Saturn Emulator?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
lca806
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Saturn Emulator?

Post by lca806 »

I have not been on this site in a long time, so I took some time and was reading some articles that were scanned in about the site. While reminscing, I came across a quote that said a saturn emulator was in the works. I searched for a little while for past board discussion, but I came up with 1043 hits. So i thought it easier just to ask how it was coming, or if it is just not possible to do. I would so like to play my dragon force game again... I sold it foolishly to get my DC :(
skar
how powerful i am!

Post by skar »

well as far as i know

-there isn't a saturn emulator for dreamcast so far
-the chance that there will ever be one that runs smooth is about zero. Even on highend-pcs saturn emulation is still a problem...
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

The faq will tell you which systems emulators are not being developed for.

Saturn. Probably never. Tricky piece of hardware. If you are kicking yourself for selling your Saturn (much like I do), you can find them and the main stream games cheap on ebay. Unfortunately, I had expensive things like Dragon Warrior, so my hope of getting back my old collection is zero.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

I'll just tell you what they told me when I was a n00b....

never gonna happen...

sorry man. i wish it was a possibility.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

hehe "back in my day there was might long talks about saturn emulation, half of um saying its like n64, no way no how, other half saying maybe maybe" pfft. Odds are it wont happen. Although the more i think about it, the more i see that it may be possible. Since the Sh4 runs so much faster than the SH2s of the saturn, it would be easy for it to emulate the 2 sh2 chips (since the instructions are compatible) and then the only huge problem would be getting the pvr2 to emulate the 2 vdps.basically the way to do it would be to reform the way the saturn hardware is emulated. Instead of 4 discrete processors, only emulate one of each, but running at 2x the clockspeed. the main processors wouldnt be that bad, the biggest problem would be the vdps.

oh but yes, impossible! Impossible!!!
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

quzar wrote:Since the Sh4 runs so much faster than the SH2s of the saturn, it would be easy for it to emulate the 2 sh2 chips (since the instructions are compatible)
The problem there is the endianness of the processors. The SH2's of the Saturn are Big Endian, the SH4 of the Dreamcast is little endian. While, it would be trivial to reverse the byte ordering of the instructions, it would be quite difficult to get anything working in this fashion, as far as I can tell.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

hehe endianness.

yea, but there should be some sort of very non-intensive dynamic 'endian reversal' process that already exists... maybe?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

http://www.xsorbit2.com/users/chronotri ... 1085465937
Zeenbor wrote:I'll let the other team members speak for themselves, but this is my first home-brew project being released to the public.

I've done other personal projects that never saw a public release, like:

- SH-4 interperter on an unannounced DC emu back in 2000
- DC ip.bin Win32 tool
- Saturn emulator for the Dreamcast
- Gekko disassembler (Can't release this)
- Partial work on UltraHLE OpenGL port (WAY back before it was announced)
- FFIX for N64 (Just the 2D part that you see when it boots up)
- Chrono Trigger for N64
- lzEngine cross-platform engine for N64, DC, and PSone

Don't ask for screenshots because I dont have the source or assets to any of these project anymore, except the most recent ones (Gekko disasm, Saturn Emulator). The rest of these projects are ANCIENT.
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yea he was working on it. that dosnt mean that it worked at all. Just means that it was worked on.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

* MetaFox mumbles something about "Saturation" and walks away.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

?
Christuserloeser

:D Yeah, I should have written some comment to my post. Of course that doesn't mean anything. If it would have worked somewhat playable then maybe we had seen a release of it.

Chris
Wsttrollboy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Wsttrollboy »

quzar wrote:?
It was a very bad play on words (I think) was it? :o
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Thats what i thought but then i thought maybe its some sort of attack on unfinished or nonworking projects, was just wondering which of the two it was...
Christuserloeser

...maybe Meta works on an top secret Saturn emulator for DC and I / we? made him somewhat angry? Chris bites his lips and wishes that would be true somehow : P

Chris
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

quzar wrote:and then the only huge problem would be getting the pvr2 to emulate the 2 vdps.
That isn't likely to happen, because the two VDPs are very different in nature from the PVR chip in the DC.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

To switch endian modes, I think it has to be built into the processor. Otherwise sol.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Fully playable version will take some doing. Lot of problems geting it to work as people have stated.
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

hmm, there is not even a saturn emu that works for PC, you think someone can create one with its magic stick?

even giri-giri, which was made by SEGA still doesn't work proper, first I thougt that my 1Ghz PC was way to slow for saturn emulation, but when I tried this emulator again on my dads new PC (athlon 64 3000+) it still didn't work on full speed.
Most people are forgetting that speed is not the only problem, just think, there is not any saturn emu that can run more than 50% of all the games till the end.
Idont wanna destroy any dreams, but IT NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, NEVER
forget it! just ike Jaguar emulation, the Jaguar is even worse that the saturn...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

even giri-giri, which was made by SEGA
GiriGiri was not made by Sega. It was coded independently and then licensed.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer