TransfusionDC

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

I think you should leave reaper alone until his quake engine is a lot farther in development. It's just too young and new to ask for new features before anythings really working at full speed/sound/compatibility.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bloodite »

None of this is directed at anyone. I was simply trying to get this "out there" Noone has to listen to me, its at their sole discretion. After that, I can see your point. the ports are fairly new. The suggestions ive forwarded were just that suggestions. All i originally wanted was the menus fixed. Even now if thats all anyone (Reaper or BlackAura) wants to do id be happy. All im doing here is trying to give DC ppl a great and FREE quake 3 like multiplayer game. If ive been harsh in my suggestions, well then im formally apologizing for it.
Try Transfusion, the most ambitious TC for Quake! http://www.planetblood.com/qblood
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

NO worrys bloodlite the menus fixed and go from there the low res version is for people that wanted to play it the high res was me trying to get it looking really nice but with out worrying about speed

ive been told my port works great with mods and loads more then then all the other so far so theres some think

like i said just get your coder to give me the needed changes to standed winquake

and all go from there

B A is THE guy that really knows FPS engines more then me

HEH! im happy with it the way it is sound is all im looking at fixing adding vmu saving a splash screen at start up and a a res that is between them both and looks good and still is smooth... then i may try learning quake mods my self

i love to see resident evil type mod for quake but called dawn OF the dead

it be super cool and that would bring people to it im sure

some of the ones your doing look great to but at first just geting it running on the DC is the main problem worrying about how it lookls on it can be fixed after

when i get the source patch for normal quake1 source in my hot hands from you people ill give it a compile ok? and see how it runs i really enjoy coding and work hard at it....

but im self taught so dont expect lots of feed back on how i do get any think to work i do things as i go and IM very bad at commenting source

looking forward to a email with the needed changes ! is that pushy enff lol

reaperangel@yahoo.com tell him to send it to me there and ill send hime the exe=elf to him back
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

So when I click on run server under multiplayer(which is the menu area in question), it shows our menus style, but the maps are labled as the ID ones, and trying to load any map goes to the console saying it couldnt load that particular ID map e.g. start bsp. Therefore, I believe its still fixated on IDs maps.
I didnt understand the first couple times it was talked about... but I get it now. That seems like a pretty easy thing to fix. Hell... it might be able to be fixed via hex editing. :)

Just change the mapnames in the source and their corrissponding bsp call to match the new ones. Really simple.

Going to the console and typing 'map whatevermapname' still works fine right?

There are other options that could be looked into besides editing the engine for this. But that may force you to make an offshoot of the qc source to include the DC compatable QC menus.

I've not thought to check... but do nxQuake and/or RadQuake even support launching a multiplayer game via the engine menu at this point?
Not to be a selfish prick or anything but I would REALLY like the 3d acceleration and the custom skies as well.
Both of these engine ports are in their early stages. BlackAura has said he plans to write his own hardware renderer. This will make his engine much faster and support higher resolutions at that higher speed. It may end up with several GL (like) features during the course of development too. Reaper2k2 hasnt said he was going to mess with hardware rendering yet. But I wouldnt rule out that possibility.

Skyboxes probibly arent extremely difficult... and I beleave I've seen a couple software pc engines support them. Not too many mods need them though (but the number is growing)

Just give them time. Both engines are less than a few weeks old (counting from the day coding began not the more recent first release)
Hmm, ive just remembered a small item, the single player option in glquake tries to load the single player maps, but since Transfusion is multiplay only with bots (like quake3), in DP its disabled with the text:" Transfusion is for multiplayer only".
That shoudnt be too hard to fix.
That can easily be fixed in the QC source. You could make a simple start.bsp that when loaded simply sets up deathmatch for you and shows the map selection menu. Ive done that for Tyne's Codename mod that I worked with him on/kinda took over. Its a DM only mod... but going to start game takes you to the start/menu/setup map.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You could hexedit the executable, but Transfusion uses many more episodes than the 6 that Quake's menu defines. And neither port lets you start a botmatch game from the multiplayer menu yet - No Communications Available (the same as Titanuim's port).

The file we need is probably menu.c - that'll have the maplists and locking out single player mode.
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Is there a way to trick the game into thinking that there is "communication" enough so that the bots can run? as for the menu.c, Ill talk to Tim today, he isnt on right now, but when he is Ill tell him. When its fixed Ill post it here.

That map loading idea using maps sounds cool. Not sure if the code will like it though, since loading a map using the consoles map command just takes u to the map, it dosent allow bots. perhaps it wont know the difference if it loaded from another map. I hope I can put CTF into the selection as well.
Try Transfusion, the most ambitious TC for Quake! http://www.planetblood.com/qblood
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Allright. Tims pretty busy so hes given me a menu.c that seems to be from DP. It seems to be made for more than one mod, I checked it and it has supprt for Nehara. In order to use this, I think the Transfusion menus stuff has to be singled out, but im not sure. Hopefully u guys can figure this out.

Any ways, here it is: http://www.mountaincable.net/~ironhell/menu.c

if the trans stuff cant be singled out, at least it shows the episodes, maps, menu style, ect.

(edit) Tim has informed me that this is already made to work with Transfusion, so there is no need for it to be modified. id still check it out anyways.
Last edited by bloodite on Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

ILL look at it just a bit worn out!

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

That contains pretty much everything we'd need to fix the menus. There's just one important issue:

Does Transfusion actually work under nxQuake or RADQuake?
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

IVE not tested it yet im on a 56k and as far as i can tell its a big download

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've downloaded it, but I haven't tested it properly yet. It's 30MB or so, I think.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

So whats going on with this project?
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

IVE not touched it yet seeing as im working on other things as quake is more Black aura 's specialty my port is just for testing SDL and making sure it's fully working ill add improvements but i cant code mod menus and the like as ive never even seen the code for one

im not one to invent things from thin air the sound system is what i want to get working and vmu saving when there done there be a new version i think then it be worth burning again

Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

reaper2k2 wrote:IVE not touched it yet seeing as im working on other things as quake is more Black aura 's specialty my port is just for testing SDL and making sure it's fully working ill add improvements but i cant code mod menus and the like as ive never even seen the code for one

im not one to invent things from thin air the sound system is what i want to get working and vmu saving when there done there be a new version i think then it be worth burning again
I didnt really exspect much out of you right now as your busy but I thin if Transfusion is on DC it will be using a special coded version of BlackAura nxquake.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Is this idea of this port dead? :(
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

TransfusionDC

Post by bloodite »

Thank god Im back. 2 bloody months of moving, and buying parts and driving. as for this trans thing Ive never ran either nxquake or radquake with this yet, but this project is defintely NOT dead. Even if I gotta do it all myself itll work. I think neither port is mature enough for a port YET. but eventually it will. I think I got it to work with beros software, but it bogged a bit and I cant even find the damn disc anymore since Ive moved.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

That definitely does sound good. Ambitious project do tend to take a long time, but I am sure that they are far more gratifying. I am not really big into multi-player type of shooters, but the Blood franchise is definitely unique to say the least.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think neither port is mature enough for a port YET.
Correct. Neither are up to the standard of DarkPlaces, that's for sure.
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Ive built a machine just for TransDC / any mods I might be making. It has all the Dreamcast's specs. Ive tested my latest version of TransDC, and it runs on glquake with a 200 mhz w/4mb v1 fine. it runs even better with a 8mb v2. havent tried either port yet again cause I dont know how to burn em :cry: I cant even remember how to burn Beros. The need for custom skies and even custom maplists are over. Ive decided to negate the list and make a custom start.bsp with portals to the maps like Quake did. Ive found a program to replace the maps skies so the custom skies arent needed. Ive also discovered that our bots DO work without modifying the menu, as they only required the - listen parameter, which leads me to another hurdle: how the heck can I enable the listen parameter under Dreamcast? Ive tried the console listen command, and it does nothing. If someone can compile an exe with listen 16 enabled automatically, then all the current barriers are gone. Things have been slow for this project due to the other stuff im doing, eg. making maps for pc Transfusion, working on my own little standalone TC (Im not telling anymore on this till its done). but ill post anything new on this here.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Bloodite - nxQuake and Bero's Quake are, as far as I know, the only Quake engines for the DC that allow command-line paramaters. At least, I think nxQuake did, and I know that Bero's Quake does. I'll have a look, when I find the CD with the nxQuake source code on it...

Although a DC's video card is more powerful than a Voodoo 1, and more powerful than a Voodoo 2, it does have a couple of issues, the main one being that we don't have a fully working hardware-accelerated version of Quake for the Dreamcast yet. I was going to try getting one to work, but I never got around to it. Bero's one had some severe issues (like the floor vanishing from underneath you).

Once you've got glQuake up and running, adding custom skyboxes like Quake 2 is really easy to do.