Duke 3D for DC (can it be done?)

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Duke 3D for DC (can it be done?)

Post by navi »

This isn't a request just a question.
would it be possible to port Duke Nukem 3D to DC??

I think the DC could handle it
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

It probably could, but the source code isn't available and probably never will be, since 3d Realms claims they lost most of it. Without the source code, nothing is portable.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

what how could you loose the source code to one of your best sellers ?!?!?
LOL i smell bull s#!t
man now 3d realms just pissed me off
if they don't wanna release the source they could just say so
too bad though i think it'd be cool to see duke 3d on dc
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

navi wrote:what how could you loose the source code to one of your best sellers ?!?!?
LOL i smell bull s#!t
man now 3d realms just pissed me off
if they don't wanna release the source they could just say so
too bad though i think it'd be cool to see duke 3d on dc
Me too. IT would figure though the 1 game I actually was a master at making mods for would have to die out.

I seen a GLDUKE once that wasn't finished and it DID have a source code.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

Doesnt matter how many people ask this question, nothing ever happens. Yes, it can be done, and it seems no one wants to do it. There are many open-source Duke Nukem engines, its just that when they are shown, this topic dies and no one bothers with it.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Unseen wrote:There are many open-source Duke Nukem engines
And not one of them is capable of playing Duke 3D properly. Most of them just allow you to walk around Duke 3D's levels, with the objects in place (and totally stationary). They're all based on the BUILD engine source released by Ken Silverman, which is basically what Duke 3D was built on.

The reason nobody has ported them is that there isn't much point in porting a game that's still in development by somebody else, and could be totally different next version - you'd have to continually re-port it every time a new version was released. And it could be a long time before it's playable.

Of course, it'd still be possible to port the base engine and make a game out of that.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

but is GL Duke Source managble enough to port it do dc?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Some of them might be. The only one I've seen the source code to was tied to Windows, and would require a major rewrite to get it working on the DC.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

I still remember the days of using the Build Engine to create Single / multiplayer maps. Man, i still have the notebook that i made notes in of how to do different things [doors, different sectors, rotating sectors, sector over sector, how to use Sector Effectors, The values of the LO-Tags & what each one does, etc....]. Man, i would LOVE to see this ported to the DC because if it was, i could take the time and write "episodes". Id even be willing to buy a domain and host it on :)
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

We wouldn't be able to use anything from Duke3D or other build games, so we'd have to have some guys who could do decent artwork for those kind of games. I'll have to look at how portable the Build engine is.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Well, in essence, the build engine doesnt have to be ported to the DC, just the duke 3d engine. That way, the only thing you would have to do is build your map's on the PC, then burn them to the cd and boom, you could then play your maps if it was wrote correctly.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

but i don't think anyone has the source for the Duke Engine

according to 3D realms they "Lost it"
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Man this subject comes up a lot. I bet 3D realms is full of crap. Would be great if Duke could be brought to the realm of updates though, imagine something along the lings of JDOOM only with the Duke (Build) Engine. You could drive vehicals even! Man....

...too sad. :/
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

ninja wrote:Well, in essence, the build engine doesnt have to be ported to the DC, just the duke 3d engine. That way, the only thing you would have to do is build your map's on the PC, then burn them to the cd and boom, you could then play your maps if it was wrote correctly.
You could extract the textures, sounds, maps from the duke3d.grp file. In fact there is a tool right on the Duke3D cd that allows you to do this I think.

So even if it was just a build engine, that would more then likely be enough to get something put together. This would be a project I could even help out on.

And the file Duke3d.grp exists in the Shareware version as well, it just obviously don't have the stages, textures, sounds for episodes 2 and 3. Actually i might have the textures Im not sure. Seems like my first school level I made was playable on the shareware version of Duke3d?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

They said the same thing about the ROTT source. It always depressed me. I was very happy when it got released.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

I bet, the source isn't lost. Maybe they release the full source later, if DN4E still isn't done. :twisted:

I think the main problem is, that, as Black Aura said before, the Ken Silverman Build engine isn't exactly THE Duke 3D engine. For example the code for handling the .con files are closed source and copyrighted by 3D Realms.
As long as they didn't release that, it would be half-legally to make a Port of that game.

Without to mention, that rebuild those closed sources is a hard thing, when you want to be on a legal side speaking of NOT use reverse engineering of the original code.

IMO is that also the problem, for what the most Duke porting projects are more or less on hold.
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

The way they are handling the hype of Duke Forever is pathetic. Yea I was excited about it like in 1998. I could give a damn about it now as games are all ready exceeding it performance wise. They all ready had to change the engine once cause there taking so long to make this game. I just wonder if there really putting a lot of time into the game, or if there just not putting enough time in it to finish it.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Its not without a reason, that som ppl talk about it as Dukatana. :mrgreen:
But i hope, that when it comes, that it is really Duke Nukem, not Max Payne-GTAIII-blablabla. A game as many today. Impressive grafik, but too short, often too hard, maybe to hide the shortness of the game, and lifeless.
IMO it is so sad, that with all those great grafix the games of today are often less fun than good old DooM or Duke.
But in german we say: Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt, which means, that hope is dying in the end. ;-)

OK. enough for that. Back to topic. Hehe.
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

cybdmn wrote:Its not without a reason, that som ppl talk about it as Dukatana. :mrgreen:
But i hope, that when it comes, that it is really Duke Nukem, not Max Payne-GTAIII-blablabla. A game as many today. Impressive grafik, but too short, often too hard, maybe to hide the shortness of the game, and lifeless.
IMO it is so sad, that with all those great grafix the games of today are often less fun than good old DooM or Duke.
But in german we say: Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt, which means, that hope is dying in the end. ;-)

OK. enough for that. Back to topic. Hehe.
FINNALLY somebody who has the same outlook on modern Videogames as I do. Glad Im not the only person seeing how modern games are harder then sh*t. I know Mario Sunshine is a perfect example of making a game hard to pretend its a bigger game.
mmnpsrsoskl
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by mmnpsrsoskl »

Games these days seem easier to everyone because you've been playing for years or something and you become way better at them...not many people see this.