Quake 2 source code released..

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
dreamcaster1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by dreamcaster1 » Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:06 pm

why do you guys keep saying it needs 32 megs of ram i had a 166 cyrix with 16 megs of ram and i used to play quake 2 online all the time you figure i was running windows 95 that used 4 or 5 megs there and there must have beens other programs inside the basic mem so i think it can run on 16 megs
mik
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mik » Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:50 am

The system i had to run quakeII on back in the day was a pentium233mmx that had 32mb of ram and windows 98 so i figure a lot more was used by windows and other programs that was in 95 but keep in mind that with a PC there is a harddrive to cache to, with the DC we dont have the luxury...
Chimera-disKord
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Chimera-disKord » Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:54 pm

why do you guys keep saying it needs 32 megs of ram i had a 166 cyrix with 16 megs of ram and i used to play quake 2 online all the time you figure i was running windows 95 that used 4 or 5 megs there and there must have beens other programs inside the basic mem so i think it can run on 16 megs

Ever heard of virtual memory?

166 Cyrix? Doesn't that run at like 90Mhz?
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 » Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:13 pm

It seems that you can trim down the memory it needs by trimming down the .pak file.

From the Pocket Matrix forum dealing Q2 for PocketPC:
Well I removed all the sounds and..IT WORKED!! Not only that its almost playable! Now the pak is just 15MB and it runs with only 15.2 program mem free.
I'm the PocketPC OS doesn't support Virtual Memory, so its not using that.

Hmm... more good news on mem usage, this time from the developer:
...pQ2 runs fine on my iPaq (and always has) with around 13 MB free Program Memory because I do not have sound files in pak0.pak. It is not possible for me to test on my iPaq with the full shareware data file because my biggest CF card is 16 MB. If someone can post the url to a pak editor, then you guys can try stripping the sound files out of the pak. It is very easy - you just open the pak in the editor, select the files and hit delete.

Is anyone actively working on porting Q2 to DC? Maybe trimming down the shareware pak would help in getting a version working.
VacantIdol
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by VacantIdol » Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:08 pm

well it was made for the n64 and psx so i woundt see why it coudnt be ported with out anything being stripped, im sure theres a good programer out there that can do it. (for im not) hell Q3 was made for dc
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:26 am

It [i]does[/i] need more than 16 megs of RAM on a PC. I have checked the ammount of memory Quake 2 uses and it uses between 12 and 20 Mb while the game is running. However, during loading, it peaks at 32 Mb or less, depending on the map. It's more if you're using OpenGL. However, if we strip the sound out and tone down the textures, it works fine with less memory usage. The way Quake 2 allocates RAM during loading is virtual - it doesn't commit memory. As far as I know, KOS does not support this. WinCE does, so that's why the PocketPC version worked. For a DC, you'd have to either add support for it or hack it out of the code. I think I could do it, but I can't do any DC coding right now. I'd love to give it a try, but don't hold me to it.