Selfbooting Dumpcast games?

Post discussions on how to downsample and hack CD-based games here. Discuss the best ways to fit your backed-up game onto a CD-R, or other ways to play GDI files on a real console.

Moderator: Moderators

darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

By the way, if you want to verify this, when you use ISOBuster to extract all of the files from track03, check the size of all of the files you extracted combined--they should be around the same size as your final trackXX.iso file. :)
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

darcagn wrote: Try using -3 instead of -0.

As for the cuesheet, by "only sees the first data track contents" do you mean that CDmage only sees track01?
I just tried -3 and the DC still goes to the BIOS screen after trying to play the History movie.

For the cuesheet, yeah I meant track03 but I have now managed to extract KOF99's files just fine.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

OK, so extracting data from track03 will be extracting all the files. thanks again ;)
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Vegeta wrote:I just tried -3 and the DC still goes to the BIOS screen after trying to play the History movie.
This is quite peculiar. According to all of the entries for VF3TB on El Bucanero's RipDB, there isn't any special thing to do. 2 of them say that no downsampling is required, while one says that downsampling is required to fit the game on a CD-R. I am not familiar with VF3TB, is it possible that the movie file was left off of the disc? I know that seems silly, but it's the last idea that I have. :?
Vegeta wrote:For the cuesheet, yeah I meant track03 but I have now managed to extract KOF99's files just fine.
Excellent. :)
Shoometsu wrote:OK, so extracting data from track03 will be extracting all the files. thanks again ;)
No problem, happy selfbooting! :)
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

darcagn wrote:
This is quite peculiar. According to all of the entries for VF3TB on El Bucanero's RipDB, there isn't any special thing to do. 2 of them say that no downsampling is required, while one says that downsampling is required to fit the game on a CD-R. I am not familiar with VF3TB, is it possible that the movie file was left off of the disc? I know that seems silly, but it's the last idea that I have. :?
The movie files are there but for some reason aren't being loaded by the selfboot copy.

The two files are:

MOVIE_A.SFD
MOVIE_B.SFD

I didn't have to downsample anything to get the game to fit a 80-min CD-R.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Sorry man, I'm at a loss. :(
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

No problem, you've been a big help :wink:

I found something at another site which I'll give a try tommorow.

http://www.theisonews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62677

Check the last post.
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Vegeta wrote:No problem, you've been a big help :wink:

I found something at another site which I'll give a try tommorow.

http://www.theisonews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62677

Check the last post.
Ah, seems as though there were more files to hack! If you didn't check any folders for .BIN files as well, they could be hiding on you. ;)
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

darcagn wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Just a question on the CDDA RAW audio files. Do they need any kind of conversion?
Nope, they're just raw tracks and you can just burn them when you burn the game. If you want wavs from them, you can use raw2wav, but they will burn fine as raws.
Of note is that raw2wav will also trim the silent audio at the end of tracks (approximately 2 seconds) when converting. This is significant if you are going to re-burn them with software that will introduce its own gaps between tracks--as I think cdrecord does, and as most burning software will by default--because if you keep the unaltered RAWs, you will then have a total of four seconds of silence between tracks.
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

I just made a selfboot copy of KOF99DM but the CDDA doesn't play. I did use cdda.exe on the 1st_read.bin.

Have I missed something?

I followed Echelons CDDA selfboot tutorial exactly.
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

My only experience with self-booting CDDA games has, so far, been restricted to those which rely on Windows CE, and patching was not required. However, I'd suggest trying out CDDA Patcher v1.10 by Darkfalz as an alternative.
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Also managed to get VF3TB's movies working by using hack3 and the LBA value of 11702 :)
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

Ok, I just made another selfboot of KOF99DM. Most tracks play just fine but some don't for some reason even though the sound files are fine :shock:
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Vegeta wrote:Ok, I just made another selfboot of KOF99DM. Most tracks play just fine but some don't for some reason even though the sound files are fine :shock:
This might have something to do with cdda.exe. You followed the Echelon Self-boot Tutorial; did you also add the three dummy tracks before the CDDA like it tells you to? If I properly understand what it's doing (I haven't done a CDDA selfboot in a while, and I am still on a Mac right now so I can't test things out), I think cdda.exe, besides fixing the binary for CDDA (instead of GDDA), changes the references to CDDA in the binaries to have them play from the first track on the disc, instead of the fourth track (so you don't waste disc space on 3 blank tracks), like the Echelon Self-boot tutorial assumes. So those tracks that "don't play" might really be playing, but it might be playing one of the 3 blank tracks at the front of your disc. You might want to try removing them and see what results you get then.
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

I didn't use 3 blank tracks. I would of figured out that this is the cause because all of the tracks would of played wrong but the music that does play is the correct music so the tracks are in the proper order but not all of them play which I find to be quite strange.

Meanwhile I've succesfully selfbooted Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter III W Impact & Street Fighter Zero 3, all JP region :)
Last edited by Vegeta on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.