No backward compatibility in Xbox 2

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

No backward compatibility in Xbox 2

Post by az_bont »

"Sources close to Microsoft's senior Xbox executives have confirmed that the company does not intend to make its next-generation console, which is set to be launched by late 2005, backwards compatible with existing Xbox software.

Speculation about the backwards compatibility functionality has been rife since it emerged that Xbox 2 - codenamed Xenon - will have radically different hardware to the original system, with a non-x86 processor, no hard drive and an ATI, rather than NVIDIA, graphics chipset, all of which would make running Xbox titles on the platform very difficult.

It was widely believed, however, that Microsoft had retained a team of hardware emulation experts to work on the problem - although concerns over the viability of such an endeavour were voiced by some experts, especially regarding the company's ability to emulate the functions of the graphics unit in the Xbox without violating NVIDIA's intellectual property rights.

GamesIndustry.biz has now learned that Microsoft does not plan to provide any backwards compatibility in the next-generation Xenon platform - and indeed, that senior executives at the company don't believe backwards compatibility to be an important feature for consoles.

According to a source close to the project, internal Microsoft figures suggest that only 10 per cent of PlayStation 2 purchasers were interested in the console's ability to play titles developed for the original PlayStation.

Full article: gamesindustry.biz
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I knew this would happen, although I can't really say it disappoints me in any way. Chances are if I were to buy the next xbox I would plug it in to the same rig my xbox is plugged into right now so there would be no need for backwards compatibility.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

So nothing on xbox 1 is worth playing as soon as version 2 is out which has no harddrive so there be no way it can do most of things people use it for right now.

I would say it's handy to have it ,being able to play ,xbox1 games so you dont have a big mess and have to swaping each machine in and out of the rig you have set up.

Backward compatabilty is great on the PS2 now the DS and the GBA. There making a big mistake not including it. For one thing none of the emulators or homebrew will work on it.

Whats the xbox2 worth then.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: No backward compatibility in Xbox 2

Post by Nyarlathotep »

az_bont wrote: According to a source close to the project, internal Microsoft figures suggest that only 10 per cent of PlayStation 2 purchasers were interested in the console's ability to play titles developed for the original PlayStation
I would suspect they take that figure from a poll that asked 'what is the most important thing to you in the PS2? <list of PS2 features>' rather than 'do you like backwards compatibility? <yes / no>' because I can't seriously believe that only 10% of PS2 owners appreciate that it can play the PSX games they already owned.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think Microsoft are making a big mistake. Modern construction methods just wont allow for an xbox and an xbox 2 in an upstairs room, although it may not cause major damage, over a logn period of time I can see the cieling collapsing, especially if you invite your friends round.

Sorry Xbox fans, youre all gonna have to move into bungalows :P
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Please Nintendo make yours backward compatible.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

BoneyCork wrote:I think Microsoft are making a big mistake. Modern construction methods just wont allow for an xbox and an xbox 2 in an upstairs room, although it may not cause major damage, over a logn period of time I can see the cieling collapsing, especially if you invite your friends round.

You know, you're not funny.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

compacho wrote:Please Nintendo make yours backward compatible.
I'd say with the next console they bring out, we may have a good shot at seeing backwards compatability, since Nintendo finally decided to make a CD-based console.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

melancholy wrote:
I'd say with the next console they bring out, we may have a good shot at seeing backwards compatability, since Nintendo finally decided to make a CD-based console.
I guess it all depends on what type of disc Nintendo goes for next gen. If they use mini-discs again then it'll be no problem, but I really hope Nintendo uses normal sized DVDs like Sony and MS uses for their current systems as I despise swapping discs
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I don't see how this really can be an issue. SNES sails didn't fail because it didn't play nes.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Roofus wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I think Microsoft are making a big mistake. Modern construction methods just wont allow for an xbox and an xbox 2 in an upstairs room, although it may not cause major damage, over a logn period of time I can see the cieling collapsing, especially if you invite your friends round.

....coming from a null mod. :roll: which is now only funny if you happen to live in a padded cell and have more nipples than brain cells.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

melancholy wrote:
actually i would hope they don't. as far as piracy is concerned they should keep their mini-DVD format or come up with something silmilar. maybe use the new EVD (i think that's what it's called) technology. making a CD format system is asking for everyone to try to pirate it because they couldn't do it on the first GameCube.

anyway, hopefully Xbox 2 will have some great games.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

BoneyCork wrote:
Roofus wrote:

....coming from a null mod. :roll: which is now only funny if you happen to live in a padded cell and have more nipples than brain cells.
Still not working for me, Boney. And you haven't disputed anything. All you've done is point out that you think Null is stupid. Nice try, though. I guess.

Anyway, on topic. I really have no interest in the XBox 2. I only really use my Xbox for a media center, and it'll do that just fine for years.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I don't have any particular desire for backwards compatibility myself but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea. I'll probably still be buying the next Nintendo & Xbox whether they have backwards compatibility or not as I've been very satisfied with both of the current gen offerings.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

a zull comment would of been, "paul allen could suck my cock and i still wouldn't touch xbox 2"

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lunchbox wrote:I guess it all depends on what type of disc Nintendo goes for next gen. If they use mini-discs again then it'll be no problem, but I really hope Nintendo uses normal sized DVDs like Sony and MS uses for their current systems as I despise swapping discs
Just because there's a chance they will use full size disc doesn't mean they still can't make it backwards compatable. A normal DVD Player can read smaller DVD's, so the physical size of the disc really doesn't matter.

q_006 wrote:actually i would hope they don't. as far as piracy is concerned they should keep their mini-DVD format or come up with something silmilar. maybe use the new EVD (i think that's what it's called) technology. making a CD format system is asking for everyone to try to pirate it because they couldn't do it on the first GameCube.
No, I meant that the data is on discs instead of cartridges. I didn't mean I hope the next Gamecube should be able to read CD's.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

how can they have backward's capability without the hdd?

xbox games load temp files ot the hdd (3 partitions 750mb each) so without atleast a 3 gig hdd, there can be no backward's compatibility...

plus, if you are going to buy an xbox 2, chances are you already own the xbox...

and if you dont, buy one, they are cheap used... and last longer used then a new ps2 does..
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Roofus wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Roofus wrote:

Still not working for me, Boney. And you haven't disputed anything. All you've done is point out that you think Null is stupid. Nice try, though. I guess.

Anyway, on topic. I really have no interest in the XBox 2. I only really use my Xbox for a media center, and it'll do that just fine for years.
yeah, i agree not funny at all. Your not clever or witty so stop trying.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

MKE wrote:how can they have backward's capability without the hdd?

xbox games load temp files ot the hdd (3 partitions 750mb each) so without atleast a 3 gig hdd, there can be no backward's compatibility...

plus, if you are going to buy an xbox 2, chances are you already own the xbox...

and if you dont, buy one, they are cheap used... and last longer used then a new ps2 does..
I think I read they were going to have some kind of internal IDE flash device for storage.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

An ATI graphics chipset? Didn't the Gamecube have an ATI graphics chipset? What does this mean for Nintendo's next system?