making a Total Conversion

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

making a Total Conversion

Post by q_006 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:12 pm

well i was hoping that the Quake DC Devvers (or anyone that knows for sure) can tell me what steps there are in making a TC for Q1.

do i have to replace the Quake engine or just change the models and maps?
a step by step run through would be nice.

i'm not asking for any code.
just an explanation of how it is done. (clearly, if you can please :D )
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:49 am

Basicly you have to replace the contents of the .pak files. True TCs don't use any contents from the original Quake .pak files.

A true TC requires custom versions of these files:
Misc:
:arrow: quake.rc
:arrow: default.cfg
:arrow: gfx.wad
:arrow: progs.dat
:arrow: all files inside the gfx\ folder of the PAK0.PAK
:arrow: maps\start.bsp
Models:
:arrow: progs\player.mdl
:arrow: progs\bolt.mdl
:arrow: progs\bolt2.mdl
:arrow: progs\bolt3.mdl
:arrow: progs\beam.mdl
Sounds:
:arrow: sound\ambience\water1.wav
:arrow: sound\ambience\wind2.wav
:arrow: sound\demon\dland2.wav
:arrow: sound\player\tornoff2.wav
:arrow: sound\misc\h2ohit1.wav
:arrow: sound\misc\menu1.wav
:arrow: sound\misc\menu2.wav
:arrow: sound\misc\menu3.wav
:arrow: sound\misc\talk.wav
:arrow: sound\wizard\hit.wav
:arrow: sound\hknight\hit.wav
:arrow: sound\weapons\tink1.wav
:arrow: sound\weapons\ric1.wav
:arrow: sound\weapons\ric2.wav
:arrow: sound\weapons\ric3.wav
:arrow: sound\weapons\r_exp3.wav

These files listed above are used directly by the engine in some events.

To enhance your TC you also can make some more custom files and use them in the game:
:arrow: demos (*.dem)
:arrow: Maps (*.bsp)
:arrow: BSP models (*.bsp)
:arrow: Alias models (*.mdl)
:arrow: 2D sprites (*.spr)
:arrow: Sounds (*.wav)

When I say "custom file" I mean that you shouldn't just use a modified version of the original file. You must make your own file from scratch.

Thus said, you only have to make some good quality contents with a good gameplay to make a great TC. It isn't hard, but takes some months at least.

Well, I told you what to do, now you must learn how to do. This is the long part. There are many sites with tutorials on the net, it's possible to learn everything from them. Just learn how to use the editing tools, how to code in QC, and how the engine interacts with the QC code and the files, and you're ready to go.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:57 am

thanks Fragger!

well a couple of more questions and i'll be on my way :P

so i take it that you don't do anything to the Q1 engine itself.
just the .pak files and whatever other files you need to add/alter.

also is the same true for Q2 and Q3 (or any other moddable game for that matter)?

also is there any links that you find helpful?
i've searched a little but it seems that a lot of them are broken.

anyway thanks for the info!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:42 pm

No, you don't need to modify the engine.

I know that in Q2 there are some files outside the .pak files, like the player model and the game DLL, and I'm not sure if there are more. You'll need to modify those too.

As for Q3, I don't have any idea, 'cause I only played it once on my PC.

Good places to get help are the Inside 3D and the Quake Standards Group forums.

You can find many links in the DCEmu QuakeDev site, only a few of them are broken.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:37 am

Yep... Fragger is right on what you need to do.

So far there is ONE true total conversion for dreamcast versions of Quake.
Codename: Corporal! ( http://www.edgefiles.com/files/5125.html )

Every one of the files Fragger listed have been replaced in Codename.

He didnt mention the pop.lmp issue though... It is the one file that is required by the engine from the original quake paks because it checks the contents or refuses to run the mod/tc... that is unless you edit the engine to load something different (or not check it at all). I've made a new pop.lmp for codename and hex edited the engines in the zip file.

You can have a TC and still use the original pop.lmp... but if you fix the pop.lmp issue then you actually move into the area of being a stand along game. Something that you could actually sell if you felt so fit. ;) But there are some issues to address before you do try to sell something like that. (I'll get to that below)

But back to some useful information...
You're fire to use anything you want from Codename. A lot of it isnt actually mine or Renegade's anyway. Well.... the code is mostly Ren's and the pain sounds are all his. Other than that Ren or myself found and (where needed) editied everything in there from other free and public sources... like OpenQuake (an unfinished project ment to produce a fully GPL alternitive to the Quake Paks)

The problem with using things that are free, public domain, or GPL is that everything you use really belongs to someone else. That is unless (in the case of public domain) the copyright owner actually gives up their right of ownership willingly. GPL allows you to sell the things you make as long as its source code is free to the public. You cant claim ownership to any of the parts that arent yours and you cant stop people from modifying what you made. Things that are simply free... well... their owner still owns it. If they have a special license attached to it you have to follow their rules...

And yes...
Quake1, Quake2, Quake3Arena, HalfLife, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, etc all can have a TC built that same general way. Just make sure everything that can be replaced has been and everything that is editable also has been. But just taking content from another game would be illegal. So converting all or part of Quake1 to Quake2 (which is possible) would be illegal to distribute to anyone who doesnt own Quake1.

Total conversions arent limited to First Person Shooters either... it just seems to be the most common area to find them. Any game that is fully customizeable can have a TC made for it. For example if you really wanted you could make a TC for many Real Time Strategy games like the Command and Conquer series for PC.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:27 pm

TheDumbAss wrote:So far there is ONE true total conversion for dreamcast versions of Quake.
Codename: Corporal! ( http://www.edgefiles.com/files/5125.html )

Every one of the files Fragger listed have been replaced in Codename.
Actually I don't consider Codename: Corporal a true TC, because of this:
TheDumbAss wrote:Just make sure everything that can be replaced has been and everything that is editable also has been. But just taking content from another game would be illegal.
In Codename: Corporal:
-There are a lot of copyrighted ID textures on the maps.
-The sprite muzflash.spr is actually a resized frame of the s_explod.spr from Quake.
-The teleport sounds (\sound\misc\r_tele*.wav) sounds like they are from Hexen II. I can confirm that the r_tele3.wav and the r_tele4.wav are.
-The sound sound\ambience\fire1.wav is the sound\raven\fire1.wav from Hexen II.
-The sound sound\weapons\shell.wav is actually the tink1.wav from Quake.

There may be another files that were taken from other games, so that's why I said that it's better to make the files by yourself. It may be hard to know if the file isn't taken from a commercial game when you get it from other people.
TheDumbAss wrote:converting all or part of Quake1 to Quake2 (which is possible) would be illegal to distribute to anyone who doesnt own Quake1.
I think that there's no problem as long as (1) only the contents of the shareware version are converted, and (2) you don't get any money for converting or distributing it.

But, of course, you can sell original TCs where all the contents of the .pak files were made by yourself.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:06 pm

Codename: Corporal despite using some ID related content is still a TC technically.
If I could create sounds, textures and ma[ then there wouldn't be any ID content in it at all, but I'm not a 1 man miracle worker, sorry.

btw: shell1.wav was never used in the game.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:44 pm

It doesn't matter if the shell.wav is used or not. :mrgreen:

You don't need to replace the Codename maps, you could only replace the textures. I know that there is a retexturing project for Q1 or Q2 somewhere in the net.

I find it fun to make sound effects by myself, but if you need some help you could ask in the DC Homebrew Apps forum, there's a sticky about music for homebrew games, I think that the guys in there can give some help or info on how to do this.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:00 am

hmm... For the most part I pulled sounds from supposedly free projects. ( a LARGE number of things were pulled from OpenQuake and then editied) I dont remember looking to hexen for any files at all...

I agree that the absolute best source for everything to make a tc is from your own abilities. (our outsourced work from a trusted partner) But I dont have what would be needed to setup my on Folly Studio (as its known in the busness) to record propper sounds myself. I DEFFENATELY dont have access to the guns needed to get those sounds. : /

See how difficult it can be to make a true TC q_006? hehe...
Dont let it discourage you though... I just kinda recommend working your way tward it slowly. You can always go back and replace content as you go. Its more important to get the mod up and playable... then MAYBE you can find some people to help replace the content.
and... ok... you got me with the textures ;)
The 4 maps I made are almost completely original Quake textures. The one that isnt is actually mostly converted halflife textures (the prision). It would be kinda easy to swap out all the textures for a decent equivelant from the retexturing projects... it'd also be easy to just totally switch out the maps for something using a completely custom texture set.

I always forget about the map textures... Everything but the textures I did make a very strong effort to find replacements from a free source. I didnt ever realize that muzzleflash.spr was in fact an edited s_explod.spr or I would have replaced it. I do have some suitable replacements already. :(
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:06 pm

I heard about FreeQuake here ? What about this?
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:34 pm

Here is a link to Galbraith Games and their Free Game Arts project. Home of OpenQuartz (what I ALWAYS wrongly refer to as OpenQuake), The open TC Hack n Slash, and tons of GPL and free content.

http://planetquake.com/gg/
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:47 pm

hello again!

I was wondering something. What is the legality of selling a TC of Quake (or any other game)? I know Quake is GPL, so if I have to have sell my TC what do I have to do?
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:54 am

Well AFAIK you are allowed to sell GPLed stuff as long as you include the full source code.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:51 am

Only the engine is under the GPL; the QC code isn't. Anyway, if you write the QC code from scratch and keep the engine compatible with normal Quake, I'm pretty sure you don't need to release your QC source.

There are at least one or two closed-source commercial TCs out there; the "X-Men: Ravages of Apocalipse" comes to mind.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
xaGe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by xaGe » Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Or one of my favorites... Malice! and there was Shrak as well... :-)