Is "overburning" correct.

Post discussions on how to downsample and hack CD-based games here. Discuss the best ways to fit your backed-up game onto a CD-R, or other ways to play GDI files on a real console.

Moderator: Moderators

schnappy

Is "overburning" correct.

Post by schnappy »

Hey guys,
nice to see that DC communites still exist, I'm getting my DC soon. I have a cdi image of a game, since i've heard that GD-ROMS have a bad rep for how fragile they are I'm making backups of it.

The cdi image is 720mb, a bit to big for a cd. A tutorial I read says;
Change Mode to Mode1/DVD and TOC should be CD-ROM/DVD.
In the misc area chech the box RAW Write and Overburn CD.
This "overburning" sounds kind of unconvetional, since the most obvious method would be to rip files and reduce bit rates of sound and video files. The game runs ok from my cd drive using Chankast, however it does run slow at some parts (when I run the game off of a virtual drive, daemon tools, it runs perfectly). Is the overburning the culprit of this reduced performance or is it just that cd drives are slower than hdd's? The resulting DC cd is 630mb.

Thanks
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

CDI images are always larger than the data that actually gets burned to the CD. The large majority of games have had their bitrates reduced and appropriate files ripped in order to fit onto a standard 80min CD-R. VERY rarely there have been amateur groups that have released non-ripped CDI files that require overburning or 90min/99min CD-Rs. For the people who have drives that burn larger CDs this is nicer because they have higher quality video/audio.

The disc image you burned, if it says that it's 630MB, has not been overburned, unless there were a bunch of CDDA tracks. Offhand, it sounds like 630MB is the right size data track for a 80min disc with a standard 45000-sector first session, so I'd wager that it has not been overburned.

It just sounds like either the CD drive is accessed slower.

I would recommend using nullDC instead; I don't use Chankast at all anymore.
schnappy

Post by schnappy »

Thanks for the info, also NullDC generally runs better so thanks for that as well.

So does an overburnt disc create any problems when playing on a Dreamcast? Or, can it?
darcagn
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by darcagn »

It shouldn't have any problems reading it, as long as it isn't overburned too much.
schnappy

Post by schnappy »

Got my DC 10 mins ago, had some trouble tuning it in with the RF unit, but it is working perfectly!

The overburnt disc runs perfectly as well, thx. Best 100 dollars I ever spent.
B.I.G. leopard

Post by B.I.G. leopard »

VERY rarely there have been amateur groups that have released non-ripped CDI files that require overburning or 90min/99min CD-Rs. For the people who have drives that burn larger CDs this is nicer because they have higher quality video/audio.
I have Pioneer 110d, and my drive is capable to burn ~900mb on 99min cd-r.:) Where I can find that rare "non-ripped CDI files"? :?: