I have an idea about dreamcast LOOK AT ME!!!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I have an idea about dreamcast LOOK AT ME!!!

Post by lackofsense »

could it be possible for memory expansion through the modem slot in the side of the dreamcast. what is the speed of that slot?
This is simply serious curiousity.
Although it may lead to something of a project.
Last edited by lackofsense on Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

HDD conceivably, but not RAM.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

iirc they used that slot for the dc zip drive & karaoke player so I don't see why a hard drive wouldn't work.
nevets934
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by nevets934 »

one of the people who made feet of fury already made a hard drive adapter
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

indeed, but thier is little software for it. And lackofsense you live upto your name, next time I would recomend the "search" feature of this forum as this has been brought up before. And your naming of topics has much to be desired
WhtCastle
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by WhtCastle »

Prophet][ wrote:indeed, but thier is little software for it. And lackofsense you live upto your name, next time I would recomend the "search" feature of this forum as this has been brought up before. And your naming of topics has much to be desired
Pre-pwned.
/WhtCastle
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

some japs built an IDE controller for the expansion slot iirc, but they never released the schematics

i believe the DC exp slot has a lot in common with the ISA bus, and in college, i do have a project about desining an isa card, but i dont see what the point would be in making one, after all, there isnt any software capable of using it, the ISA bus is kinda slow, so running games from a hdd wouldnt work well either, even if you were able to program the software to use the hdd
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

FETUS wrote:iirc they used that slot for the dc zip drive & karaoke player so I don't see why a hard drive wouldn't work.
I think the Karaoke unit used the Serial port. The only other thing that I know of going into the Extension/Expansion slot was the Broadband Adapter.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

DrFreeze wrote:some japs built an IDE controller for the expansion slot iirc, but they never released the schematics
I have the schematics on my PC, got them off Dan I think.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

The bus is capable of speeds that are good enough for a HD, and you could use cheap SDRAM for temporary storage, but obviously only at like 40 or so MB/sec. Maybe good enough to swap for large ROMs. But nobody has built anything that has been able to really take advantage of it.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lyris wrote:
FETUS wrote:iirc they used that slot for the dc zip drive & karaoke player so I don't see why a hard drive wouldn't work.
I think the Karaoke unit used the Serial port. The only other thing that I know of going into the Extension/Expansion slot was the Broadband Adapter.
no, it used the expansion bus. A grand total of 6 official devices used the expansion bus. the sega lan adapter, the bba, 56k modem,33k modem, karaoke player, and the null terminator (=P).

and yes, before anyone says it, the zip drive also used the expansion bus.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

'Cause you KNOW how useful the Zip drive would be to get your hands on, especially since absolutely nothing was coded for it ;)
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

DaMadFiddler wrote:'Cause you KNOW how useful the Zip drive would be to get your hands on, especially since absolutely nothing was coded for it ;)
Better than a BBA for testing though. No transfer time, just the time it takes to write to the disc.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

except the disc for the DC and PC were supposed to be a different format, in a few things I;ve read they were hoping to make them compatible eventually by releasing PC software.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ender wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:'Cause you KNOW how useful the Zip drive would be to get your hands on, especially since absolutely nothing was coded for it ;)
Better than a BBA for testing though. No transfer time, just the time it takes to write to the disc.
transfer time reading from a zip disc is slower than reading from a PC hard drive through BBA.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Zip drives are hideously slow.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

huh. I had no idea.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Every zip drive I've ever used was extremely slow.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

I actually emailed Iomega a few months back about the DC Zip drive, and asked for any info about it, including possible schematics and what not.

Believe it or not, they got back to me. The said they were interested in discussing it, and would contact me by phone. Unfortunately, the only phone I had at the time was my mother's cell phone, so I gave them that number, and told them to ask for me. A few days later, they called, unfortuantely when I wasn't there, and my mother asked if they would call back later.

Haven't heard from 'em since. Kinda wierd how they wanted to call me... You guys try it. Maybe you will have some success. :P
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

They probably just wanted to threaten you by phone just in case you were thinking of violating any of their intellectual property, somehow. :P
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.