Bad dumps

This forum is for discussing Dumpcast or the TOSEC project itself. Post suggestions or ask questions about the project or the website here.

Moderator: Moderators

CaH4e3

Bad dumps

Post by CaH4e3 »

I think, dumping without checking dumps is useless. At least D2 disk 1 have A TON of bad sectors after 395361 sector (they all are zeroed in iso file and can be detected only in RAW mode). I have another D2 dump that HAVE this sectors filled with data.
MD5 for right GD-ROM1/4 dump: 8FE64A393CBA9C17C436CD1216C53523.

If you dump games and do some stuff, you should CHECK your dumps before. Think of it especially for "biggest DC game ever" (speaking about useless traffic).
Mozgus

Post by Mozgus »

If you could run some comparisons with some of my dumps, that would be great.
CaH4e3

Post by CaH4e3 »

List of zeroed sectors from dcast's release:
http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/misc/d2_dcast.txt

This is complete list of sectors filled with data in dump i own here but zeroed in your dump. Sector numbers are in hex notation, this is a number of chunks of 2048 bytes from start of file.

http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/misc/dccheck.rar

Here very simple tool for searching zeroed sectors in iso files. Just searching zero filled sectors and testing for non zero data around them. Zeroed sectors may be part of normal good data, this tool couldn't say that sectors is exactly GOOD or BAD, just shows most probable bad areas...
Majinseed

Post by Majinseed »

in fact, the only way to guarantee a "good" dump would be to dump every game from different discs using different setups (dc, pc and so on...).

i know its not easy (eventually not doable because of lack of resources/help), but there just is no other way to ensure that one of those dumps is really an exact dump of that disc.

in fact right now the possibility of updated games came to my mind... dunno if there are any dc-games which were sold in V1.0, V1.1 etc (e.g.), but those wouldn't give an matching CRC nontheless how often they get dumped...

just my 2 cents...
az_bont
Site Founder & Admin
Site Founder & Admin

Post by az_bont »

From re-ripping the games with another Dreamcast, I found that The House of the Dead 2, Virtua Tennis and WWF Attitude had exactly matching MD5 sums. ChuChu Rocket was originally ripped with the same Dreamcast, but from two different copies, with each track having exactly-matching MD5s. However, the second disc of Skies of Arcadia and D2 (at least the first disc, haven't yet checked the others) did not match, so I am assuming they are faulty.

The issue of multiple versions of the same game can be handled by checking the version number that is contained in the IP.BIN and extracted by ip2post.

I am currently trying to compile a version of bero's dreamrip for BBA that would instead extract data tracks as RAW (2352bytes/sector, including all error correction information) as opposed to ISO (2048bytes/sector, just the data). However, I am struggling to get it to compile - his source code is notoriously difficult to get working, and I am completely new to it.
CaH4e3

Post by CaH4e3 »

D2 disks 2, 3 and 4 matches with disks I have. So, looks like only disk 1 dumped bad.
LokiX

Post by LokiX »

az_bont wrote:... the second disc of Skies of Arcadia and D2 (at least the first disc, haven't yet checked the others) did not match, so I am assuming they are faulty.
I'm not enterily sure this problem I'm having is related to the bad dump of the 2nd disc of Skies of Arcadia, but every random battle on the second disc, just before it goes to experience screen, the game crashes accusing a uknown opcode.

Again, not sure the dump is to blame, but az, if you can do some testing with the other dump here's the save file:
http://www.4shared.com/file/14593431/7d ... _save.html