Cars Experimental

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Johnnylee_hang
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cars Experimental

Post by Johnnylee_hang »

Is it possible to or have anyone of you think of creating a car that uses water to run cars instead of gasoline? :lol:
Johnnylee_hang
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Johnnylee_hang »

I find two article that talks about it. Here and Here.

If this really possible, do you think Government will proven to be use?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Water doesn't burn, so you couldn't use it to fuel a modern combustion engine. You could go round in steam engines, but you have to remember that the replacement for oil, whatever it is has to be produced in huge quantitys and I think going back to steam is one of the last resorts.

As far as I can see ethanol would be an easy alternative to switch to, it still produces a few nasty gases but the world will keep moving. Thing is to convince producers to produce such large stocks in advance, counting on it to sell. The goverment would have to hand out some pretty big subsidies
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I could but no money to do it, plus the oil companies would try to kill anyone that made one
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Isnt there the Diseal mod to use vegetable oil? Cost's a lot though and not worth it...
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Buy ethanol and support corn growers. We need the support up here in the midwest.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

pixel wrote:Buy ethanol and support corn growers. We need the support up here in the midwest.
I agree, we need to move towards that...quickly. Cheaper, better for our economy, and supports agriculture.
(runs off wheat too, which is a the only product here other then barly. It's also my summer job)
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I've never experienced any performance problems by using 10% ethanol, it's great stuff.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

pixel wrote:I've never experienced any performance problems by using 10% ethanol, it's great stuff.
Standard gas is 10% ethanol.
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

i think i have mentioned this before but Fuel Cell cars are still a no show for some reason, hmm wonder why.

I first saw one on BBC's TV prog Tomorrow's World about 4-5yrs ago, it was simply a normal car but in the boot it was full of cylinder tubes that created solar radiation & around the cylinders where small batteries collecting the energy & pumping it into a larger battery that powered the car fully with everything turned on, i.e. running music or movie all lights on going over 120mph etc
I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent, i am the light in the darkness. "I AM TRUTH".
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

i think the main thing with fuel cells (iirc, they are the ones that only give off water as "exhaust") is that as soon as any O2 hits it, the fuel pretty much goes to waste without major reprocessing, so going from say the gas pump to the car needs to be an airtight seal. so far thats the only reason i can think of for it not being viable. feel free to correct me on any of this though.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

The problem with running cars on water is that like matthemodder said, water doesn't burn. You can split water onto hydrogen and oxygen and hydrogen does burn quite well. Only problem with that is that it takes more energy to split the water than you'd get back out. Even if you could come up with a more efficient way of splitting water, you'd never be able to do it with less energy than you'd get back. Otherwise, you'd have a source of free energy and physics won't let you have that,
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

water can never be run in an internal combustion engine, EVER. water is not compressible therefore the engine would hydrolock and wreck havoc. IIRC you cannot run straight ethanol for reliability reasons. I know that I have run a drag car on methanol as it is a much better fuel and produces more power than gas as it burns cooler, creating a cooling affect on each power cycle. The main problem is that you must run a car much richer therefore killing gas mileage,(as if a drag racer cares) and if left in an engine for limited amount of time, becomes corrosive to all the aluminum in the engine.
HOLY CRAP!
SinTex
Admin Goku
Admin Goku

Post by SinTex »

I am the hope of the universe, i am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace.
I am protector of the innocent, i am the light in the darkness. "I AM TRUTH".
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

mattthemodder wrote:Water doesn't burn, so you couldn't use it to fuel a modern combustion engine. You could go round in steam engines, but you have to remember that the replacement for oil, whatever it is has to be produced in huge quantitys and I think going back to steam is one of the last resorts.

As far as I can see ethanol would be an easy alternative to switch to, it still produces a few nasty gases but the world will keep moving. Thing is to convince producers to produce such large stocks in advance, counting on it to sell. The goverment would have to hand out some pretty big subsidies
Water doesn't need to burn to produce energy.
Take Deuterium and Tritium, bond them together and they form Helium and a spare neutron, all the extra mass is converted into energy. Deuterium and Tritium are isotopes of Hydrogen, of which there is an abundance of on this planet.
No signature.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

toastman wrote:
mattthemodder wrote:Water doesn't burn, so you couldn't use it to fuel a modern combustion engine. You could go round in steam engines, but you have to remember that the replacement for oil, whatever it is has to be produced in huge quantitys and I think going back to steam is one of the last resorts.

Water doesn't need to burn to produce energy.
Take Deuterium and Tritium, bond them together and they form Helium and a spare neutron, all the extra mass is converted into energy. Deuterium and Tritium are isotopes of Hydrogen, of which there is an abundance of on this planet.
Isn't Deuterium "Heavy water," an ingredient in atom bombs? Or maybe it was hydrogen bombs... i dunno.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

A-bomb i think,
Deuterium & Tritium are also both used as fuels for fusion reactors,
i've read that fusion rectors are apparently more stable and efficient the smaller they are, so if you could get one down to a decent size in the future,
it would run on water and provide heat, you'd probably shove that through a closed loop steam turbine (which afaik is the most efficient engine even created with a moving part)
and you'd have a fully water powered cars (with a miniature sun under the hood),
anyone like to predict times over the 1/4 mile....