nxDoom features

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

nxDoom features

Post by BlackAura »

I don't know if I dare ask this, but I'm going to do it anyway. Call me insane or suicidal if you will, but I'm goind to do it anyway. No, it's no use trying to stop me. I know I'll probably get all sorts of rubbish, and I probably won't be able to take it all, but I'm going to ask for...

Ideas for future versions of nxDoom? I'd like ideas from both the game players and mod makers perspective, if possible. Please note that if the suggestions are too complex, impossible, stupid, require too many changes to the engine, or I just don't like them, I may well totally ignore them. And even if I do pay attention, forces may conspire to prevent it. Or I may just not bother.

Here's what I've got so far. These are ones that might turn up sometime in the next few months (I have some free time from November to late January that I might be able to use)

1. Bugfixes (what bugs? :? )
2. MIDI music support, and (maybe) MP3/OGG/CDDA
3. Prettier modlist
4. Keyboard support
5. Mouse support
6. 2/3/4 player split-screen support
7. Some new game modes to go with multiplayer mode
8. Ability to customise episodes/map lists for Doom/Doom2
9. Faster loading (already in prototype phase)
wando77
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by wando77 »

Yeah, some sort of dc-dc link cable option or net play would be very nice. Not sure if its possible or not but you asked for suggestions. Also who do i talk to about a conversion of death tank for the sega saturn being ported to dc???? Keep up the good work..... :D
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Just some sort of basic scritpting language so you can hit a trigger and have multple effects happen I.E. Floor raise to 128, wait 5 clicks, floor lower to 0, wait 10 clicks, floor raise to 256, ect. Nothing fancy, just enough to be able to make a few interesting puzzles, and to give the effect of defective elevators, or perhaps even to be able to spawn items in.

Another idea would of course be alternate fire, such as having a blaster that can fire as normal, but then if you hit the alt fire button, it fires much faster.

BOOM, MUCH NEEDED! :)
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Oh ya, another feature which would be GREAT is the one like in Legacy where you can add in a texture to a wad that is just basically a bmp file of a certain color, for example llight green. Once you have that added in, you can go into the game and assign that color to the lighting in areas, I.E. PSX DOOM, or better yet, DOOM 64. So you can have one room that glows light green, and another dark red, and so on and so forth! It really brings the game alive!
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Well, I think this is maybe stupid, but I would like that when you finish a level, the game give you the possibility to save the game at the beginning of the next level. This savegame should only save the weapons, life and armor you have at that point, and the level you should start. As this savegame don't need to save the level status, it should be very small, that is what I am interested in...
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ya I'd be happy with that save feature as opposed to a save anywhere fetures if it would make working in saving easier and more compact.

Also I like the HUB system from HEXEN, to progress to one level, then be able to return to where you were, and everything remains the same as you left it, this could make for a great addition for TC's, though it will make the save feature more complicated to implement.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Bring that 35 framerate lock up to 60 if possible.
Change the video res to 640x480 with Blinear filtering (Smoothed textures!) using the PowerVR2 DC.
Scripting language support.
BOOM/ZDOOM/Legacy features.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Tyne wrote:Bring that 35 framerate lock up to 60 if possible.
Change the video res to 640x480 with Blinear filtering (Smoothed textures!) using the PowerVR2 DC.
Scripting language support.
BOOM/ZDOOM/Legacy features.

Yes, yes and yes! :)
archduke
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by archduke »

BlackAura :everything you mentioned sounds great! i guess i'm interested in slightly better graphics, but really only if it is in the realm of possibility
(dont wanna ask for 2 much)
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Oh ya and we need support for DOOM III models! :)
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

Implement an open GL rendering mode would be cool :)
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

I know it'd be pretty tough, but I'd like to see better graphics and freelook
with the analog stick (like QuakeDC) :lol:

Everything else sounds great, too.... really anything at all is appreciated!

thanx 8)
*darkzero*
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by *darkzero* »

save anywhere, and easy way to make the modlist.txt or another thing 4 mods will be nice.

the save anywhere feature likes a save state in other emus (nester, dcgnuboy).

and modlist.txt, man, please, :cry: :cry: :cry: , fix this or make easy first of all other features. :wink:

thanxs

:twisted: darkzero :twisted:
!!!!Look I?m doing this!!!
http://www.galeriaartegma.com
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Mod directories.
Make a sub directory with the .wads you wanna run and .deh
So if you have /aliens/
and in that directory you have
game.txt
aliens.deh
aliens.wad

the game.txt in that directory would be read like "Aliens TC for Doom"
like the current WAD Loader - annd it would load the .deh file and wad.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hollywood Hasney - The BBA would be a good addition, but I have no BBA. However, most of the netcode is still intact, so I shouldn't have to modify it too much to get it to run on a DC. I know how to do it on a PC, though. Maybe BBA+PC netplay?

doragasu - The tiny saves might be a good idea, but I'm not sure that'll ever get implemented.

Most of the editing/modding features suggested by Tyne/XDelusion sound good, although some of them would be very hard to do without totally breaking standard Doom support. And most of them are waiting for other features to be completed.

I'm considering doing some sort of accelerated graphics at some point, but I'm not sure if that'll happen for a while. I need to try doing it on a PC first.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DDF support. That is Doom Definition Files. A scripting language that went along with EDGE Doom. There was a better Quake Doom for that engine, known as QDoom. It was a nearly perfect translation. Actually, I would like to see a full port of EDGE since it supported over-under floors and had a couple pretty good mods - not to mention I made a couple pretty clever small ones myself.

Like turning my king alien toy into an enemy with 4 different attacks. Nifty stuff.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Tyne wrote:Bring that 35 framerate lock up to 60 if possible. Even Doom Legacy runs at 35fps, so I don't think it would make a difference or it would have been implemented in Legacy already. In Jdoom, there is an option to run it at 60fps, but it uses 3d models, so that's different.
Change the video res to 640x480 with Blinear filtering (Smoothed textures!) using the PowerVR2 DC. I agree, although I think it should be an option, just in case you feel like old school Doom.
Scripting language support. I agree.
BOOM/ZDOOM/Legacy features. I agree.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

nxDoom's modding abilities will probably not end up as an exact match for any other engine, like Legacy, ZDoom, Edge, MBF or whatever. I've already implemented some unique stuff too. Boom support is the most likely, but if I copy one new engine, I kind of lock myself out of using another engine's features. I'm not going to do that.

I doubt I'd be able to change the framerate limit without serious modification to the code. The whole game runs off a 35Hz clock, and all timing is done assuming that the clock can go no faster.

The 640x480 mode with filtering using the PVR2DC is basically a total rendering system rewrite. Of course, I still want to do it at some point, but I doubt I'd be able to keep the old rendering engine in too. I may be wrong, of course.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Edge would be impossible, it requires waaaaay too much CPU, I tried to run QDOOM on a 700Mhz AMD once, and it ran choppy as hell, prolly a lot of that had to do with the rain effect, I am not shure, all I know it will never happen, but as Aura says, nxDOOM will become a fancy port of its own right, which will be very interesting to see, I can hardly wait for BOOM support!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

EDGE is not optimized at all because they want to just develop features, go back then optimize it to hell.