Dream On Magazine refunds, free magazines, and the future

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Dream On Magazine refunds, free magazines, and the future

Post by MetaFox »

OK, since I screwed this whole thing up royally since I announced that I was taking preorders back in October, I'm going to be making the best of the situation by proving to everyone that I am not "scamming" or "fleecing" anyone, and that I am not in this for the money.

I'm refunding everyone their purchase starting today. Dream On magazine is going to become what it should have been in the first place - a free magazine.

I'm going to do a trial to see if my idea of magazine self-sustaining would be feasable, but at this point I'm not willing to take any money for the magazine itself. I'll be the first to admit that I did a piss-poor job with the business end of the magazine, so I'm taking the business out of the magazine. This will purely be a fan project for the fans, and a project to be distributed at game conventions to get new fans involved.

Feel free to post any complaints, skepticism, or anything in this thread. At this point, I deserve it all.

I sincerely appologize for my ineptitude at the handling of the situation thus far. I just want to do right by you guys.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Darksaviour69 »

If i had the option, I would prefer to have the "payed for" mag (+disc). Hell even keep the money and just send me the free version
Last edited by Darksaviour69 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I guess you might as well keep my money. I only started a paypal account to pay you then closed it straight afterwards.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

This whole thing got dumb and out of hand. I didnt care anymore months ago.

though something like this sounds pretty effed up.
I've looked and looked, and I can't find the magazines. I also can't find the magazines (newsletters) that were made up for the Midwest Gaming Classic 2004.
either way like i said, i dotn care. i lost what 7 bucks? big deal.
Last edited by Nico0020 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Delin hong
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Delin hong »

Very honourable, if you can afford to get the mags out in the same time on you own back. Otherwise most people would probably rather you kept their money. Complainers have most likely and can get a refund so....
2 cents
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Meta,

A few things:

#1, I think this is a great idea and the best way to keep the magazine going on a regular basis. If you are planning on taking user generated stuff, I'll be happy to write an article at some point (although I'm very slow with these, so it may be a long time :( )

#2, I (somewhere) do have the preview copy of DreamOn which you had with you at MGC'04, so I can back you up with that. I don't actually know where it has disappeared to, however I read most of it and thought it was pretty well done. You had left it by our Dreamcast stuff, and someone else gave it to me when we were packing up after you had left. I thought that it was for me to take a look at or something, although I don't know if I ever mentioned it on here before.

Good luck with everything! Feel free to contact me if I can lend a hand :)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

goatdan wrote:#1, I think this is a great idea and the best way to keep the magazine going on a regular basis. If you are planning on taking user generated stuff, I'll be happy to write an article at some point (although I'm very slow with these, so it may be a long time :( )
Definitely. That was one of my biggest reasons for making it free. While it was pay, I couldn't take user submissions on a good conscience without compensation. Now, the magazine can be completely by the fans for the fans.

It would be awesome if you could do an article, as you and Gary are definitely the biggest contributors for the commercial part of the Dreamcast at the moment.
goatdan wrote:#2, I (somewhere) do have the preview copy of DreamOn which you had with you at MGC'04, so I can back you up with that. I don't actually know where it has disappeared to, however I read most of it and thought it was pretty well done. You had left it by our Dreamcast stuff, and someone else gave it to me when we were packing up after you had left. I thought that it was for me to take a look at or something, although I don't know if I ever mentioned it on here before.
Indeed it was. I had to leave abruptly, since we had to get back to my grandma. I had intended to get it to you personally, but didn't get the time. I'm glad that it did end up getting in your hands after all.

I want to put up collections of Dream On through it's various stages. At this point, I have three completed Dream On magazines, each baring the Dream On issue #1 moniker, from three different years (2003, 2005, and 2006). It's quite interesting, and after this decision to keep Dream On free, it would be great to share them all with everyone.
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

If you can supply me with proof of either; print cost, shipping costs or any other costs you made to get this magazine out; you can keep the money, I don't care for the couple of bucks I paid, I just want them to be put to use in getting this magazine out, be it now or later. :bouncegrin:

I always toyed with the idea of doing something like that and I probably will in the future. If I wasn't so busy with other things I would have helped out here and there. Oh well, still plenty of things to look forward to, no?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

SeGaFrEaK NL wrote:If you can supply me with proof of either; print cost, shipping costs or any other costs you made to get this magazine out; you can keep the money, I don't care for the couple of bucks I paid, I just want them to be put to use in getting this magazine out, be it now or later. :bouncegrin:
http://www.emucamp.com/art/dreamoninvoice.png

But, no worries. I don't feel right about the magazine taking so long to get to you guys, and as Dan said, it's better in the long run that it's free.
SeGaFrEaK NL wrote:I always toyed with the idea of doing something like that and I probably will in the future. If I wasn't so busy with other things I would have helped out here and there. Oh well, still plenty of things to look forward to, no?
Yeah. And if you want to contribute to an issue in the future - you now can.

So it's better for everyone this way.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I've seen plenty of invoices in my time, and I've never seen one without a business phone number in the logo.

edit: Dude, don't make changes to the picture of the invoice. It makes you look even more like a fraud. Xylene has copies of both versions and is calling the company now with the invoice number.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Why do neither of the contact phone numbers for these companies connected? One says it's been disconnected and the other just beeps. Also, why one version of the invoice you posted had two logos and now it has one?

ImageImage

Notice the complete absense of Sunset Printers on the currently posted invoice.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Honestly, I just removed my number, so I removed the other numbers. Then I removed the logo.

It's my need for perfection and need for symmetry due to my Asperger's Syndrome. It's really a curse sometimes - I honestly wasn't trying to be sneaky or anything.

Here's the original with just my number removed:

http://www.emucamp.com/art/originalinvoice.png
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I still would prefer a printed magazine show up at my doorstep but I'll take whatever you'll give me.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Donate the money to a charity.
Dreamcastin2k6
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamcastin2k6 »

My recomendation, as a former poster and long-time observer is this:
If you truly want to do a good magazine to send out to the scene you need to put the creative force on one side and the business on the other.

Make one person in charge of money, deadlines etc. and make it their duty to keep the pressure on the writer(s)/editor(s).

Now, assuming the magazine is not sold at cost, one could proceed in this manor:

With just two people, a "manager"/editor and writer/layout person you could accomplish putting out a publication without the fear of accidentally missing deadlines or "ripping people off."

Alternativly:
If you wanted to allow contributions from members of the scene (as has been an idea thrown around) then you could have one manager and (opitionally) a staff writer, and then pay contributing writers a pre-determined percentage of the overall profit from shipped magazines in exchange for their writings and some guarentee of future writings.

Therefore, if the magazine does better the writers make more for their contributions, and even with a minimum guarentee of another piece for the next issue ahead the magazine maintains fluency and deadlines can be properly established.

This can all be done with minimal time commitment from each person, with the management position probably being the most demanding because you have to handle the money as well as keep up on deadlines.

Lastly, the first issue should be done WITHOUT a presale. Design the magazine and have a few issues printed out of pocket, and make it back when they sell. If people see that you really have a magazine you can deliever then they will be more inclined to buy and preorder the next issues. Establish trust first.

I know thats kinda a lot, and maybe runon-ish but hopefully that can help.
The poster formerly known as Dreamcastin2k2