F355 Challenge: Passione Rossa

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

F355 Challenge: Passione Rossa

Post by Cid Highwind »

I've decided to play a nice racegame again, but for some reason I'm always having trouble picking up MSR from where I left (racing in chapter 9 or something and I've already opened up 15) so I decided to play some more Ferrari Challenge.

I really like this game because it gives me the feeling that whenever I overtake another car, I've showed some skill, unlike in other games where it isn't driving skill, but simple horsepower that can make you win a game. Another pro of it is that I have never blamed the cpu opponents for cheating their way to victory. The only point where I think they have an advantage in terms of speed is the start. Or I need to work on my starting skills. I never saw a car go through a corner with me thinking that it is impossible for me to do it myself, therefor encouraging me to copy their line and improve it.

The reason why I am opening up this topic is because I find this game to be one of the most unique racers I have played, and I want to talk about it and I am curious about the lap times of the fellow members here.

Most of the time I'm driving the Suzuka short version track, because to me it's the easiest one (I have practiced it the most), I like Monza as well. So far me best lap time for Suzuka was 53.xx seconds while racing with opponents (more fun :D )

Do you guys tune your cars or do you just leave them at their defaults. So far I haven't gotten into tuning yet because I'm just no good at it.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

i got around the motegi ring in 37.362
Last edited by 1mp0r7g4m3r on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

i do tune the car sometimes...but im not very good at this game for some reason :x
hey, that's not stopping me from playing this game! one of the best racing games ive ever played :mrgreen:
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

and with a racing wheel is almost like the real thing. Probably the most realistic racer.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Definately one of the best race sims ever. It's the handling and the AI that makes it really special. Is it just me or does the DC have the first racing games where there is actually a form of AI:

In MSR others will try not to hit you because of their own Kudos, it's funny when you cut them off :twisted: And it's the same in F355 Challenge.

I can't imagine playing this game without a racing wheel. MSR is way easier with the controller, but F355 seems really hard to me.

@ 1mp0r7g4m3r: I might try and beat that one later on :D

My blog
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Fun game, gotta get the grip of it to enjoy it. The collisions suck though.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Yes, the worst are when you bump into a wall and suddenly you're standing backwards, WTF? It kinda feels like pinball >_<

My blog
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I think that the collision with other cars and walls is done that way on purpose (not that i love it) to keep a little bit of an arcade feel even in this super realistic sim... lets not forget that F355 its a coin-op port.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

The car collision isn't that bad, maybe it isn't realistic, but when driving against the rear of another car can really get you off balance, also it is better not to push them from the side too much because of the unpredictable outcome. However, because of good AI computer opponents try to avoid collissions as well and in the end I think they did a pretty good job when I look at the gameplay :)

For the walls they could've done better, sometimes the car just 'auto turns' into the wrong direction when you hit a wall, like I already said above :P

My blog
1mp0r7g4m3r
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by 1mp0r7g4m3r »

although the collision detection is poor sometimes i really enjoy speeding around a curve with another car hugging the back half of your car. it really gives me a sense of having to pull away as well as having to fight for my position. so many other racing games make you avoid other cars totally. while f355 doesnt reward slamming cars to spin them out, i think it does a good job of making you feel/respect your opponents
Make Metal Slug DC!
Visit the Dreamcast NMMT Board!
http://nmmt.proboards58.com/index.cgi
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

For an arcade game, the way collisions are handled has always brought down my opinion of this game, especially collisions with the walls. I'm of the opinion that if the game is trying to be arcade, you should be able to bounce along the wall a bit livelier than you actually can. Although you could argue that I should just get better at the game.

As far as the tracks are concerned, I only really like the Ferrari testing track, and Laguna Seca, although I don't think the corkscrew is as accurate as it could be (not as steep as I imagined) and turn 11 should be tighter too, I think.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, LeMans 24 is my favourite racer on DC. I love the way the car judders as the tyres slip as you're taking a long sweeping corner at 140kph. I also like free roam in MSR, but it would have been great to have it multiplayer free roam with damage and with cable connection.