Optimizing mods/speed

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Moi »

Mr.INSANE wrote:Woot first post aint i special

Mapping Optimizations

-Instead of using hundreds of light ententies *cough* ajay *cough* set a minimum ambient light level this will give you a good boost depending on how many light ententies you used to have
-Dont box maps this is a genereal noob mapper thing todo if your map leaks you put a box around it. This shoots the vis level through the roof and can make considerable slowdowns.
-Keep clean brushwork. Pretty simple dont make a tree out of five hundred brushes when i could make one out of 8.
-Dont use windows trasnparent water etc. this will give you a good boost if you use a window texture instead of being able to see into the building or whatever your looking into
-for complex brushes dont sink them into the ground situate these slightly higher than the ground that way the map compiling tools wont have to set the brush up
-if levels get to big starting chaining them this is a good way to keep high framrates.

thats pretty much all and woot first post
thanks Mr.Insane, this is very helpful!
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Mr.INSANE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mr.INSANE »

Hey No problem jsut trying to help.

p.s. if anyone is looking for an experinced mapper give me a message
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Update on lighting.

Yeah Lunkin uses a horrible method of shoving light entities everywhere as mentioned before, a lot of people including myself never bothered to read any lighting tutorials or the readme files that came with a lighting compiler!

Here's a tip for increasing speed and improving your levels lighting quality.

Use the 'wait' key on your lights. A light with a bright of 100 and a 'wait' key will look a lot better then: using 3 light entities to accomplish the same lighting effect and doing a poorer job at it!

'wait' is basically a way to increase the lights radius size, so a 'wait' of 0.5 will increase the brightness range * 2 allowing for larger lights that dim out over a distance a lot nicer, which also casts some nice shadows.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."