Sbi & Plain File Differences

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Sbi & Plain File Differences

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I can't find this anywhere, but are there any differences in the programs binary in sbi files and plain files? The sbi bin is unscrambled, and the plain files(selfbooting) is scrambled. Am I right on this?
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sbi & Plain File Differences

Post by DCDayDreamer »

I.M. Weasel wrote:I can't find this anywhere, but are there any differences in the programs binary in sbi files and plain files? The sbi bin is unscrambled, and the plain files(selfbooting) is scrambled. Am I right on this?
It depends how the plainfiles were originally released, sometimes plainfiles are released as unscrambled, sometimes scrambled ready to make a selfbooting CD. The only real difference is the plainfiles are packaged into an SBI file for ease of use in compilations via Dream Inducer, and the files need to be unscrambled for Dream Inducer to boot them.
Across the Universe
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Is there a way to check whether the files are scrambled or unscrambled, without doing anything with them? or will scrambling an already scrambled bin mess it up?
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Is there a way to check whether the files are scrambled or unscrambled, without doing anything with them? or will scrambling an already scrambled bin mess it up?
There's a few apps around to check binary files (scrambling an already scrambled bin will render it useless by the way), fackue's Bin Checker is useful:

Bin Checker

BootDreams (also by fackue) checks the binaries too:

BootDreams
Across the Universe
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Unfortunately, I think all of the apps available to check the bins run on Windows. I'm not sure if any of them are available for Mac or not.

IIRC, it's possible (though not always 100% reliable) to open the bins in a hex editor and look for plain text inside of the file. If you find a good amount of readable text in the file, it most likely is unscrambled.

Also - when it came to plain file packages, the majority of the time, if the file was called 1stread.bin, that meant it was scrambled. If it had a more descriptive name, it was most likely unscrambled.

There were a few old packages that didn't keep with that standard, but that's usually the way it was done.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.