Using a generic name for the gdi files inside archives?

This forum is for discussing Dumpcast or the TOSEC project itself. Post suggestions or ask questions about the project or the website here.

Moderator: Moderators

Quzar

Using a generic name for the gdi files inside archives?

Post by Quzar »

Using a generic name for them just like the tracks. It's already not possible to have multiple dumps in the same folder since the track names are the same (track**.***).

By using a generic name for the gdi file, whenever naming convention changes occur, the data within the archives would never need be changed. (yes I realize this would mean every file would be different in the next update, but they would all be easily generatable from the preexisting ones).
I only upload the information, not images.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

I had the same problem here. I'm using this format here

[GAME ID]_[VERSION]_[TRACK #].bin
ie.:

[GDI RAW] Sonic Adventure International [NTSC-J][HDR-0043][V1.003]
HDR0043_1003_01.bin
HDR0043_1003_02.raw
HDR0043_1003_03.bin

(something from neo geo rom naming convention, if you ask me :P )

Since the game id is unique for each region, I chose mentioning the game version. I guess that this shoud be enough to identify from wich game the track was dumped, or not (??)
Quzar

Post by Quzar »

Well, I don't think the track names are as much of an issue as the gdi name. Either way, I would say that it should either be generic names for all files (disc.gdi, track01.bin, track02.raw ...) or descriptive names for all (game_name.gdi, game_track01.bin etc).

The problem with the latter of the two is that nullDC has a 256 character limit for file paths and drk says he won't up it because he doesn't care.

With that in mind, I would reccomend folder/archive with a descriptive name, then the interior having generic names.
I only upload the information, not images.
Shoometsu

Post by Shoometsu »

It was just the way that i Organize the files here, but also using this persoanl naming convension. Each folder with game title and tracks inside it.