Strange crash with QuakeDC

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Skatal1ty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strange crash with QuakeDC

Post by Skatal1ty »

So I've burned multiple nonselfboot aswell as selfboot cds, and they all have one thing in common, they crash when the console attempts to render a 3d environment. At first I thought it might've just been the demos, so I altered pak0.pak and deleted all the .dem files from it. burn a new disc, pop it in, everything works, configure it, then I select new game. Crashed. So I tried a selfboot cd, no improvement. I'm not trying a mod or anything, just straight up Full vanilla Quake. Should I try a shareware?

It'll have to wait though, I have a mountain of coasters from other tests, no cd-rs left. (just got a DC)

Thanks for the help!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

You shouldn't have to even touch any PAKs as they should be fine unmodified. You might wanna download the shareware version and try seeing if QuakeDC boots it. You may or may not know but there is a legal port of Quake by Fragger who actually has it ported over fairly nicely aside from 3D rendering (QuakeDC does this). The link above actually has the download to nxMakaqu (Fraggers port).
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Yeah use nxMakaqu, it's not as pretty but it's a way better port overall and has some kick ass features to boot.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Skatal1ty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skatal1ty »

I burnt a selfboot cd containing this distro:http://www.dchomebrew.org/quaketitan.shtml and the shareware pak files. Runs flawless. So I added pak1.pak from the retail version, and it'll run and play, except for when I attempt to play episodes 2-4, it'll just crash. Not sure why... I used the pinoy files by the way to make the selfbootcd.

Would the writespeed affect it at all?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I bet the problem is from not replacing pak0.pak.
Skatal1ty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skatal1ty »

fackue wrote:I bet the problem is from not replacing pak0.pak.
I tried that and burned a new disc, and it just crashed when it tried to load a demo... so it might be my .pak files.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Skatal1ty wrote:it might be my .pak files.
Yes, it is.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Skatal1ty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skatal1ty »

Fragger wrote:
Skatal1ty wrote:it might be my .pak files.
Yes, it is.
well, what could be wrong with my pak1.pak? why won't it load the maps that it contains?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

It sounds like they're corrupt. I assume they're from a downloaded copy? If so, you probably wanna buy the game so you can guarantee that your PAKs are not corrupted.
Skatal1ty
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skatal1ty »

fackue wrote:It sounds like they're corrupt. I assume they're from a downloaded copy? If so, you probably wanna buy the game so you can guarantee that your PAKs are not corrupted.
the game runs fine on my pc though.. I'll try reinstalling from myretail cd then.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

well, gibaholic did admit to downloading quake before (in particular eQuake which puts a lot of butchered files and cheat hacks in it)
POOPOO