Shippy1984 DreamOn Release

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Shippy1984 DreamOn Release

Post by Quzar »

I've just ported Shippy1984 to the Dreamcast. This release is intended to be entered into the DreamOn competition. (but may be modified if bugs are found or whatnot)

Get it HERE (UnScrambled BIN + source code)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TyBO »

WOO HOO! Quzar, you are the man!

I played the PC version... it reminds me of the shooter Pheonix for the TI-83 calculator. I'll be sure to burn a DC disc of it as well... thanks!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

this is really smokin', quz.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

UPDATE:

It's been updated to include vastly improved controls and a few other fixes/additions. The binaries download now includes both scrambled (burnable) and unscrambled (raw) files. A CDI (DiskJuggler) image is also now available, as we consider it good (and stable) enough to warrant a burn. Either version is burnable with BootDreams (recommended).

http://www.screamcast.net/html/game_shippy1984.htm

Also, we'd appreciate rumble pack testing with any third party brands you guys have; as many as possible. So far it works with Performance brand, but not with Sega Jump Packs. (Also any hints to quzar on how to make the tumble support more stable). Thanks.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

For the record I only have a performance brand pack, so I can't really test anything else =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

I've burned it and it doesn't work. I've used the cdi image as well and no such luck in working either.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Hiya. I tested the CD image before uploading it; it worked perfectly for me. What program did you use to burn it? We recommend using BootDreams. Alcohol 120% is also OK, but Diskjuggler is problematic.

Have you burned other homebrews before? (I ask to provide a benchmark that your DC can in fact play CD-R's - some cannot)

I'd love for you to be able to play this - and if there is a problem with the files, we want to address it immediately. Has anyone else burned this yet? I'd like to know if others have got it working.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

When I find time, I can test with official, Naki, and MadCatz rumble packs for you.

Great job.
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

I got it to work with the help of bootdreams and alcohol 8-)
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

update....now it doesn't want to load at all and a lot of other hb titles are not wanting to load up either. the weird thing is that a lot of them will load up if the DC is on its side though but not shippy :roll:
Coagulus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Coagulus »

That sounds like your laser / drive mechanism is a bit out of wack. Perhaps you should try the discs on another DC. Or try burning them at an even lower speed?
COAGULUS
:;;::;;;;:::;
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

well considering that 8x is the max speed that will allow to be playable it looks like ill have to drop it down to 4x or 6x and try from there. I could also try tweaking the laser too but that will be a total last resort since thats a signal of the beginning of the end for the laser to read cd-rs.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Burning speed almost got nothing to do with the DC's ability to read a CDR. It's been more a problem of people with slow hard disk drives but fast CD-Writers a few years ago.
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

If it worked for you once, then it's not the CD, it's your Dreamcast. Unless you tried it, took the CD out, ran over it with a car, then tried it again.
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

It probably is the DC since it seems the only way that it'll play cd-r titles is when it's up on it's side and regardless of whether or not it is, it will not play Shippy at all. It just recently got this way however since it has been playing cd-rs since 2001.