Windows Problem(s)!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows Problem(s)!

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue with my HTPC. It's running just fine, but I have a few questions about some odd things.

1) The chassis fan is super loud, so I disabled it. The computer runs at a decent temp (130 degrees F idle, 150 under some load), but I'm unsure on whether or not I should buy a replacement fan that is quiet. It's a Dual-Core Pentium with 45nm architecture, so I think it should be alright. My video card is cooled with a heat sink.

2) Windows Explorer crashes whenever I start the computer up. Is there a way to reinstall Explorer only? Would I have to reinstall Windows over that? Would I be able to keep everything I have on there? I haven't played around with a Windows computer in years, so I'm unfamiliar on what is going on right now (it feels super weird to say that).

3) Sleep doesn't work! I know Windows has some issues with sleep, but all of my components are brand name and seem to work just fine. I've managed to get it to the point where everything turns off just fine, except for the chassis fan (main reason I unplugged it). What could be causing that?

BTW I am using Windows XP with SP3... it may have a registry hack to appear genuine. My dad has several licenses, just fishing one out from my parents' place would be a huge hassle.

kthnxbye
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Windows Problem(s)!

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MulletMan13 wrote:I am using Windows
Found your problem :twisted:

Seriously, though: if Explorer is having trouble, the easiest thing to do is probably just to reinstall Windows overtop of your current installation. As long as you don't have any significant hacks or modifications installed, it should be the easiest (read: least involved, least effort required) way to clear up a system problem like that.

When I had an XP-based machine, I actually backed up all my documents once a year or so, wiped my hard drive, and reinstalled everything from scratch so that I'd be running a fresh install. It was the only effective way I ever found of keeping the machine running quickly and cleanly.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Test your RAM (using memtest86+ for example) and HDD (preferably using a "drive fitness test" tool from the manufacturer). Bizarre problems with Windows that aren't caused by malware are usually caused by faulty hardware (3.1/9x/ME notwithstanding).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I would have to second Ex-Cyber. If you have dual sticks of ram make sure you test them separately and together.