Favorite "WTF" Game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

Every once in a while, a developer decides to make a fun, quirky game that's also completely insane. What's your favorite?

Dad & Me
No votes
Feel the Magic / Project Rub
4%
Katamari Damacy
17%
LEGO Star Wars
17%
Loco Roco
No votes
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
No votes
Parodius
4%
Pinball ( & Typing) of the Dead
No votes
Revolution X
4%
Rez
35%
Snacks'n'Jaxson
No votes
Space Channel 5
No votes
Super Monkey Ball
No votes
Vib Ribbon
No votes
Other... (please explain)
17%

Total votes: 23
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Favorite "WTF" Game...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

In order to qualify, the game has to be lighthearted to a degree (so something like Eternal Darkness wouldn't count), and has to have a completely nonsensical premise. You know, the kind of thing that makes you think "What were they ON, and where can I get some?" Mario & Luigi is about as lax as I'm getting here with that (c'mon! a witch stole her voice, and replaced it with EXPLOSIVES!)

But yeah. Goofball games seem to be pretty popular around here, so I thought I'd throw up some of the more well-known ones and see where people stand.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Boppin. Going into the VR world to rescue video game characters from cross dressing evil teddy bears! What more can you say?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

FETUS wrote:Boppin. Going into the VR world to rescue video game characters from cross dressing evil teddy bears! What more can you say?
Holy shit, I forgot about that game! I had a shareware version of it on a shareware collection I bought with my first computer. That brings back memories.

Off topic, but anyone remember that horrible FPS called Nitemare 3D? I was just reminded of it when you said Boppin', it was on there too.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Full version is now 100% free boppin main and sadly I remember nitemare although a little more dated it's right up there with "redneck rampage"
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

ok for some reason opera wants to crash if I want to edit, but yeah. Redneck rampage did introduce one great piece of gaming history
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Stretch Panic! That game definately deserves a spot on here. If you've never played it, here is the basic idea of the game:

Your 10 older sisters were kidnapped by some demon that promised them eternal beauty. They were taken to this demon world and turned into monsters that reflected their internal beauty (hence why they became monsters). You play as a girl with a possessed scarf that goes to rescue your sisters by drawing the evil out of them leaving them with pure hearts. In order to get to you sisters, you have to earn points. How do you earn these points?
By grabbing the asses or hair of these gigantically misproportioned women. If you grab their boobs, your hand just bounces off. But if you grab their ass or hair, the women explode and you earn a point. And it's no easy task, especially considering these women use their extremely large breasts as shields.
Their boobs are actually bigger than the main character herself. But that's not all. These women have many uses for their cleavage, including clubbing you with them, booby slamming you with them, and even spinning them really fast and flying away from you if you get too close to their ass.
The game was actually a graphically amazing game at the time, but the premesis of it was beyond bizarre. The boss fights were some of the most creative and original bosses I've ever seen. The game lasts about 3 hours, but it's worth trying just once, that is, if you can overlook it's disproportionate women.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

How could I forget, a boy and his blob and moster party.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Holy crap mel, that's awesome. If I had a modded PS2 I'd probably import it if the price was right. It just looks.....interesting.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Two words. Vib Ribbon. It's in black and white w/ weird ass music going along w/ the game. You can also put in your own CDs. Seriously this is one of the weirdest games I have ever played for the psx.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Holy crap mel, that's awesome. If I had a modded PS2 I'd probably import it if the price was right. It just looks.....interesting.
Import it? It was released in the US. Hell, you can buy it on half.com for like $5.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Katamari for sure, but I found Mr. Mosquito to be pretty neat as well
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

lets go with panic! for sega cd,.....what a wierd game
crabcakes
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Space Station Silicon Valley, crazy good times with that. Nothing like controling a sheep or two.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

mink03 wrote:lets go with panic! for sega cd,.....what a wierd game
YES! OMFG, I was so excited when I found that game last year at a garage sale for $3. It was sooooo worth it!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Safety in Nimbus wrote:Two words. Vib Ribbon. It's in black and white w/ weird ass music going along w/ the game. You can also put in your own CDs. Seriously this is one of the weirdest games I have ever played for the psx.
It's also on the list :-P Did you overlook it?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

voted lego star wars, i enjoyed the fuck out of that game, the humor, the gameplay, simply brilliant, probably the best semi film following star wars game i ever played
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:voted lego star wars, i enjoyed the fuck out of that game, the humor, the gameplay, simply brilliant, probably the best semi film following star wars game i ever played
Same here. I voted mostly for the kooky cutscenes, but I must say there is a certain amount of twisted joy from killing JarJar that helped my decision.

I can't wait for the sequel. The ability to swap out parts of characters' bodies will make the game even more silly, and I want to pop off a storm trooper's arms with Chewbacca. :twisted:
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Err... Can I change my vote to MoonWalker?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

FETUS wrote:How could I forget, a boy and his blob and moster party.
Ha, I loved Monster Party as a kid. Now when I play it I can't get past the stiffness of the gameplay. I have no idea how I managed to beat it as a kid but I do remember it took a loooooong time.