Across The Universe

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Across The Universe

Post by politoe »

Anyone seen the trailer to this Beatles influenced psychedelic-romance?
I think its going to be pretty good, what do you guys think?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bQ6d3m-GFyw
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by Covar »

i want the soundtrack, but thats it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Eddie Izzard is one of my favorite comedians, and after seeing the preview on the official site a week or so ago I know I'm going to go see the movie.

http://acrosstheuniverse.com/

They have higher quality trailers there.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

That looks... interesting. Not sure how it's going to be as a film, but the re-interpretations of beatles tunes in the trailer is intriguing. The Helter Skelter reminded me of Janis Joplin.

- Fuzmeister
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Saw the preview at spiderman3. And well. I'm really just bored of people telling us how great and awesome the 70's were. I just don't fucking care anymore. So probably no go.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I saw the preview at Spider-Man 3 as well. The whole time, the trailer seemed to be saying "Look how much we spent on Beatles licenses!"

I'm not sure what I think about the movie itself; it could be good, but there are *tons* of melodramatic "struggling relationship caught in the middle of societal troubles" movies.
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

saw the preview a long time ago...there was a huge clash between the director, the editor, and the producer... arentlly the director and the editor cut the movie to shit and made it the way the producer producer hates it.. or vicaversa.. i don't remember it was a while ago...
crabcakes
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Wagh wrote:Saw the preview at spiderman3. And well. I'm really just bored of people telling us how great and awesome the 70's were. I just don't fucking care anymore. So probably no go.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the 60s?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

yeah. That's what I meant. Eitherway. The generation can all go fuck themselves.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I saw this trailer at the movies. I really, really want to see it.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'm sure the 60s were okay for some, but today isn't that bad either.

The biggest difference between now and then is that there was the Soviet Union and its attempt to live communism. You grew up and had to think about these two different ideas for the future of mankind.

I remember that when I was a kid, my parents took me and my brother with them on a trip to East-Berlin in 1988. All I still remember is that they didn't have Coca Cola and sold glass instead of plastic bottles.
Insane homebrew collector.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Wagh wrote:The generation can all go fuck themselves.
That's a little rash isn't it? I think it's obvious in comparison to today and the 90s, the 60s and 70s (maybe even 80s) were much more culturally rich and dynamic than anything happening today. Sure we've got a war today - but people don't care enough to protest it the way they did then. We've also got music, but most of it is soulless and created more for financial gain than anything else. Maybe the 60s weren't the greatest decade ever, but try to at least show a little benevolence towards one of eras of American history with the most impact.

</End rant>

- Fuzmeister
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I'm not doubting its impact. I'm just sick of hearing just how amazing it was. Giving up on your own generation because you refuse to look for the good is pathetic.

Living in the past rocks though....
Giving H-E-A-D head
Christuserloeser

S. Thompson wrote:I think it's obvious in comparison to today and the 90s, the 60s and 70s (maybe even 80s) were much more culturally rich and dynamic than anything happening today.
Dynamic? Yes. Culturally rich? Hm, no.
S. Thompson wrote:Sure we've got a war today - but people don't care enough to protest it the way they did then.
The US fought a war in Vietnam against a freedom movement.
S. Thompson wrote:We've also got music, but most of it is soulless and created more for financial gain than anything else.
I doubt the percentage of soulless music has changed since then. In fact I assume it's become MUCH better and we can choose from a billion of fantastic groups and individuals today.
S. Thompson wrote:Maybe the 60s weren't the greatest decade ever, but try to at least show a little benevolence towards one of eras of American history with the most impact.
You got a good point there :)
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Christuserloeser wrote:
S. Thompson wrote:I think it's obvious in comparison to today and the 90s, the 60s and 70s (maybe even 80s) were much more culturally rich and dynamic than anything happening today.
Dynamic? Yes. Culturally rich? Hm, no.
I think a lot more events happened that shaped society back then. I also think that people in general were greater. Maybe it's just something weak-minded, but how many "great" presidents do people generally think we've had since the 80s. No one has had the same "greatness" attributed to them. Also - people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcom X did a lot for the race race where as people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are hardly respectable.
Christuserloeser wrote:
S. Thompson wrote:Sure we've got a war today - but people don't care enough to protest it the way they did then.
The US fought a war in Vietnam against a freedom movement.
I'm not bothering to click the link - I never said I agreed with Vietnam - quite the opposite actually. I'm just saying that the American people claim to care about the war today and the most outspoken people are the celebrities who don't even have anything to worry about.
Christuserloeser wrote:
S. Thompson wrote:We've also got music, but most of it is soulless and created more for financial gain than anything else.
I doubt the percentage of soulless music has changed since then. In fact I assume it's become MUCH better and we can choose from a billion of fantastic groups and individuals today.
I will say that in the past 10 years, the internet has allowed a greater amount of bands to penetrate the listening masses. However, in top 40 terms, it's not really respectable anymore to strive to be a top 40 musician. In fact, a lot of people probably want the opposite.

That is all.

- Fuzmeister
Christuserloeser

S. Thompson wrote:I think a lot more events happened that shaped society back then.
Society shapes constantly but back then a good part of it came from the people.
S. Thompson wrote:I also think that people in general were greater.
I am not sure but somehow I doubt that. Society today has come a long way since then. What most of us think is tolerated and accepted wasn't back then.

...sometimes I think this religious thing ruined the revolutionary potential this era had.
S. Thompson wrote:Also - people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcom X did a lot for the race race where as people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are hardly respectable.
Well, while Malcom X achieved a lot, he spend a good part of his life being full of hate towards everything Christian and Jewish, while himself being Muslim doesn't seem to be a good alternative.
S. Thompson wrote:I'm not bothering to click the link - I never said I agreed with Vietnam - quite the opposite actually.
The link leads to Wikipedia's article about the origins of the conflict. What I meant to say was that it's an entirely different war with entirely different goals. Perhaps that is one reason why people act so different today then they did act back then. (Not saying that there couldn't have been alternatives to this war.)
S. Thompson wrote:I will say that in the past 10 years, the internet has allowed a greater amount of bands to penetrate the listening masses. However, in top 40 terms, it's not really respectable anymore to strive to be a top 40 musician. In fact, a lot of people probably want the opposite.
I think it's not only the internet that's the difference. I doubt there existed that many great bands back then. Don't get me wrong though, there was a load of great music back then - from Jazz to Pop. What I mean is that the amount of comparable good artists is much bigger today, plus we got all the stuff from the past 100 years on top of that.
What we glorify today for the most part is the very best from back then, the vast majority of the other top 40 artists we don't know anything about.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Re: Across The Universe

Post by Synlor »

Bump

I just got back from seeing it tonight. It finally started showing here in Lincoln last night, but ya, I was quite pleased with the movie. Very good story, very well done. The middle got almost too trippy, but just when that started to get a little long it switched gears to being more conventional like the beginning. I really want to get the soundtrack though, as the music was very very well done and remixed. The actors all did an amazing job with it.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Ooh thank you for reminding me about this movie. I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Looks like meh but I'm not a beatles fan. Some of their stuff is on my mp3 player but it seems like "beatles inspired" means "cram a beatles song every place possible".
A few fries short of a happy meal.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Re:

Post by toastman »

Wagh wrote:Saw the preview at spiderman3. And well. I'm really just bored of people telling us how great and awesome the 70's were. I just don't fucking care anymore. So probably no go.
I think it looks like pretentious shit.
No signature.