Finally starting work on portable PSone...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finally starting work on portable PSone...

Post by riva16 »

Hey all, I've finally found a suitable case for my portable PSOne... Its an old computer CD ROM bay... This device is something that fits int he bay of a computer, and can hold 8 CDs... Well, the PSone gut fits symetrically with a few minor modifications... The great thing is, I can conseal the whole CD Rom and all inside, and press a button to eject the tray... the tray is being modified to hold the PSOne guts, when you eject it, the Psone slides out, and you can change games, or memory cards right there... the Psone will be modified to continue to play even when tray is ejected... I have pics, but cannot upload them yet... The system is layed out liek this... LCD on top, and controls on the bottom... My biggest obstacle is the R1, R2, L1, and L2 buttons... I'll have to remote locate those to temporary pushbuttons prolly off the controller... There will be no controller hacking, the whole controller will fit precisly on the bottom... The only hacking done will be removing the controller port, and hard wiring the controller to the board, WHILE keeping a second player port, and mem cards... I'm thinking to leave it single player... There would be no point to 2 player game play on a portable... The case will be painted as needed once fitting and cutting are complete... Wish me luck! Should be awsome! Its unfortuante i don't want to replace the backlight with LEDs to save power, but the battery shoul be fine...
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

11/22/04
Alrighty... First update... turns out there is not enough room between LCD board and CD ROM to create a functioning tray... Tray has been removed... The PSOne will be permently mounted near the back, and CD loading/removing will be done via the top of the case lifting up on a hinge... The top of the case ont he bottom will house the controller built-in, while the front by the controller will be home to 2 mem card ports, in which I may provide a second player function just for kicks...
nevets934
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by nevets934 »

sounds cool keep up the good work!
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Hey this should be cool. By portable, you mean handheld?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Maybe you could have A/V out in addition to the LCD. Then a second player port would make good sense.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Yes, my portable, I mean handheld... Its working out great...I've made a second change to the CD ROM... I'm gonna have to do it like Ben H. and a lot of other people have by placing the CD ROM on the back, and have the disc spin freely in the open... I don't want to, and don't REALLY have to, but since the plastic is soft"er", if you bend the case while playing, there's so little room between CD and LCD board it would touch the disc... Plus, this allows me to suport the plastic with more plstic, Permentaly connect the case, so there's no hinge to the guts where you would normally have to change discs, I can always snatch the PSOne lid and use that, full use of open button and everything, and incorparate the battery better... I now have pics, just need to upload and post them... Not great pics so don't freak out until you see them... You'll be disappointed...
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

PICS!

Post by riva16 »

Ok, these pics were taken before I kept changing my ideas... I have posted all 7 pics i've taken so far... The PSone portable is still in major work because i've been busy wworking to make money... And i understand there is duct tape on the board... Thats my demo board becuase its broke... This is just layout and test and error... The project is barely started yet... The only thing done is de-soldering of PSOne system guts gor certain things, and trimming of the baord... Yes, i had to cut the board around the edge, no effects to system at all, just so it would fit in the case...
http://djky2k3.tripod.com/id19.html
Last edited by riva16 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: PICS!

Post by MKE »

riva16 wrote:Ok, thes epics were taken before I kept changing my ideas... I have posted all 7 pics i've taken so far... The PSone portable is still in major work because i've been busy wworking to make money...
for people usin firefox (or people that cant see the pic's click below)

http://tinypic.com/nfipg
http://tinypic.com/nfipz
http://tinypic.com/nfiqb
http://tinypic.com/nfith
http://tinypic.com/nfits
http://tinypic.com/nfiu8
http://tinypic.com/nfjpt

pic 4's in there now, nice job so far i may try and do a portable some day, tither that or put a ps1 screen on the xbox and have it fold down...., i t wont be handheld, but it will be portable.
Last edited by MKE on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Thanks man... Too bad i'm trying to make a page right now, and was trying to change the post to a link to my site... The pics are horrible... Aha, i forgot the underdash(_) int he link between p and 4... psp_4.txt. I've changed all the links on my site to .jpgs, and the above post is changed for the page, not individual pics...
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Hey looks really good. Good Job.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

11/24/04
Starting to cut laser drive hole in back of portable... Will maybe even fit the LCD in and mount the LCD and board for gap testing... When I say gap testing, i need to see how much of a gap there is between board and PSOne board to fit the battery... I may crop the tray down to a smaller size, and use that as a memcard/battery bay... The battery will fit behind a seperator piece to hold that in, and the front of the tray will house a memory card slot, and second player control slot where a controller will come out to the right of the first player... So the controlle rport will face right... The first player memcard slot, minus a controller lsot appearently, will face to the left for the single player...
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

hey kyle, nice porject man, but might i recommend a more comfortable case? the way i see it, its gonna end up like a normal sized cd-rom drive, and i dont think that will be nice and easy to play on

otherwise, nice project, this made me remember the DCGBA project kungpow was working on, i hope when the DS hits europe, the old model GBA's will really drop down hard in price, then i might get one to fuck around with
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Oh no. The case is surprisingly comfortable... Its only as thick as a CD rOM, which is perfect for me... I got osme new pics...
The new pics are of the cut LCD part and the system inside the case showing my idea for the memcard and second player control slots...
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Hey did you measure the case? Like how long is it? Just curious thats why.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

11/25/04
If there's one thing i don't do, its measure... I will though later... The project is coming along nicely... Everything is working out for the better... at one point i thought i fried the PSOne board becuase i fried a fuse, BUT, i just patched into the 5v regulator, and its fine! Another thing... I just found my pare PS2 cooling fan, which just so happens to run at 5v, so i can patch that into a 5v regulator, I have 3 to choose from as far as i know, and use that to cool the system... My idea for cooling is to accelerate the air through the hole in the laser eyes track that the laser follows... Since the laser will be out in the open, it should work great... I have mounted the LCD and LCD board, and am changing the way i install the laser assembly... Instead of dremeling the hole myslef, I'm simplying dremeling out an easy circle, then cutting out the PSone case laser area, and glueing it in... won't look good until I piant it... I think I'll paint the whole case sky blue, the trim piece in the front black, and the laser assebly will stay grey... I haven't talked about the trim piece, its just a piece of plstic that goes in front over the tray to cover up, and make the case look seamless... There will even be a bright blue power LED pointing out the bottom towards the user, not the eyes though... I haven't thought about brightness and volume buttons yet... I can't just use the LCD boards buttons now, since I had to de-solder those to fit the pushbuttons... I'll prolly stay witht he pushbuttons, just mount them somewhere else... Thats all for now... :D
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I would higly recommend you DO NOT use duct tape to hold down any PCBs.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

I know, I'm not... That was just to hold it in temporarily while I looked for space int he case... Everything fits seamlessly now...
Here's what I've finished today... I went out and dremeled a hole for the laser assembly... Turned out horrible, nothing i couldn't fix up though... There are pics on my page...
I have mounted the laser assembly, perfect... The laser assembly is only mounted with superglue enough to hold it in place until the unit is finished, so it can be removed easily for painting... Then will be permenently mounted with a lot of glue when finished completely... I think it looks better with the cut out part fromt he PSone... Adds to texture and look,. along with the warning not to touch the lens!
Here's a link tot he page again...
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

11/26/04
Finally cut the whole for the controller... The pic was added to my page... What has happened is I have dropped using Dual Shock, won't fit like i wanted to, BUT, i used a plain standard controller... I also abandoned my idea to install just the buttons poking out of the case and went for the whole controller look... What i did was dremel the legs down flat with the controller... This now allows the controller guts to sit inside the controller case, and NOT take up ANY room of the case, except for wires! Awsome... I now have the room needed to house the battery... No addons, all in one area! This will also have enough room to house the memcard slots, and second player controls! Check it out... Like everything else, it will be painted to match the case color, sky blue, and will have the PS lgo from the lid of the now destroyed PSOne system cd cover... This thing is coming together beautifully!
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Does anyone care anymore? I haven't recieved any replies lately... I need everyone's opinions and complaints to keep me going... :( :wink:
Ohh yeah, also looking for a PSOne LCD board, mines toast now... anyone have a screen with a broken LCD screen or something i can steal the baord from? Thats all i need... Official Sony 5.5" LCD...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

im still watchin to see where ya get....

do you know what kinda battery life you get?
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods