the coloured dithered lights I showed but obviously on the 3D model itself using polygons. Looks neat when the engine uses low resolution but odd at high resolution, I'm keeping it anyways.
- A new Beta for Beta Testers will be released shortly after I sort out all the kinks and make it more NxQuake compatible.
- Gun models, pick up models are now consistant. Before when you pick a gun up off the ground it looked different from the one Corporal was holding in his hands due to model changes.
- Status Bar hud is now properly fixed up and shows the correct ammo icons on the selected weapon. It also displays "DEAD" over Corporals face if you're killed in the game, the screen shifts to a white haze also.
- Fixed the blood pools on worms (green coloured instead of red, Envenom creature have green blood, Baeloth's blood is bright blue, and Humans are obviously red).
- Fixed the blood pool positioning on Corporal's deaths, since we have a new Corporal model with new death sequences that end up in different places I had to make adjustments as to where the blood pool is being dropped so it no longer puts a pool of blood at Corporals feet when it should be at his chest.
- Changed ship1.bsp, the Cargo Deck around.. the rooms tend to be darker with more blinking lights and is a bit creepier overall. Also some geometery changes and lighting.
- Misc changes on text and such.
- Timing Issues due to low framerates have been fixed.

There's about 15+ more changes/fixes/polishing but I'm sure you get the point so I won't bother telling you them. :)
Last edited by Tyne on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne' realy excited about evenom eh?
i like the way he tweak the details giving a pro look in the whole thing.
BTW, i feel sorry for the troubles with RADquake crew, as it would implement little good features, like the custom lcdicons.png and principally the saves. hope BA come with something like it.
Nice job so far, Tyne. :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Chillo has turned the crappy low polygon soldier into THIS! (1234 polygons)
Last edited by Tyne on Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Way! Loads of new stuff! That new caracter looks amazing! But will NxQuake be able to handle caracters with that many polys?
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I just did a small check. Those fat zombies in Doom 3 has about 1300 polys. That is almost as much :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

The high model polygons may slow the framerate in NxQuake a tad as it would in WinQuake but that's about it. I go back and play test it over and over just to make sure it's competely playable and the framerate is decent, and that it remains bug free.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Imerion wrote:I just did a small check. Those fat zombies in Doom 3 has about 1300 polys. That is almost as much :)
the wonders of normal mapping.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

[quote="Tyne"]The high model polygons may slow the framerate in NxQuake a tad as it would in WinQuake but that's about it. I go back and play test it over and over just to make sure it's competely playable and the framerate is decent, and that it remains bug free.[/quote

Question: Are you playing with some recent version of nxQuake, or something?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

typoEDR, I'm using RADQuake (for now) but they're nearly comparible in speed according to BlackAura; I'll burn a copy of NxQuake soon for testing though - it'll need sound for Envenom to be played properly but there's no rush for BlackAura to implement sound effects since I have .ogg music.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Sounds like good stuff. Can't wait.