DVD Style cases - PAL

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DVD Style cases - PAL

Post by tmcw »

I saw this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEAD-OR-ALIVE-2-f ... dZViewItem

And was wondering if there are many other games released in similar packaging.

There were probably no official releases like this (this one says "for bundle purposes only"), but I was just wondering how many other games exist like this, promo, bundle or otherwise.

Also, are they worth much, rare, desirable?
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

It's just a display box, Some stores used these so that the original cases didn't get knocked about on the shelves, as we all know the Pal DC cases aren't the strongest in the world. They also used the display cases for PSONE, SNES and Gameboy (sorta makes sense with the SNES and GB game boxes being made out of cardboard i guess).

Obviously the guy used to work at Woolworths or something and nabbed a couple.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I don't think they're that rare. I've seen a few scattered around second hand and my version (which is in the same packaging) was bought cheap for about ?5 in one of them homeware clearout stores some years ago.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Some time ago i bought DOA2 from Lik Sang and it came in this exact package.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Matisfaction wrote:It's just a display box
The back of the box says "For bundle purposes only", so I think it's a pack-in game.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Phantom wrote:
The back of the box says "For bundle purposes only", so I think it's a pack-in game.
I'm aware of that (i've picked one up off the self and they all have that on the back), They used them or still do in Woolworths and other places. The box and inlay are made primarily for display purposes. What's prolly happend is that the original case went missing so they sold him the game in the display box. I'ts not un common for that to happen.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Matisfaction wrote:I'm aware of that (i've picked one up off the self and they all have that on the back), They used them or still do in Woolworths and other places. The box and inlay are made primarily for display purposes. What's prolly happend is that the original case went missing so they sold him the game in the display box. I'ts not un common for that to happen.
Stores also occasionally sell pack-in games seperately though. I bought Mario Kart DS last month and it's got "Not to be sold seperately" right on the box. :?
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

Matisfaction wrote:
Phantom wrote:
I'm aware of that (i've picked one up off the self and they all have that on the back), They used them or still do in Woolworths and other places. The box and inlay are made primarily for display purposes. What's prolly happend is that the original case went missing so they sold him the game in the display box. I'ts not un common for that to happen.
What about the ones that have "For promo use only, not for resale" instead of "bundle..." and containing white labels? Were these the ones sent to the shops for their playable displays? I have Bust-A-Move 4 and Tee Off like this (both distributed by Acclaim, as is DOA2, which in this packaging is the regular GD-ROM). The interesting thing (if you're into that sort of thing) is that the BAM4 artwork says for 1-4 players, when it should be 1-2.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Promo boxes are usually put on display with the DC pods that you could try in the shops. The white label GD-ROM was obviously put in the DC that's in the pod so that peeps could try it out and the box usually on a stand behind or close to it or what have you.

Bundle boxes were part of unofficial store only bundles that were on display in some shops, you'd get the DC box and then the boxes of the games that were bundled with it next to that on the stands. You'd take the display boxes to the counter, pay and then get your stuff in the original boxes from behind the counter or store room like in toys R us, then the display boxes go back on the stands.

That's how Woolworths and and i think toys R us worked things, other shops just displayed stuff in there original cases...other than that I dunno.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Was Cosmic Smash packaged in a DVD-style case?
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

impetus wrote:Was Cosmic Smash packaged in a DVD-style case?
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

d-direct Segagag release also came in DVD style case...