So i may be an Assistant Manager in 4 months.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So i may be an Assistant Manager in 4 months.

Post by Ceeg »

Took a 70 question test 2 days ago and if i passed im eligible for a promotion to Assistant Manager with Walmart, well anyway i passed and my Store Manager already has told me hes approving my promotion so its up to my Market Manager to select me. I seriously hope i get it cause it will help me a lot in trying to get the whole family thing going. :) :)
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Re: So i may be an Assistant Manager in 4 months.

Post by ace »

Ceeg wrote:Took a 70 question test 2 days ago and if i passed im eligible for a promotion to Assistant Manager with Walmart, well anyway i passed and my Store Manager already has told me hes approving my promotion so its up to my Market Manager to select me. I seriously hope i get it cause it will help me a lot in trying to get the whole family thing going. :) :)
I don't want to offend you - and I'll be honest, I have no idea what kind of money or benefits an Assistant Manager at Walmart earns/gets, but do you really think you can support a family working at Walmart?
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

When my dad lost his job in insurance he had to take an Assistant Manager job at a Wal-Mart. The pay was decent, but the hours would kill you or any family you might have.

Luckily he's out of that and working in a Medical College now.

If you could get up to Store Manager, they make in the realm of 6 figures... so if you can handle the hours best of luck to you.

Oh yea, and health care sucks there.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

A girl I used to work with had a boyfriend who was a manager at Walmart, and he made some pretty damn good money. I think she said he made around $60k/yr, but he work a lot of hours and had to go to different area stores to do stuff a lot.

Any, good luck hope you get the higher position.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Thomas wrote:A girl I used to work with had a boyfriend who was a manager at Walmart, and he made some pretty damn good money. I think she said he made around $60k/yr, but he work a lot of hours and had to go to different area stores to do stuff a lot.

$60k is "damn good money"?

I make between $30k and $40k as an adminstrative assistant, and even being a careful spender, it'll be at least ten years before I can even *consider* the down payment on a house. And I won't get to keep ANY of it once I start my certification classes.

Then again, I do live in one of the most expensive parts of the country :|
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Thomas wrote:A girl I used to work with had a boyfriend who was a manager at Walmart, and he made some pretty damn good money. I think she said he made around $60k/yr, but he work a lot of hours and had to go to different area stores to do stuff a lot.

I make between $30k and $40k as an adminstrative assistant, and even being a careful spender, it'll be at least ten years before I can even *consider* the down payment on a house. And I won't get to keep ANY of it once I start my certification classes.

Nearly everywhere in the country 60k for somebody that is under 30 is a great wage. In California, especially Santa Cruz, you're going to be strapped for cash even if you're pulling in 60k a year =\
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

DaMadFiddler wrote:

As you said you live in an expensive area. Here $60K is great money, and is way above the average income of the city. I know that amount is high or low to some, but I'd be happy with $60k/year for a while.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Thomas wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:

As you said you live in an expensive area. Here $60K is great money, and is way above the average income of the city. I know that amount is high or low to some, but I'd be happy with $60k/year for a while.
$60k goes a long way in some families. That would pretty much eliminate any and all debt my family has, as well as take a HUGE chunk out of the mortgage. Hell, we could live off of that for years even.

It just depends on your situation. The south is much cheaper than the Northeast or California.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I realize the hours are long, but its not like i haven't done long hours before. I have worked shifts like 7am-9pm on more than once occassion and it doesn't really bother me. I've also discussed this with my fiancee and we have agreed that if our relationship is affected by this in anyway im stepping down. I rather step down then lose the one i love more than anything.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Working for Wal-mart=phail.

I'd rather be Bush's lap dog.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sir Savant wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:

$60k goes a long way in some families. That would pretty much eliminate any and all debt my family has, as well as take a HUGE chunk out of the mortgage. Hell, we could live off of that for years even.

It just depends on your situation. The south is much cheaper than the Northeast or California.
Okay...I was just curious. Because I make a little over half that, and after taxes, I lose half of it just to necessary living expenses each month (rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc.)

My one major financial goal is to eventually buy a house...but decent houses out here are $600k - $900k, so if I'm able to stash $500-$1000 a month in savings, it's going to be a long-ass time before I can even afford the down payment.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

APE wrote:Working for Wal-mart=phail.

Its a job and i make money, where do i fail?
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Ceeg wrote:
APE wrote:Working for Wal-mart=phail.

Its a job and i make money, where do i fail?
APE is from California so he thinks he's better than us.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:

Okay...I was just curious. Because I make a little over half that, and after taxes, I lose half of it just to necessary living expenses each month (rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc.)

My one major financial goal is to eventually buy a house...but decent houses out here are $600k - $900k, so if I'm able to stash $500-$1000 a month in savings, it's going to be a long-ass time before I can even afford the down payment.
That is where the difference of money comes in it seems, as decent houses go for about $190,000 - $275,000 here.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Sir Savant wrote:
Thomas wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:

See, around where I live, as long as you are willing to commute a fair distance to work, houses are cheap. My mom bought three acres with a two story house, a detached two car garage, a barn, and a medium sized pond for around $70k I believe. But the nearest town with a grocery is about a 20 minute drive. So it's a trade-off.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Store manager here in Houma (very low cost of living), was making round about $200K/year after bonuses and such a few years ago.
If you can make it to Assistant or Co Manager in WalMart, you are pretty much golden with the company no matter what kind of asshat you may be.*
Also, who makes Assistant and higher is pretty much determined by how well-liked you are by your Store/Co Manager. I've gone from one to the other extreme in my time. One Store manager didn't like me at all and bumped me down (in title only, the douche) from Overnight Support manager, then when he left, I was offered my old position back because the Co manager liked me quite a bit (he had recently done a stint overnight and was impressed by my warehouse management skills).
So, normally I would say congratulations Ceeg, but to be fair, WalMart is going down the crapper. They had a lot of inertia carrying them for a long time, but a lot of bad moves a few years back are now showing up on the bottom line and they are only responding with more bad moves.

*Not saying you are an asshat, but if you ever felt like being one, here's your chance to get away with it.
No signature.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

My family is looking into buying a different house, and here in South Dakota very nice houses go for somewhere around 90k and in one of the top cities population wise so a long commute isnt an issue. Living here is way cheaper than I thought.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

May I suggest you watch "Wal Mart, the High Cost of Low Prices"

Good movie.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

toastman wrote:Store manager here in Houma (very low cost of living), was making round about $200K/year after bonuses and such a few years ago.
If you can make it to Assistant or Co Manager in WalMart, you are pretty much golden with the company no matter what kind of asshat you may be.*
Also, who makes Assistant and higher is pretty much determined by how well-liked you are by your Store/Co Manager. I've gone from one to the other extreme in my time. One Store manager didn't like me at all and bumped me down (in title only, the douche) from Overnight Support manager, then when he left, I was offered my old position back because the Co manager liked me quite a bit (he had recently done a stint overnight and was impressed by my warehouse management skills).
So, normally I would say congratulations Ceeg, but to be fair, WalMart is going down the crapper. They had a lot of inertia carrying them for a long time, but a lot of bad moves a few years back are now showing up on the bottom line and they are only responding with more bad moves.

*Not saying you are an asshat, but if you ever felt like being one, here's your chance to get away with it.

Well my Store Manager has already told me that hes gonna make sure i got the job. I usually do my best to get on all managements good side(kiss their ass as much as i can). Hopefully i get it cause the money will be a big help like i stated earlier. And it is going down the crapper, but i need more money.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Ceeg wrote: Well my Store Manager has already told me that hes gonna make sure i got the job. I usually do my best to get on all managements good side(kiss their ass as much as i can). Hopefully i get it cause the money will be a big help like i stated earlier. And it is going down the crapper, but i need more money.
No shame in that. By virtue of being the largest employer in the nation, some of the people here are bound to have worked (or currently work for) WalMart.
No signature.