What are some good music magazines?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What are some good music magazines?

Post by JuddWack »

I was thinking of getting my little brother a subscription for christmas. Music is a big part of his life and he doesn't have any magazines. He plays drums and guitar. His taste in music is quite varied for as young as he is but lately he's been recording a lot of experimental work.

Please make some recomendations because I would like to encourage his talent.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

hasney reads kerrang every week. he likes the green day/my chemical romance/him posters.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I read NME, because I believe all bands are great and everybody should buy their album, yet if everybody does buy their album, the band becomes crap.

And this simple logic can be applied to all musicians excluding U2 and anybody who is dead.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

BoneyCork wrote:I read NME
:nono:

Q is probably the better of the Indie mags out there, Melody Maker was pretty decent but they stopped printing it :evil:
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Q is a lot better than NME, but I suaully buy NME for its cheapness
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I've always enjoyed Rolling Stone.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I've heard Blender is a pretty good magazine. I've never read it personally, but I have a friend who swears by it (and he's not an MTV teeny bopper).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I dont actually read NME by the way. It was a joke.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

BoneyCork wrote:I dont actually read NME by the way. It was a joke.
I got it. But just even mentioning the NME makes me go :nono:
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I like Blender, especially when they had a story on Natalie Portman!

But anyway, I think the cheapest (and best) music mag is Spin. They don't automatically give anything indie 3 stars like Rolling Stone does.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Price is not an issue. I want it to be GOOD. I mean if the difference between a year subscription for a good magazine and bad one is 20-30, then I'd get him the good one.

When I was really into guitar I used to read a lot of the guitar theory magazines and some of them were so bad! If I remember correctly Guitar One was the worst of the bunch, however it was a new magazine at the time.

So basically I want to make sure I don't get him one of them. It doesn't have to be theory though, it could be music culture. Probably something not so mainstream would be best.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What exactly are you after? Because you mentioned "nuturing his talent"?

Do you want a general music magazine, or something more specific, such as for one of the instruments he is playing?

While I cant help you directly cos the UK mag market is very different, there are a number of great guitar magazines out over here, which, while a little pricey, are excellent. They often feature:
- A cover CD, with lots of tutorials, as well as backing tracks for a number of current and classic songs
- A full sheet music (with guitar tabs) section featuring all the songs on the CD, in full.
- Tutorials, to play hard famous solos, or do techniques from certain famous guitarists, as well as beginners stuff too.
- A section looking at all the latest equipment and stuff
- A general music section with all your general news, previews and reviews.

Perhaps a mag like this would give you everything you're looking for? If so, the best place to go would probably be a music store, and ask the staff which mags are the best, because obviously I dont know any specific names of American mags.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

JuddWack wrote:Price is not an issue. I want it to be GOOD. I mean if the difference between a year subscription for a good magazine and bad one is 20-30, then I'd get him the good one.

When I was really into guitar I used to read a lot of the guitar theory magazines and some of them were so bad! If I remember correctly Guitar One was the worst of the bunch, however it was a new magazine at the time.

So basically I want to make sure I don't get him one of them. It doesn't have to be theory though, it could be music culture. Probably something not so mainstream would be best.
It's just an asset; Spin's subscription is only about 8 a year IIRC. And it's better than the rest.

Guitar World is supposed to be decent, too. Same format as Guitar One but less shitty.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

If you want a rolling stones subscription, I would sell you one for 20 bucks (26 issues). Just let me know if you are interested.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

AMP is pretty inexpensive, but if he's into punk and it's various subgenre's, its really sweet. I can never read all the articles and interviews in a single sitting. Plus, awesome sampler CDs and stickers, too.

Spin and Blender are quite good, too.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I think AMP sounds awsome ETR. Do you know where I could buy a first issue so he has something to open on christmas morning?