Suggestions for the format

This forum is for discussing Dumpcast or the TOSEC project itself. Post suggestions or ask questions about the project or the website here.

Moderator: Moderators

Quzar

Suggestions for the format

Post by Quzar »

First of all, as you've noticed, all the titles I've uploaded have version number. This is because mine are all pre-production copies and thus quite possibly have different versions as the normal one (the only duplicate one so far though has a different product code).

Second of all, I suggest some soft of unique file names for the tracks. The idea behind it being that someone currently can't put multiple games into one folder due to the naming convention (track01, track02...). It would make much more sense to name it at least "product code (region) (version) - track #.xxx" The idea is just to be a bit less verbose than the giant name: "Game name (region) [product code] (version) - track#.xxx"

The second would also make sense though.

Last thing would be to be pedantic and put all the rim text. This text holds information related to the product code, as well as where it was produced (the IFPI number indicates what, if any, IFPI affiliated organization saught to have it cataloged). These numbers may be, in some cases, points that could lead to uniquely identifying otherwise identical discs.
I only upload the information, not images.
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

I'd go along with the 1st one...2nd one tho...no...to me that would seem like a huge mess. I can script around games being in folders far as using a FE for nullDC.

I think for the second it would be more ideal for nullDC and other possible Emu's to treat the gdi file as a pointer. Firstly to check current folder level the gdi is in for assets, if none there check for a like named folder for the required assets.

The last one I have no comment on.
Quzar

Post by Quzar »

Just realized one more thing. Product code should be determined by the ip, not the physical disc or case. This way it will always conform to the 10-character maximum (removing trailing white space makes sense though). If the product number has different formatting elsewhere it should just be noted. The only deviation from this should be the adding of dashes ('-') since apparently there wasn't a standardized way to deal with this by devs (some ips show the product code with the dash and some without).
Nologic

Post by Nologic »

Well 50% of my content has no manual, 30% doesn't have the original case...and 100% don't have boxes...so more or less if I can't pull the data off the disc its self...I have no where to get it.

I'm willing in general to fall in with anything thats in my means to do...but I am limited...as none of my disc's are collector value...thats not to say they are bad quality...just not some thing a collector would have (in original packaging and undamaged in any fashion).
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Quzar wrote:Just realized one more thing. Product code should be determined by the ip, not the physical disc or case. This way it will always conform to the 10-character maximum (removing trailing white space makes sense though). If the product number has different formatting elsewhere it should just be noted. The only deviation from this should be the adding of dashes ('-') since apparently there wasn't a standardized way to deal with this by devs (some ips show the product code with the dash and some without).
Strictly doing it by IP was the route we had originally chosen to go. The product number has been a huge pain in the ass, though. The IP is not always right.

Code: Select all

«&az_bont» resident evil 2 has a different product number on the disc
«&az_bont» in the ip.bin, it ends in 50
«&az_bont» on the disc, 61
«&az_bont» according to the finnish database, 61 can be one of three:
«&az_bont» 61 - ENG, ITA
«&az_bont» 61 - ENG, ESP, ITA
«&az_bont» 61 - ENG, ESP, FRA, ITA
«&az_bont» the back of the case has english, spanish and italian
«&az_bont» whereas for 50, it list four different combinations, none of which match what the back of the box says
«&az_bont» 50 - ENG, FRA, GER
«&az_bont» 50 - ENG, ESP, FRA, GER
«&az_bont» 50 - ENG, ESP, FRA, GER, ITA
«&az_bont» 50 - ENG, ESP, FRA, GER, ITA, NLD
«~|darc|» god damnit...
«&az_bont» it is, as far as i can see, my only uk/pal disc that doesn't end in 50
«&az_bont» but on the other hand
«&az_bont» it may well be one of the few games to actually have multiple pal releases
«&az_bont» the only ones i know of for sure are uefa and 102 dalmations, and i only have the non-uk discs for those
«&az_bont» i think that the number on the box/disc is more likely to be publically recorded
«&az_bont» if we were to hope to find some sort of list somewhere
«&az_bont» and it also fits with the finnish database
«&az_bont» and they already put two spaces into the product name, which is wrong, so i don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that they might have got it wrong in the ip.bin altogether
«&az_bont» my gut says to go with the disc, but make a comment about it
«&az_bont» if the german release were to turn up, for example, and had the same number on the ip.bin, it would be a nightmare
The number on the disc seems like it is the most correct, so that is what we have chosen so far.
Quzar

Post by Quzar »

Since stuff like that is being noted when the issue arises, it seems like it's all good anyways.

What do you think of version number though?
SEGAKatana

Post by SEGAKatana »

Will there be some sort of "special" format for HKT-06 GD-R prototype games? Most of them, if not all, just have a product number of 61000000 and the game title as: THIS IS A SAMPLE DISK FOR USE IN THE OFFICE ONLY DO NOT RESELL DO NOT CARRY OUT FROM THE OFFICE.
Quzar

Post by Quzar »

SEGAKatana wrote:Will there be some sort of "special" format for HKT-06 GD-R prototype games? Most of them, if not all, just have a product number of 61000000 and the game title as: THIS IS A SAMPLE DISK FOR USE IN THE OFFICE ONLY DO NOT RESELL DO NOT CARRY OUT FROM THE OFFICE.
Probably written title, developer, and/or date.
SEGAKatana

Post by SEGAKatana »

Yeah, sounds good. In the long run, it will be better to use the info on the front of GD-R discs + IP.BIN info.

Title:
Version:
Date:
Disc No.:
Company:
Stamp No. (For Q.A):

Hardware ID:
Hardware Vendor ID:
Media ID:
Media Config:
Region(s):
Peripheral String:
Product Number:
Version:
Release Date:
First-read Filename:
Manufacturer's Name / ID:
Application Title:
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

Quzar wrote:Since stuff like that is being noted when the issue arises, it seems like it's all good anyways.

What do you think of version number though?
Do you know of any case where a retail game had more than one version under the same title?

If not, I would say leave the version number out of the title if it's a retail copy; if it is not a retail copy then include the version number to differentiate.
SEGAKatana wrote:Yeah, sounds good. In the long run, it will be better to use the info on the front of GD-R discs + IP.BIN info.

Title:
Version:
Date:
Disc No.:
Company:
Stamp No. (For Q.A):

Hardware ID:
Hardware Vendor ID:
Media ID:
Media Config:
Region(s):
Peripheral String:
Product Number:
Version:
Release Date:
First-read Filename:
Manufacturer's Name / ID:
Application Title:
Yes, go ahead and do that; sounds good.
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

The method I was thinking of was to use the product number from the IP.BIN, but to format it in the standard way it appears on the disc. Conflicting numbers between IP.BIN and the physical disc/case can be dealt with as they arise.

I'm not too sure about how to handle multiple versions of a single retail game, but I don't think we should go about giving every single game a version number when the vast majority likely only saw a single release. My preference would be for only including a version number when we know there are multiple versions - or only adding a version number to the releases that were subsequent to the original release, which I believe is the usual method for GoodTools and ADVANsCEne, amongst others.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

I want to suggest a track naming convention. this shoud be very useful for us to create the .gdi, storing them in a same folder. the names may have the game code taken from the disc since boxes/paperboxes/m,edia may not match, somehow. also, it may have the game version, and track number (obviously :P). some examples (yes, I know, we should make it better). any ideas?

HDR-0002_01.bin
HDR-0002_02.raw
HDR-0002_03.bin

or also including version:

HDR-0002v1.000_01.bin
HDR-0002v1.000_02.raw
HDR-0002v1.000_03.bin

HDR-0002_v1000_01.bin
HDR-0002_v1000_02.raw
HDR-0002_v1000_03.bin

HDR-0002_v1000_t01.bin
HDR-0002_v1000_t02.raw