Will a Playstation Gun work on Dreamcast w/ converter?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
sprite
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will a Playstation Gun work on Dreamcast w/ converter?

Post by sprite »

Anyone ever tried with a Playstation to DC converter, using a Playstation gun on a DC? Does it function right with House of the Dead 2, Death Crimson, Confidential Mission, Virtua Cop 2 (on smash pack), etc etc? Any info is appreciatd, thanks!.
henzenmann
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by henzenmann »

My guess would be no. The converter would have to explicitly support lightguns, since they use a special communication mode of the Maple BUS, different from the one used for regular controllers.
PuNkRoCkEr
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by PuNkRoCkEr »

my gun broke SOMEHOW(i dont know)while trying to do this.so now im short a light gun
sprite
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sprite »

^^ thats strange, i dont think it would "break" anything , if it dont work, then it dont work.. anyone else have any experiences?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

henzenmann wrote:My guess would be no. The converter would have to explicitly support lightguns, since they use a special communication mode of the Maple BUS, different from the one used for regular controllers.
Aside from that, gun controllers for the Playstation and Dreamcast work in different ways - a Playstation gun that follows the G-Con design will require you to connect it to the composite video output of the console, whereas a Dreamcast gun only uses the controller port.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!