QuakeDC F.A.Q.

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

QuakeDC F.A.Q.

Post by TheDumbAss »

F.A.Q. for QuakeDC
QuakeDC is the Titanium Studios port
It is not DCquake by Bero

Table of Contents.

General info

Who made QuakeDC and how?
Why did they make it?
Does QuakeDC support Multiplayer?
Does QuakeDC support the dreamcast mouse?
Can you have CDDA background music like on the PC?

Will Quake Mission Pack 1 (aka Scourge of Armagon) work with QuakeDC?
Will Quake Mission Pack 2 (aka Dissolusion of Eternity) work with QuakeDC?
Will Hexen II run on QuakeDC?
Will the X-Men TC work with QuakeDC?
Can mod X work?

Burning
I don't use any frontend app to burn my CDs! Help?
How do I burn a multisession nonselfbooting disc...
... with easycd 4.0?
... with easycd 5.0?
... with Nero?
How do I burn a nonselfbooting disc with cdda music?
How can I selfboot with bin2boot and discjuggler or nero?

Using QuakeDC
How are the buttons mapped?
Can you save?

Optimizing
Are all these files in the wince folder really needed?

Development
Is the engine source avalible?

General Info.

Who made QuakeDC and how?

Titaniums Studios ported GLquake to Dreamcast useing the WinCE 2.1 dev kit for Dreamcast.

Heres an exerpt from Titanium Studios' website... ( http://titaniumstudios.com/ )

"QuakeDC is a port of Quake to Dreamcast that we did in some spare time. It is fully functional except for networking and took just a week and a half to complete. Not too bad considering the number of things that needed dealing with: converting OpenGL code to Direct3D, new file I/O, performance issues, complicated controller support, compacted savegames on the VMS amongst many smaller issues. In fact it represents about as far as we could go without modifying the content (which we couldn't distribute) or making significant improvements to the engine. "

Why did they make it?

They made two versions of QuakeDC. The first was made simply to familiarize themselves with the WinCE dev kit. It was also to try out some basic things for another project they'd been hired by Microsoft to produce. (Defense Commander) After they finished Defense Commander the lead programmer at Titanium decided he'd go back and port Quake to Dreamcast again... only this time somewhat more complete and optimized. This second version is the one that is now known as QuakeDC. It was made for the fun of it.

Does QuakeDC support Multiplayer?

No. QuakeDC does not support modem, BBA, or splitscreen multiplayer in any way... The only form of multiplayer for QuakeDC is deathmatch against bots.

Does QuakeDC support the Dreamcast mouse?

No. QuakeDC was made before the Dreamcast mouse was announced by Sega. Mouse support was not implemented for this reason.

Can you have CDDA background music like on the PC?

Yes. Burn your music tracks to your QuakeDC disc. Then once ingame you type cd_enable 1 in the console. Music should start playin at the start of the next level. You can also simply add cd_enable 1 to your quake.rc or config.cfg to have music play automaticly. Another option is to use joymenu which is avalible here
http://www.thefragger.hpg.ig.com.br/index.htm

Three problems are...
1)the music stops if any file is loaded from the CD (ambient sounds, sprites, config files, and even the system menus's graphics, like the help screen)
2)the music don't restart playing in the same level after the precache
3)the music don't loop.

A tutorial on how to burn with cdda is linked in the burning section of this FAQ

Will Quake Mission Pack 1 (aka Scourge of Armagon) work with QuakeDC?

Yes it will... Works rather well according to the reports. A tutorial on how to install it is avalible at http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutoria ... courge.htm

Will Quake Mission Pack 2 (aka Dissolusion of Eternity) work with QuakeDC?

Yes. DoE has been reported to work with QuakeDC. But with a few flaws... occasional missing textures being the main thing. No guide is currently avalible. But installation should be similar to that of Scourge of Armagon.

Will Hexen II run on QuakeDC?

Short answer... No. Most of the stuff from hexen is incompatable with quake. Sure Hexen uses the Quake1 engine... but it also has modifications and a few extra features that Quake doesnt have or support.

Long answer is... Not unless you want to do a lot of work and are happy with it being less than perfect.

The maps all would need converted. They are the same version number as normal quake maps (map and engine developers know about version numbers) But they do not work exactly the same. The method used to convert Quake2, 3, Half-life, Sin or Daktanna maps does not work on Hexen II maps.

The models may work as is... if QuakeDC can handle useing a nonquake1 pallette. If not then every model's skin(s), every texture, and every sprite would have to be extracted converted to the quake pallette and reinserted where they're supposed to be.

Last hurdle would be recoding the progs.dat to include all the monsters, items, weapons, and special features that were in Hexen II. You could fill some of the engine gaps useing QC... or atleast fake them.

Will the X-Men TC work with QuakeDC?

Probibly not. As far as I know no one has actually tried...
The maps for it are very large and are likely too large for it to run smoothly.

There was a rumor (Possibly from Titanium Studios themselves) that some of the licensed developers who played with QuakeDC had gotten the X-Men TC to work. This has not been proven to be true. It also doesnt prove much since the licensed developers who did get it to work may have edited the QuakeDC engine in such a way that it was able to load the larger maps.

Will Mod X work with QuakeDC?

Hard to say... many mods work with QuakeDC without any problems. Some mods work but have minor glitches. Some mods work only after some alterations have been done. And some wont work at all. Main way to find out if a mod works is to just try it.

Some of the working mods have been reported at http://quakedev.dcemulation.org or http://www.btinternet.com/~ajay.homer/dc.htm .
You may also want to check the QuakeDev forum at http://dcemulation.org
These lists are not ment to be definative or complete...
They are just to give you an idea of some of the things that do run.

One thing to note... The newer mods that require a custom GLquake.exe to run on a PC are not compatable with QuakeDC at all. (a few may still run but would be glitchy)

Using QuakeDC

How are the buttons mapped?

Here is the stock bindings for the Dreamcast controller.
bind "DC_TRIGL" "+jump"
bind "DC_A" "+back"
bind "DC_Y" "+forward"
bind "DC_B" "+moveright"
bind "DC_X" "+moveleft"
bind "DC_DUP" "impulse 10"
bind "DC_DRIGHT" "impulse 10"
bind "DC_DDOWN" "impulse 12"
bind "DC_DLEFT" "impulse 12"
bind "DC_TRIGR" "+attack"

The analog stick works much as the mouse would on a PC. View is not inverted (up looks up and down looks down) by defult. This can be changed in the options menu if you perfer it to be inverted.

Can you save?

YES. Save support is in it. Its recommend to use a VMU just for quakedc though since the saves can be rather large (and you cant overwrite your old saves ingame) The size of the saves are effected by the size of the level and number of entities in the level. Small levels with few monsters and items will have smaller saves...
Depending on the mod and level a single save can fill an entire VMU. Sometimes the saves are simply too large to fit even a completely empty VMU.

One mod has been released that fixes the size of the save files. It is...
SaveQuake. With it your saves are only 8 blocks.
http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/SaveQuake.zip

Methods to make saves even smaller are in the works.

Burning.

I don't use any frontend app to burn my CDs! Help?
What I do is the following:

1) Extract HexQuake to your HD.

2) Patch your maps with UQMP.

3) Put the patched PAK0.PAK file in the ID1 folder.

4)
- A) If you have the PAK1.PAK file from the full version of Quake and is going to burn the disc with JoyMenu 2.2 beta, replace the PAK1.PAK file from HexQuake with your own.
- B) If you have the PAK1.PAK file from the full version of Quake and will not burn the disc with JoyMenu 2.2 beta, just rename the HexQuake's PAK1.PAK file to PAK2.PAK, and put your patched PAK1.PAK in the ID1 folder.
- C) If you don't have the PAK1.PAK file from the full version of Quake, don't worry Wink.

5) To include JoyMenu 2.2 beta in the disc, just put the JoyMenu's PAK2.PAK file, the music pack file (PAK3.PAK), and the text files in the ID1 folder.

6) It's time to make the CD! Burn the audio track(s) in the first session. I usually do this with Easy CD Creator 4 on Windows 98 or Easy CD Creator 5 Basic on Windows XP. Just remember to burn it in track-at-once and don't close the disc. Also I strongly recommend you to burn it at 4x speed.

7) Run cdrecord -dev=1,1,0 -msinfo to get the msinfo number.

8) Run binhack. You'll have to enter 1ST_READ.BIN, IP.BIN and the right portion of the msinfo number. (example: 11702)

9) Run mkisofs -C 0,11702 -V QUAKEDC -l -o QUAKEDC.iso QUAKEDC, replacing 0,11702 with your full msinfo number, and the last QUAKEDC with the name of the folder you extracted HexQuake to. The first QUAKEDC is the label of the disc, you can change it to anything, like QUAKE, HEXQUAKE, or JOYMENU.

10) Run ipins, and enter IP.BIN and QUAKEDC.iso.

11) Run cdrecord -dev=1,1,0 -xa1 -speed=4 -eject QUAKEDC.iso.

In steps 7 and 11, you have to replace the numbers in -dev=1,1,0 with your burner's ones. To get the correct values for your CD burner you have to run cdrecord -scanbus.

I hope this helps.

PS: HexQuake is an edited version of QuakeDC, and you can get it at my site.

How do I burn a multisession nonselfbooting disc...
... with easycd 4.0?
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutoria ... rnezcd.htm
... with easycd 5.0?
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutoria ... /ezcd5.htm
... with Nero?
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/tutorials/nero/nero.htm

How do I burn a nonselfbooting disc with cdda music?
Fragger wrote a nice tutorial and posted it on his site.
Here...
http://www.thefragger.hpg.ig.com.br/tut ... easycd.htm

How can I selfboot with bin2boot and discjuggler or nero?
Pinoy2201 has put together a selfboot kit for QuakeDC that uses bin2boot to make a cdi image which is burnable with Discjuggler. It includes cdi2nrg to convert that image to nero's image format.
Heres the topic he released his kit in :)
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10399

Optimizing
Are all these files in the wince folder really needed?
No. Many of the files in the wince folder are unused and simply waste space. Soon I'll upload another new distribution to the QuakeDev website...
Until then... heres a link to a topic that tells most of what can be removed.
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7087

Develop (see also limitations and bugs)

Is the source code avalible?
No. Many people have argued that because Quake's source was released under the GPL license that Titanium Studios MUST release the source to QuakeDC. Just because its under the GPL doesnt always mean that EVERYONE should have access to the source. Here are three points to note on why the public doesnt have the source avalible to them.

1) its not being officially distributed by Titaniums Studios. The few licenced developers that did get QuakeDC from them also got the source. Their obligation to release the source is therefor fulfilled.
2) Something thats recently been realized by some of the custom GLquake coders is that the GPL does not allow them to use librarys that are not free or GPL as well. Since QuakeDC uses WinCE (which uses several librarys that arent free) it breaks the GPL anyway. For example... Tomaz had to declare one of his TomazQuake engine releases illegal because it contained FMOD music support. All later releases of his engine do not include FMOD support.
3) Id Software does not care that the source isnt publicly avalible. But they do not care that we (the dc owning public) have and play it eather.
Last edited by TheDumbAss on Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

We've been needing this for awhile... so I finally started one.

I know its missing a lot.
So if you have things that should be added post it here and I'll add it.

How to selfboot is one thing I know for sure needs added.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The analog stick isn't inverted by default... but I inverted it for JoyMenu because (I guess) it's the best setting for most people. By default, up looks up and down looks down on the analog stick.

If you want, you can paste here some info from my tech info page :) .
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Ok... I'll take a look at it tonight and add some stuff then :)

and my invert info is fixed. thanks :)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Just to be acurate, the CD music stops if any file is loaded from the CD (ambient sounds, sprites, config files, and even the system menus's graphics, like the help screen), not only on precaches.
:)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

ok :)

(I've still not tried music for myself :oops: )
Capnwinky
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Capnwinky »

k...I might have missed something, but what do I boot the game with if I burn it with no selfboot? Do I just use the utopia boot disk?
That's not what your momma said last night.
IPyRo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by IPyRo »

where can i download the IP.BIN the correct one
IPyRo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by IPyRo »

i was wondering if any one could help me burn quakedc on a macintosh
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Well..

Here is an IP.BIN that is supposed to work. I used it last night to make a BIN2BOOT style selfbooting QuakeDC disc. It does have the VGA flag marked too so it should be VGA compatable.

http://www.edgefiles.com/files/10694.html

As far as MAC burning goes... I dont have access to a mac so I cant even try to help you with that... I'm sorry. But we do have a "Mac Users" forum here at DCEMU so you can deffenately get some help there.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Some links in the faq aren't working anymore! Are there alternatives?

I'd be interested in the VMU compression patch.

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

get the latest version of joymenu iirc it compresses saves.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

This is true (bad links and Joymenu)

JoyMenu doesnt actually Compress saves it has just been specially optimized to produce much smaller saves. Its still an excellent choice since thats what all the 'small save' mods do anyway.

Get Joymenu at Fragger's new site:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/fragger/