Dumping using JJ1ODM's Parallel port ripper.

This forum is for the discussion of dumping games. Get help with your dumping here.

Moderator: Moderators

MrSporty

Dumping using JJ1ODM's Parallel port ripper.

Post by MrSporty »

For anyone who hasn't seen it before there is another option other than serial or BBA ripping.

http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/index.php

Scroll to the bottom of that page (a lot if in japanese but not the good bit) and you will find instructions for hooking up your DC's serial port to the LPT port of your PC.

You need to be running Win 9x as the software uses direct hardware access to bit bang the lpt port but ive been getting great results with the interface dumping at approx the stated 100k a second. It uses sector compression so dumping games with a large Track03.iso is even quicker (the TOC+padding track).

It gives you .raw and .iso tracks and also a nicely formatted track listing txt file .. i.e:

[READY 2 RUMBLE BOXING ROUND 2]
no type start(physical) size MB
session 1:
1 DATA 0 ( 150) 671 1M
2 AUDIO 671 ( 821) 5950 13M
session 2:
3 DATA 45000 ( 45150) 27366 56M
4 AUDIO 72366 ( 72516) 525 1M
5 DATA 72891 ( 73041) 476259 975M

The only thing i seem to be having a slight problem with is the fact that it usually seems to fully dump the 4th audio track fully. IF it does fail on that track tho it is ALWAYS 150 sectors too short so im maybe guessing its to do with the TOC offset. Either way the dumps still seem to boot with a correctly formatted .GDI.

Anyone interested in further experimentation lemme know .. just seemed like an effective (and at under 3 hours for a FULL data disk , hellishly faster than serial) way of dumping if you don't mind a touch of fine soldering.

MrS
________
Ducati 851
Last edited by MrSporty on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Re: Dumping using JJ1ODM's Parallel port ripper.

Post by darcagn »

MrSporty wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen it before there is another option other than serial or BBA ripping.

http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/index.php

Scroll to the bottom of that page (a lot if in japanese but not the good bit) and you will find instructions for hooking up your DC's serial port to the LPT port of your PC.

You need to be running Win 9x as the software uses direct hardware access to bit bang the lpt port but ive been getting great results with the interface dumping at approx the stated 100k a second. It uses sector compression so dumping games with a large Track03.iso is even quicker (the TOC+padding track).

It gives you .raw and .iso tracks and also a nicely formatted track listing txt file .. i.e:

[READY 2 RUMBLE BOXING ROUND 2]
no type start(physical) size MB
session 1:
1 DATA 0 ( 150) 671 1M
2 AUDIO 671 ( 821) 5950 13M
session 2:
3 DATA 45000 ( 45150) 27366 56M
4 AUDIO 72366 ( 72516) 525 1M
5 DATA 72891 ( 73041) 476259 975M

The only thing i seem to be having a slight problem with is the fact that it usually seems to fully dump the 4th audio track fully. IF it does fail on that track tho it is ALWAYS 150 sectors too short so im maybe guessing its to do with the TOC offset. Either way the dumps still seem to boot with a correctly formatted .GDI.

Anyone interested in further experimentation lemme know .. just seemed like an effective (and at under 3 hours for a FULL data disk , hellishly faster than serial) way of dumping if you don't mind a touch of fine soldering.

MrS
The 150 sectors it's cutting off is the pregap from the next track. It's unreadable anyway.

But that is definitely an interesting page, thanks for sharing, I am going to save all of that stuff in case the site goes down.
MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

Cheers for letting me know about the pregap.. solves that little quandry.

The cable is pretty easy to knock together. You don't need to follow the resistor values too religiously, i used 33ohm for the data lines and a 4.7k for the pullup because thats all i had to hand and it connects and dumps fine.

If you could get hold of a DC serial cable then you could even make the interface without opening your DC at all. Me , i just soldered 5 wires to the PCB and ran them out of the air vents at the back.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4OFR0EE8

Theres a selfboot .CDI image of the ripping util to make life easier. I can't remember if DiscJuggler complains about an error but it works either way.

MrS
________
Roor Bong
shindakun

Post by shindakun »

MrSporty wrote:Cheers for letting me know about the pregap.. solves that little quandry.

The cable is pretty easy to knock together. You don't need to follow the resistor values too religiously, i used 33ohm for the data lines and a 4.7k for the pullup because thats all i had to hand and it connects and dumps fine.

If you could get hold of a DC serial cable then you could even make the interface without opening your DC at all. Me , i just soldered 5 wires to the PCB and ran them out of the air vents at the back.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4OFR0EE8

Theres a selfboot .CDI image of the ripping util to make life easier. I can't remember if DiscJuggler complains about an error but it works either way.

MrS
Well, I'll be damned... I think I'll grab another Dreamcast (or two) off of Ebay and try this out. Much cheaper then buying the BBA - too bad the speed isn't a bit better. :(

Which 5 lines did you solder on the DC? I swear the wiring diagram had six total. *edit* Never mind I am blind it seems. ;)
.shin
MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

The 5 cables were the 4 data lines plus ground. I added the pullup internally just cos it was easier for me to solder it that way.

I have emailed Chaos (JJ10DM) to see if i could talk him into releasing some source for his apps but he hasn't replied as of yet.

TBH im more of a hardware guy and it looks pretty feasible to hook up a much faster interface directly to the DC's G2 bus. Its a 16 bit multiplexed AD bus and with the right interface i could knock together something like a usb dumper that would run at speeds much the same as the BBA.

MrS

P.S Im looking for someone to help me compare the PAL dumps im getting with ones of their own BBA dumped images. Ive only got RTR Round 2, Hidden and Dangerous and Coaster Wortks atm but help would be great.
________
Sc2 replay
shindakun

Post by shindakun »

MrSporty wrote:The 5 cables were the 4 data lines plus ground. I added the pullup internally just cos it was easier for me to solder it that way.

I have emailed Chaos (JJ10DM) to see if i could talk him into releasing some source for his apps but he hasn't replied as of yet.

TBH im more of a hardware guy and it looks pretty feasible to hook up a much faster interface directly to the DC's G2 bus. Its a 16 bit multiplexed AD bus and with the right interface i could knock together something like a usb dumper that would run at speeds much the same as the BBA.

MrS

P.S Im looking for someone to help me compare the PAL dumps im getting with ones of their own BBA dumped images. Ive only got RTR Round 2, Hidden and Dangerous and Coaster Wortks atm but help would be great.
Yeah I went back and took a better look at it and noticed that I misread it. :oops: Hooking up a USB dump method would indeed be great - that's beyond my hardware knowledge so I'll leave that to you. ;)

There is an RTR dump in the EU dump section it's listed as version 1.001 - maybe by chance yours is too. ;)
.shin
MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

I spotted that RTRR2 info but at the bottom he states it came from a pre-production copy. My dump seems to be about 80 meg larger on track5 but it came from a full retail copy.

MrS
________
Ultimate fighter
fackue

Post by fackue »

MrSporty wrote:TBH im more of a hardware guy and it looks pretty feasible to hook up a much faster interface directly to the DC's G2 bus. Its a 16 bit multiplexed AD bus and with the right interface i could knock together something like a usb dumper that would run at speeds much the same as the BBA.
http://www.geocities.com/pboese@sbcglob ... usbcc.html
MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

Thanks for that link, it's one id already seen and although it is an improvement over the standard serial cable it isn't the same principle as the above idea.

What i was suggesting is to break away from using the serial port altogether and use the G2 bus (The modem / BBA connector bus) to interface a custom usb setup to. FTDI make some great USB proto modules that make usb interfacing a doddle. Throw in maybe a micro or even just some discrete logic and you'd have a pretty spanky high speed dumping setup .... given the correct DC side software of course :(

MrS
________
HELP IN LOVE
MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

Just a quick note for anyone trying to burn the .CDI image mentioned above.

It works fine if burned in DiscJuggler.

Alcohol 120% seems NOT to burn correctly and you will end up with a disk that hangs at the sega screen.

Thanks to shindakun for the heads up.

MrS
________
Weed
fackue

Post by fackue »

What i was suggesting is to break away from using the serial port altogether and use the G2 bus (The modem / BBA connector bus) to interface a custom usb setup to. FTDI make some great USB proto modules that make usb interfacing a doddle. Throw in maybe a micro or even just some discrete logic and you'd have a pretty spanky high speed dumping setup .... given the correct DC side software of course
Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Ace

Post by Ace »

I made one of these cables the other day and tested it out last night by copying Sonic Adventure (PAL). It seems to work ok but the md5 code for track1 and 3 don't match these http://dumpcast.thekickback.com/forum/v ... c.php?t=23 I think track3 might be corrupt because I get errors when I try and open it in anything but track1 opens fine. Track2 has the same md5 so that is something. :)

Could someone please explain to me how I go about converting the 3 track files into something the dreamcast or nulldc can read so I can test it?.

Cheers Ace.
Maddog
is awesome
is awesome

Post by Maddog »

MD5 checksums in the topic you link are for the "cooked" 2048 isos.
If you are ripping to "raw" .bin, it's absolutely normal that you are not getting same checksums.
In any case, Sonic Adventure PAL has been verified and is already in the dats (found in the main page)

Here are the verified checksums and sizes for raw tracks 1+3. If you are getting the same, your dump is correct.

track01.bin size 26721072 crc 2ef14020 md5 b9ed5dc4b9b183501ffb7f718a0d1f69 sha1 39f1cd8f99667d22fdb292f0af55129d7443bcaf

track03.bin size 1185760800 crc cb447185 md5 4df671c2091877bc3dd9b8907649ded4 sha1 3211dbdb233c12d8d5af852c05f6c2c0d3ba3c1e
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Maddog wrote:MD5 checksums in the topic you link are for the "cooked" 2048 isos.
If you are ripping to "raw" .bin, it's absolutely normal that you are not getting same checksums.
In any case, Sonic Adventure PAL has been verified and is already in the dats (found in the main page)

Here are the verified checksums and sizes for raw tracks 1+3. If you are getting the same, your dump is correct.

track01.bin size 26721072 crc 2ef14020 md5 b9ed5dc4b9b183501ffb7f718a0d1f69 sha1 39f1cd8f99667d22fdb292f0af55129d7443bcaf

track03.bin size 1185760800 crc cb447185 md5 4df671c2091877bc3dd9b8907649ded4 sha1 3211dbdb233c12d8d5af852c05f6c2c0d3ba3c1e
It sounds to me that he is dumping cooked ISOs with this parallel port ripper, but the parallel port ripping software cuts the extra 150 sectors like the BBA method, whereas the serial method az_bont used in that linked thread appends the 150 sectors as zeros.
Ace

Post by Ace »

The Sonic Adventure disc I copied is an original disc. I cleaned the disc and laser and copied the game again and the files came out identical, so I think it is working.

Could someone please explain to me how I convert/burn the 3 tracks to a CDI file or CDR so I can test it?.

Cheers.