Dumping without a BBA / Request?

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

eharima

Dumping without a BBA / Request?

Post by eharima »

Hey all, looking for some advice;

I dont have a BBA for dumping, Whats my options?
From what I gather I can either
1) hack a CD drive and use the 'disk swap' method on a PC
2) get an SD adapter and use 'dreamshell' to dump on an actual DC
3) request help from a kind person who has a set up and I can just send the disk.... :D!?
4) get a BBA/ dev kit/ some other expensive non viabile option

The game I am looking to get done is called 'Typing of the date' ( DATE not DEAD)
its a JP game that dosent seem to be in your list, or dumped on the net at all.

I have a Physical, mint, just opened, copy of it and want to run it on an emulator and 'contribute to the community' lets say.

I dont know the sites policy on 'helping' and 'piracy' ect so im carefully wording...

I only want to dump this one game, so im looking for a quick, cheap and dirty method, that being said, I am willing to BUY someone a copy of the game, if you are willing, honest, competent and will send me a copy of the dump.
as I also will have a real copy, I am allowed 1 digital copy by law.(UK)

Dont get me wrong, I more than willing to do the work, but from what I have researched, the best way is to dump with a BBA over HTTPD-ack, this seems to be the fastest and error less method.

I have an OLD OLD old dreamcast that randomly resets unless I run it caseless, its also PAL, will I be able to dump to SD with dreamshell from a JP GD-rom?

is finding a compatible cd drive for the disk swap worth the hassle?

as you can see, im a little confused, I just want to dump one game, so am not really intrested in getting a flush set up and learning the deep understanding of the method, as arrogant as that might sound...
Im learning Japanese so have enough to do as it is lol, jut wanted to use this as a learning tool, and well,
IT LOOKS HELLA FUN!

its a dating style sim, where you type out the answer, and try and keep the girl happy, if you get the good end you get a second date ect ... AWWW Yeah!

anyway, any advice is appreciated!
(or even if you can point me to a dump of this, because i really dont think it exist, let alone emu issues it may have huehue!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yetNjODA_I

darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Re: Dumping without a BBA / Request?

Post by darcagn »

The best thing for you to do would be to buy an SD card adapter if you can keep that Dreamcast running long enough to dump a whole disc (it shouldn't take that long). This wouldn't cost that much and would give you a perfect dump. It doesn't matter that the DC is PAL and the disc is NTSC-J.
eharima

Post by eharima »

Thanks, I ordered the SEGA DC Dreamcast XCKDIY from china, (forever waiting on postman -.-)

time to dig out that old DC while we wait and nostalgia overload those VMU saves!
shenmue? PSO? CHAO??? huehueh!
atreyu187

Post by atreyu187 »

Dreamshell will NOT give you a TOSEC compliant image and is a waste of time. You need DC SD Ripper v1.1 in order to dump a game properly. V1.0 will not work as it only dumps ISO format. Dreamshell dumps in ISO format and takes 4-7 hours to dump a disc while DC SD ripper takes 30-45 minutes to dump a TOSEC compliant BIN/RAW image. Doing the swap trick to dump is Redump BS and is again not TOSEC compliant. If you want I can dump it for you as I have done with several members here like fraggle420 and a few others if you can't get it sorted, I am in the USA but all those i have dumped for were UK based. Look up my Tokyo Xtreme Racer (JP) and Triggerheart Exelica (JP), and Space Channel 5 Part 2 (JP) all came from Euro users that sent me their disc to dump for the project. I have dumped a few hundred disc so I am sure I can do it for you. And BTW Typing of the Date is actually a cool game that can be played by English users as the typing is English characters not Kanji for those interested in this typing/dating sim. We don't allow the images to be hosted here but if you do dump it and can send it to me as a few other dumpers do here I can assure you it will make it into the loving arms of the TOSEC family.
eharima

Post by eharima »

Awsome, thanks man. Im just waiting on the SD reader, its tracked as dispatched from china so... zzz....

I have a copy of DC SD 1.1 (lucky!) so hopefully everything will go well when I get everything together,
what should I do / whats the difference in .bin and .iso rips?

.iso I can just boot from an emulator as its a 1;1 GDrom rip?
.bin is a full raw data disk rip with better access to TOC and such?
is there any other data or info you need like the ring number or whatever?

is it okay to just select <bin>all track and it will dump all of them?
I have a fue different class SD cards about is there any known good / not working cards or are they all ok?

but yeah sure I will post it on some tracker for anyone who wants it as im surprised i couldnt find it already.
atreyu187

Post by atreyu187 »

ISO isn't TOSEC compliant so rip BIN/RAW please.
eharima

Post by eharima »

IT CAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I got the transparent pink one to match my lovely sun discoloured Dreamcast! :D

So, dumping was hella easy and fast!
Grabbed a RAW and iso rip just incase. Seems to be a good dump, emulates great fue questions,

How should I name it? the dump is called disc.cdi... the official title is タイピングof the デート 
is it okay to put (Typing of the Date 「タイピングof theデート」(2001)(HUDSON)(NTSC)(JP)[!]

Also, how do I determin the version number? I notice alot of roms have v1.005 or something?

I want to submit it so you experts can do your TOSEC business but also get it picked up on popular iso hosts for Dreamcast so everyone can enjoy
so I want to make sure I got all the info needed >_<

I'm just making scans of the case and manual, got the ring number, .gdi, track 01.bin, 02.raw, 03.bin ip.bin track and info.txt

I'll assume this is a first time rip so I dont expect it to get listed or w/e but at least you will have something to compare to for the future.
please let me know if I am missing any info !

ill .rar this up and dump it on nyaa when its all ready
eharima

Post by eharima »

okay... so it's v1.000 and NullDC dosent support japanese symbol... it fails to load the rom if it has non english characters in it ....
thats a feature? lol.

EDIT;

okay what the heck? wait what?
why cant I run the .cdi with the .bin and .raw tracks 1,2&3 like the other roms i have?
I can boot the .cdi from the .iso
have I missed a step here?
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

do you mean .cdi or .gdi? .cdi files are discjuggler images, .gdi files are the small layout files for GD ROM dumps.

the gdi file is made for iso tracks, you have to change it if you want to switch sector size (change to bin).
eharima

Post by eharima »

yep, spinning out in confusion... thats what I meant... no idea why I put cdi.

okay, Yes I cannot run the .gdi with the track 1&3 .bin and track 2.raw
only works if i use the .gdi with the .iso tracks
but all the other dumps I have downloaded are the .gdi with .bin and .raw ????

did I dump it wrong?
[..... lots of thinking]

no,no,no I must be over complicating this.
sorry, what do you mean 'you have to change it if you want to switch sector size?'
change the .gdi? or .iso (i tried both to .bin, maybe i did it wrong xd)

Im confused because the other games i have are game.gdi .raw/.bin and they run
so i dont understand what i've not done

sorry for my noob ness....
eharima

Post by eharima »

get it while its hawt
I just dumped everything in one rar

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=view&tid=442779

http://www.multiupload.nl/7QZDVVA0EZ
executter

Post by executter »

content from your gdi with bin/raw :
1 0 4 2352 track01.bin 0
2 9299 0 2352 track02.raw 0
3 45000 4 2352 track03.bin 0
eharima

Post by eharima »

should I re dump the .gdi ?
atreyu187

Post by atreyu187 »

The GDI is fine, any chance of getting the ring code off the bottom of the disc as that is just as important as the data itself.
Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »

It's in the info.txt: RING NUMBER: T-14307M-0767 4 A1 IFPI L155