Weird Gas Tax Thought I had

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weird Gas Tax Thought I had

Post by 404NotFound »

This probably seems really random, but here is an idea I had on the walk back from class:

I know that some people want to tax gasoline. Heavily. But what about a voluntary gas tax? Let me elaborate.

You pull up to a pump, and you can chose Regular, Midgrade, or Premium. As another choice, you can choose Taxed gasoline. The Taxed gasoline would be $5.00, regaurdless of the actual price of any of the three. This $5.00 would be partly that of the actual price, and the rest would go towards a private account for that indiviual person (maybe a credit-card type system.)

This private account will then accumulate the difference between actual cost and the $5.00. When the amount in that account hits some set level (say, $5,000 dollars, up in the tens of thousands of miles) then that amount can be put towards the purchase of a Hybrid car ONLY. Also, the use of the account balance would cover the rest of the car in a government-issued very low interest loan over some course of time. Or maybe even have a program that would buy the entire car up front with the trade-in of the current vehicle.

People with gas-guzzlers would reach the $5,000 much faster, and thus get those cars off the road even sooner.

Very random, I know, but also kinda unique.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

People who drive gas-guzzlers don't want to drive Hybrids. They wan't to drive gas-guzzlers. See all those people in SUVs? They know the gas mileage on their cars before buying and don't care. Honestly, this wouldn't lower the price of gas at all. And isn't gas already taxed? I know in Connecticut, it is something like 25 cents for every gallon. Eitherway, I don't really care. If we wanted lower gas prices than we can get rid of the tax and instead of paying $2.17, i'd be paying $1.84 a gallon.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

What's the big deal with hybrids, you could get a damn sexy diesel car that would get just as good milage.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Digital Chaos wrote:What's the big deal with hybrids, you could get a damn sexy diesel car that would get just as good milage.
I don't know where you live, but in NJ diesel costs over 40 cents a gallon more than regular gasoline.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Xylene wrote:
Digital Chaos wrote:What's the big deal with hybrids, you could get a damn sexy diesel car that would get just as good milage.
I don't know where you live, but in NJ diesel costs over 40 cents a gallon more than regular gasoline.
I hear that argument a lot, but if you factor in the fact that you're getting better gas mileage, it evens out and sometimes ends up being in the favor of the diesel. If you really want, buy a Lupo that does 70mpg.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Xylene wrote:
Hybrids long term durability is also still in question. My main problem with them. Diesel is also harder to find though. Hybrids are probably going to continue to get better gas mileage, and they'll probably eventually pull significantly better than diesel.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Tall Israeli wrote:People who drive gas-guzzlers don't want to drive Hybrids. They wan't to drive gas-guzzlers. See all those people in SUVs? They know the gas mileage on their cars before buying and don't care. Honestly, this wouldn't lower the price of gas at all. And isn't gas already taxed? I know in Connecticut, it is something like 25 cents for every gallon. Eitherway, I don't really care. If we wanted lower gas prices than we can get rid of the tax and instead of paying $2.17, i'd be paying $1.84 a gallon.
That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with people against SUVs. That they thing that people drive them because the gas mileage is somehow an inherant key factor in making it an SUV. This is not true.

Like the Hybrid Ford Escape, i love people who call a hybrid SUV an "oxymoron" because they think the fuel mileage is some feature of an SUV in itself.

People who drive SUVs don't smile with glee when they drop tons of money at a gas pump. They have, for the most part, bought that SUV in the late 90s when gas was dirt cheap and it is yet to be economic for them to switch.

As for diesel, they do get great mileage, but they also produce a good bit of pollution.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

404NotFound wrote:
Tall Israeli wrote:People who drive gas-guzzlers don't want to drive Hybrids. They wan't to drive gas-guzzlers. See all those people in SUVs? They know the gas mileage on their cars before buying and don't care. Honestly, this wouldn't lower the price of gas at all. And isn't gas already taxed? I know in Connecticut, it is something like 25 cents for every gallon. Eitherway, I don't really care. If we wanted lower gas prices than we can get rid of the tax and instead of paying $2.17, i'd be paying $1.84 a gallon.
That's probably one of the biggest problems I have with people against SUVs. That they thing that people drive them because the gas mileage is somehow an inherant key factor in making it an SUV. This is not true.

Like the Hybrid Ford Escape, i love people who call a hybrid SUV an "oxymoron" because they think the fuel mileage is some feature of an SUV in itself.

People who drive SUVs don't smile with glee when they drop tons of money at a gas pump. They have, for the most part, bought that SUV in the late 90s when gas was dirt cheap and it is yet to be economic for them to switch.

As for diesel, they do get great mileage, but they also produce a good bit of pollution.
Well maybe people should take into account gas pricing changing when buying a car and not blame others. Still, the biggest problems I have with people who drive SUVs is the fact that it's just 1 guy or soccer mom in the car 90% of the time. Go buy a goddamn family sedan for your 2 kids. You don't need that extra room and if you do need it, don't drive your SUV like it's some kind of sports car when it's clearly not.

Not to mention the only attractive SUV ever created is the Toureag.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I drive an SUV, and it guzzles gas. I dont want to drive it, I actually hate driving it. I bought it because it was in my price range when I needed a car. If my gas tax money went to buying a hybrid, or a good mileage honda I would be into it.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

arrowhead wrote:I drive an SUV, and it guzzles gas. I dont want to drive it, I actually hate driving it. I bought it because it was in my price range when I needed a car. If my gas tax money went to buying a hybrid, or a good mileage honda I would be into it.
It was the only car in your price range? I doubt that.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

A buddy was selling it super cheap, and it was in great condition and very low miles. So yes it was in my price range of 1200 dollars. And at the time gas was still 80 cents for regular, so gas wasnt much of an issue. Everything else in that range is a real beater that would cost far too much to repair and be in good running order.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

arrowhead wrote:A buddy was selling it super cheap, and it was in great condition and very low miles. So yes it was in my price range of 1200 dollars. And at the time gas was still 80 cents for regular, so gas wasnt much of an issue. Everything else in that range is a real beater that would cost far too much to repair and be in good running order.
Well you took a chance and it blew up in your face. Still, I think you're in the minority.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Why do you care if suvs guzzle gas? You arn't footing the bill.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

hearld500 wrote:Why do you care if suvs guzzle gas? You arn't footing the bill.
Me personally? I don't. I just don't like listening to these people complain about it.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Well they ramp up the demand, thus the cost.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
Hardly. The Saudi's have enough oil for the demand, but supplying the demand means lower prices. When Katrina took out the oil pipes, the Saudi's jacked up the price and thus we get charged more.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
Do you honestly think that if demand went down, the price would too?

We are talking about the oil industry here. Did you not notice what prices did after katrina? My state doesn't get a drop of gas from that area and the prices went up to 3$.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Polution?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

hearld500 wrote:
Orange_Ribbon wrote:

We are talking about the oil industry here. Did you not notice what prices did after katrina? My state doesn't get a drop of gas from that area and the prices went up to 3$.
Ever think it's because other areas are now using your source of gasoline and thus driving up the price?
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

hearld500 wrote:
Orange_Ribbon wrote:

Well 12 of the major oil pipe lines are in New Orleans and 11 of them went down so we had to import more and thus pay the high prices.