Dumping games through a PC-DC Server

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

kcowolf

Dumping games through a PC-DC Server

Post by kcowolf »

Hey everyone. I've been looking for ways to back up my Dreamcast games to PC, and the broadband adapter method looks to be the most interesting. My only problem is that I don't have a broadband adapter. I'm trying to see if there's any way I can get around the high eBay prices for one.

I've seen a couple of guides for connecting a Dreamcast to the Internet through a PC (for example, Linux/BSD method at http://ragol.homeunix.net, and a Windows method only available over Internet Archive). It looks like it has the Dreamcast dial into the PC via its modem; the PC is connected to the Internet via broadband or other connection, giving the Dreamcast access to a broadband connection without a broadband adapter. Of course, as far as the Dreamcast knows, it's just connecting via a dial-up connection.

I was wondering if there is any way I could copy my discs over this kind of connection, or if any of the tools out there support this kind of connection. I can imagine it would be pretty slow, but I wouldn't have a problem with that.

If there's no possible way to do this, I understand. I may just have to start saving some money.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Hi there,

Technically it would be possible, but unfortunately none of the tools support dumping through this sort of method. :( Homebrew support for the Dreamcast modem has just begun to become a reality, and as such no homebrew software yet exists at all that supports the modem.

The only software we support for dumping is the httpd-ack software, which only supports the Broadband Adapter.

Cheaper serial cable and parallel cable setups exist, but the software for them isn't reliable and it has little room for configuration and do not support the format we dump in. They're also super slow.