why did dreamcast go under

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Steven Traylor
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why did dreamcast go under

Post by Steven Traylor »

:cry: [color=darkred][/color]
man i dont get it dreamcast was the best system out for the longest time.
I meen what system start off with online game play with the hotest games,
kick assassin vmu's,and perfect hand fiting controler's.I fill the dreamcast
shoud have stayed out
final fantasy's are the best games in the hole world =)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

First of all... This is in the wrong forum..

Second, Dreamcast's Online play wasn't ready at launch. Online support on DC games didnt come around until a year later...

:roll:
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Also, don't forget the Warez monkeys...
Agent 00Zer0
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Agent 00Zer0 »

definitely wrong forum...but....

Whille lack of initial online play and the entire warez scene (copied/free games without use of 'modchip' as in a psx) harmed the dc, it wasn't the only reason. Sega had lost a lot of respect, first with their half-a$$ed implementaion of the 32x, and then with the lack-luster performance of the Saturn. Lots of people felt that sega might do the same thing again, especially in the all important japanese market. Too many people decided to 'wait and see.'

It definitely is sad as it is such a good product, but such is life.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Well we'll continue this in Off Topic then...
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
doofnuck
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by doofnuck »

what r u guys talkin about this should be in the Dreamcast discussion forum
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

it's because people r biast all the time they just think sega sucks without even having one that's why it never got a fair change when the dc came out psx was still at it's peak
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by biohazard »

The lack of online play at lanch didn't hurt the DC. No other system had online play at launch except for X-Box. (Halo)
Who dares, wins.
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

i dont the people "get it"
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

There are many reasons which led to the demise of the DC, and I'd say the 2 main ones would be Money and hype.

First of all, there was MASSIVE hype for the PS2, I barely even knew about the dreamcast until it was basically out.

Many people thought that the Dreamcast would be way inferior to the PS2, and the PS2 would kick it out of the water in graphics and sound. However, the PS2 is only marginally more powerfull than the Dreamcast, but the hype is what it keeps it up floating over even the X-box and GCube.

Also, Sega had basically NO money after the 32x, SegaCD and Saturn failures, they had to borrow money to build the Dreamcast.
They also had poor marketing, didn't have enough money to make many ads (none here in Australia) and eventually they just were tired of losing out, now they seem to be just forgetting the poor DC alltogether.

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
bgbassplayer2005
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bgbassplayer2005 »

Chu Chu Rocket u can play online and it was a launch title
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

bgbassplayer2005 wrote: Chu Chu Rocket u can play online and it was a launch title

Chu Chu Rocket wasn't a launch title in the US... It came out the following spring.
Envy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Envy »

1. warez 2. no rpg's for japanesse people 3. no squaresoft
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Envy wrote: 1. warez 2. no rpg's for japanesse people 3. no squaresoft
4. No EA
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I think some of the reasons are:

1. Warez some, but not all. I mean its still easier to Pirate a PC game then a DC game.

2. Lack of GREAT games. I mean yes there was some good games but too many sports, racing, and fighting games. Not enough Adventure/rpg games. And what few adventure games it did have had pitiful controls. People can say what they want but Sports games are all the same for me. Also ever noticed Sports games are usually the games you see in flea markets, on ebay, and in stores really cheap and STILL unable to sell?

3. Lack of trust in Sega Consoles. I mean the only TRUE successful system they had was the Genesis. I mean the gamegear, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Saturn, and to my knowledge the MAster System all didn't last very long. I could be wrong on the Master System though. I mean that is sad when a black and white Gameboy was able to beat the Game Gear.

I don't think the absence of the on-line play at first was a big deal considering most people have never played there ps2 on-line. I know there is Beta Testing of Final Fantasy 11 in Japan right now, but in the U.S. I don't even know where or even if you can get a ps2 modem?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

actually sega had 2 big hits with master systym and genesis and after that it went totally wrong 4 sega and warez didn't matter 4 dc going under I mean there r a lot of warez 4 ps2 but it doesn't affect the sales it's really not as effective 4 the console as many think

dreamcaster1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcaster1 »

The dreamcast died because sega would not support it with its classics they gave us no nights 2 no panzer dragoon no vector man or golden axe they just gave us sonic sports titles and jet grind radio they were to scared to risk any of there classic titles on the system
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

mr drunkensailor, the master system actually was not a hit in the US, but in Europe it was huge (about what the nes was here).
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

I only knew about europe since I live in holland a lot of people had it over here

Boogerman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boogerman »

1) No-one wanted to give Sega another chance... Mega-CD and 32X were Segas mistakes, the Satur was awesome but no-one gave them a chance

2) Advertising. The adverts in the UK sucked ass "Up to 6 billion players" WHO GIVES A RATS ASS! How are the games? The ads don't show you the awesome game footage

3) Copy Protection From the Mega-CD to the DC... NONE of Segas machines have needed a hardware mod meaning the average Joe can just download a game and stick it on a CD and play (With a lil bit of trickery ;)) PS2 needs a chip... some people are scared to crank open a ?300 system shockingly :P

4) EA... The make sucky games... they are probably the most influential publisher in the west... the idiots who would rather play NBA Live to NBA2k2... pffffff

5) Who cares? Look around this site... look at the great stuff it can offer! Buy the best games you can now, play them...

Now, get a GC... get Super Monkey Ball and see Segas orignallity and fantatstic gameplay once more!

Get a PS2... watch how VF4 is simply the best fighter ever (Unless you have "urges".... *grabs the DOA2*)

Get an XBox... wait for the next step in Yu Suzukis masterpeice (and hopefully an evoloution) in the fantastic, epic Shenmue series

and finally, get a GBA... Think back to how great Sonic was in 2D while on a bus!

Sega never made the best consoles.... they made the best games which used to sell the consoles... now watch how awesome all the consoles are with Segas support :D