SEGA: Keeping the Dream alive

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SEGA: Keeping the Dream alive

Post by APE »

A few fries short of a happy meal.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Re: SEGA: Keeping the Dream alive

Post by curt_grymala »

They care about something, but is it really about a new DC? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I know I'd pre-order if there ever was one, but I'll not hold my breath.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

If there was a Dreamcast 2 I would be iffy on buying it because of what Sega has become, but I feel like I have had this discussion on these boards before.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I remember the Digg story that came a day or two before the one mentioned in the article: "Bring back the Dreamcast!" It had somewhere around 2500 diggs, which is a lot, for those who aren't very familiar with the site. Seeing it made me feel slightly less crazy for all the years of obsessing over my Dreamcast.

Also, the current GameFAQs poll asks "Which 'failed' game system do you have the fondest memories of?" Dreamcast has a significant lead (granted, the competition isn't that strong). Link.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I saw that poll, the Dreamcast was the only "failed" system that was actually popular on that list.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Just because they renewed the patent/copyright/whatever doesn't really mean anything. That is a standard practice by most companies. Just like George Luca's has copyrights to Episodes of Star Wars that he knows he will never make. I guess it just keeps somebody else from doing it?

It wouldn't be in Sega's best interest to make another system. Shoot Sega hasn't even made any must have titles in a long time. Very few people at this point are going to want to go buy another game system, especially from a company that has pretty much failed on the last few consoles they made(at least by comparison to its competition).

Im sure if a Dreamcast 2 came along it would not be anymore homebrew friendly then the other 3 consoles on the market right now.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

In my opinion the Dreamcast is the best "failed" console by a landslide. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmue 1 and 2 and so on. Sure the 3DO had "Gex" and the Jaguar had "AVP" but the experience those games bring is nothing compared to the Dreamcast. I'd love to go back and play some Dreamcast games for the first time again. They are still fun to this day, but some of that spark is missing now due to completing the games several times.. :cry:
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Veggita2099 wrote:Just because they renewed the patent/copyright/whatever doesn't really mean anything.
The way I interpreted it is that the whole point of the article is that Sega did not "renew" the patents on the Dreamcast, they filed a whole slew of new patents on Dreamcast hardware. The patents that already exist for the current DC console and its peripherals are all still valid, but Sega filed a bunch of new patents for similar hardware.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

There is still a lot of untapped life under the hood of our beloved DC. Although it is gonna take some lateral thinking to capitalize on it. The hardware under the hood by our standards is quite old and obsolete. We have Wii's, PS3's, Xbox's etc etc. Selling the DC in a western market just isn't feasible (although there is some potential in software)

But for the rest of the world the DC still contains some valued technology in its shell. Not only can it play some of the best games ever released it also has the ability to connect its users to the rest of the world (internet) At a very low production cost.

With some slight modifications to the DC's hardware it could be quite a capable means to a low cost PC. Add a little extra ram, a small HDD or an SD slot for storage, and some updated web browsing/word processing software. Bundle it with a small keyboard and your set.

games and additional software can be available for download over the net or at kiosks (think nintendo's ique)

It wouldn't exactly be low risk for Sega to make an effort at this as there will be costs beyond just manufacturing the hardware but it wont be anywhere near what they paid to develop and sell it in the first place.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

FiendWithoutAface wrote:The hardware under the hood by our standards is quite old and obsolete. We have Wii
That's really disrespectful.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I think the Wii's and Dreamcast's hardware capabilitities are comparable to that of the NES when it's been released in the US in '86. In Europe we did not see much of the NES until four years later.

Still, this doesn't mean that we will see a Dreamcast rebirth: I doubt the guys at Sega are clever enough to make profit out of the hardware - even if they managed to fit it on a single chip back in 2004...
Insane homebrew collector.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Calavera wrote:In my opinion the Dreamcast is the best "failed" console by a landslide. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmue 1 and 2 and so on. Sure the 3DO had "Gex" and the Jaguar had "AVP" but the experience those games bring is nothing compared to the Dreamcast. I'd love to go back and play some Dreamcast games for the first time again. They are still fun to this day, but some of that spark is missing now due to completing the games several times.. :cry:
the pxs version of gex was better, so your argument fails. It did have the best version of street fighter turbo at the time, though and some funny adult titles.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Smiley wrote:
Calavera wrote:In my opinion the Dreamcast is the best "failed" console by a landslide. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmue 1 and 2 and so on. Sure the 3DO had "Gex" and the Jaguar had "AVP" but the experience those games bring is nothing compared to the Dreamcast. I'd love to go back and play some Dreamcast games for the first time again. They are still fun to this day, but some of that spark is missing now due to completing the games several times.. :cry:
the pxs version of gex was better, so your argument fails. It did have the best version of street fighter turbo at the time, though and some funny adult titles.
I wasn't comparing which version of Gex is better so you fail. I was just saying that those systems only had a couple of good titles, while the Dreamcast had a large number of great games.