Wolfenstein 3D SDL

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wolfenstein 3D SDL

Post by emptythought »

Any chance of anyone trying to getting it to compile? I'm sure it could be done, especially with the fact of some of it being written in SDL.

I'm sure I am not the only one wanting a Wolfenstein 3D port, this bad boy was one of the first FPS ever made. This baby is a classic!

If I could, at the least get a reply of the portability of this version of the game, that would be great.

Source code is here: http://www.bebits.com/app/2718
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

There is a wolfentein 3D port :?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Dont think that has sound and it's not open source to the public.
Dreamcast forever!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I know, I know... I just thought I would be really cool to see a complete port. The existing port doesn't have sound or smooth controls, don't get me wrong that port is great just to play Wolfenstein 3D on my Dreamcast, but a full, complete port, now that'd just blow my mind, as I'm sure with many other people.

If you're a fan of Wolfenstein 3D, you'd have to agree, ace. ;)

EDIT: Ian, did you try downloading it from here:
http://www.bebits.com/bob/11209/wolf3d-20011028.tar.gz
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Oh I definetly agree that would be excellent fackue, I just dont remember much about the original port is all ;)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Had a look at it i dont see that much problem to port it asm is removed or has an option for it and the video and controls are sdl. Take a bit of porting thou since many of the functions need converted some do just from a glance seeing the headers there using. But really some one with the time could do it over 1 week if committed.
Dreamcast forever!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Just reading that is great. I really hope someone takes a jab at it.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Man this would be so great to port!
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Times like this is when I wish I knew C/C++!

That's why I learnt Visual Basic.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o :D I REALLY LOVE WOLFENSTEIN 3D :twisted: and capslock

Die Fuhrer, Die!
Insane homebrew collector.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Yeah.

Cool game.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Ian Micheal wrote:Had a look at it i dont see that much problem to port it asm is removed or has an option for it and the video and controls are sdl. Take a bit of porting thou since many of the functions need converted some do just from a glance seeing the headers there using. But really some one with the time could do it over 1 week if committed.
Old thread, but I just bought Spear of Destiny from the ID Software website so I thought I'd take a look at this to see what could be done with it (not that I'd necessarilly be the one to do the 'doing' with it, but I was curious.) Anyway, just for fun I thought I'd see if it would compile for Windows with Dev-C++. It took me maybe an hour or two to get it to compile, which was fairly painless. It doesn't run, though. :? (That's ok - I can still play it on my computer.) The headers it's using seem to be easilly worked around. I don't think you need glob.h at all if you do a little bit of work.

At any rate, as Ian said it can probably be done if somebody wants to spend the time. This is the same source that the guy that did the GP32 port started with. Doesn't seem to use SDL for sound, though, so that would require some rewriting. It'd be cool to have a few Wolf3d ports like we have a few Doom and Quake ports.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Thanks for doing just that, 138.

I played the KOS re-port the other day for about an hour and even playing that was fun.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

No problem. This is what I do for fun anyway. :D

I did get a bit further - I had noticed there were a bunch of preprocessor directives to check for different things, some of these were "am I compiling for DOS or Linux" so staying with my bad habbits, I just commented out all the Linux-specific stuff to use the DOS stuff that was there instead of doing things the 'right' way, but I forgot to take out an #ifdef, which is why it wouldn't load the game. Now, it starts to load the game data but it crashes almost immediately. I think I know why - there was some other stuff that I think is in some headers/libs that Dev-C++ doesn't use (I assume they're more Linux things) - it was one struct and one function, so I just kinda guessed at what they do and wrote my own struct and function. I should have probably researched that stuff a bit further before applying my hackish... uh... hack, but it's 5am and I have to work this afternoon. I'll probably work on this for a little while off and on while some other stuff has me stumped, but for now it's bedtime.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Not sure how interested most people are in this, especially since I haven't attempted to compile it for Dreamcast and there's already a Wolf3D port for DC, but here's what I've found:

In order to keep it from hanging when you use the keyboard, It appears I have to use -O2 when I compile it. That's fine, I suppose, although it does bug me a bit. So, I had the menus working but it kept hanging when I entered the game. It took me a while to figure out that it was because there was one function that was getting it caught in an endless loop. The offending code, when I looked at it, seems totally unnecessary.

So, anyway, now I have Spear of Destiny rendered at 640x480 with no sound, and playing rather slowly (probably because I did something stupid when I fixed that endless loop.) I have yet to attempt sound because I'm going to have to convert the oss sound thingy to use SDL, probably with SDL_Mixer, and that's going to take some doing. But, I'm having fun. :D
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

That's freakin' great man. Can not wait to see what you've done with it. :)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Eh, I haven't done much really. I've got the game working without sound on my P.C, but I still have to rewrite some of the code to work with KOS. It works pretty decent at 320x200, but when I try to enable sound I just get a horrible buzzing.
tr0ll
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tr0ll »

That last bit, about running slow, and buzzing sound, is why I never really got too much further with it. That, and I've been working full-time for a few months now (after finishing up with university finals and what not), and don't even want to see a computer after the 8 hours a day I spend in front of one, eyes bleeding.

I'll throw my source code up in here later on if and when I find it and unarchive it.
R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell :(
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Just an offtopic question.
I think I still have the DOS floppies from Blake Stone and Planet Strike somewhere, anyone knows if the wolf3d linux port supports those games?
Also I don't know if those DOS games run under actual windowzes
thnks

About wolf3D mods, i think you'll love this site ;)
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/news.htm
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

The Linux port only supports Wolfenstein3D shareware, Wolfenstein3D full version, Spear of Destiny, and the Spear of Destiny demo.

If you want to just play your old DOS games, DOSBox might do the job for you. Spear of Destiny works fairly well on my WindowsXP machine with DOSBox, so the music works. Just running it normally on XP, the game works but there is no music.
tr0ll wrote:That last bit, about running slow, and buzzing sound, is why I never really got too much further with it. That, and I've been working full-time for a few months now (after finishing up with university finals and what not), and don't even want to see a computer after the 8 hours a day I spend in front of one, eyes bleeding.

I'll throw my source code up in here later on if and when I find it and unarchive it.
That would be awesome! I'd love to take a look at your source. :D