PSO Homebrewed Server?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would ya want to use a fan-made PSO server?

Total votes: 0
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SinisterTengu »

Making our own RPG and creating a server for it wouldn't work, because we don't know how to operate the DC's modem. In PSO, it already has the stuff to use it, they would just be doing stuff with the data that goes in and out of the modem.
Osiris
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Osiris »

The expression is "How do you like them apples?" :wink:
What, then, is truth? ...in moral terms: the obligation to lie according to a fixed convention.
--Nietzsche
LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa »

im british so i say how do u like those apples, thats the joke
-----> LoUiS ThA KiLLa
--------> KiCKiNG iT WHiLE YOU JUST KEEP iT SiMPLE
-------------> i LOVE THiS BOARD LiKE MY MOTHER & MOTA
-------------------> HOW DO YOU LiKE THOSE APPLES?
LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa »

ANY WAY, why doesnt someone work out the modem....

how did people figure out how the nes works so people can emulate it

or how did people work out how the dreamcast works so people can emulate that!!!!
-----> LoUiS ThA KiLLa
--------> KiCKiNG iT WHiLE YOU JUST KEEP iT SiMPLE
-------------> i LOVE THiS BOARD LiKE MY MOTHER & MOTA
-------------------> HOW DO YOU LiKE THOSE APPLES?
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

LoUiS_ThA_KiLLa wrote:ANY WAY, why doesnt someone work out the modem....

how did people figure out how the nes works so people can emulate it

or how did people work out how the dreamcast works so people can emulate that!!!!
Honestly, you don't think they have tried to work out the modem? You think you are the first person to think of doing that? Problem is that the drivers for the modem are on the actual game disc for games, and since all the home devvers don't have access to Sega's dev kits, they can't get the drivers. We need the drivers to get the modem to work. It would be very hard(if not impossible) to make our own. Someone could hack one of Sega's games and possibly find the drivers, or figure out how to use the modem, but since that is illegal, nobody really has.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

OK. Here's my plan. We hack the disk (tee hee). Then release the drivers over irc......In a channel....that...is...not...there...right now...
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
CGI_32c
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by CGI_32c »

sorry for appearing annoying

i was joking

how do people work out how to emulate consoles any way?
i am cgi_32c
goodbye
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by goodbye »

right thats it im going

many people here are cool and we've helped each other emulate stuff on the dreamcast

they've been a couple of cool mods like dr.z who deserve respect

and theres a lot of twats that suck p?nis, i wish cancer upon them

goodbye forever dcemu
MrBob
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by MrBob »

Anyhow, back to the topic, I think a server for PSO v2 should not be made until the Sega servers go down. PSO v1 is free to play, so playing on your own server would not be taking anything away from Sega. However, PSO v2 costs money, so using a homebrew server for it might fall out under 'stealing service'.

BTW, how is the FTP server going? Building up logs?

MrBob
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hornpipe2 »

Not to be too legally critical, but...
While PSOv1 is free to play (no premiums), so is Battle.net
Blizzard's problem was with CD-key checks. This would be virtually impossible through homebrew methods, as the individual servers have no records of people's CD-keys and serial numbers (and it'd be a bad thing to give those out to individual server owners anyway...)
Thus, does this encourage piracy? You walk a fine line... Not that I'm saying that Sega will particularly care, but even so...
However, I did get my DC to route the other day. PSO r0x0rz online. Where do you want log files sent? Using what program (or does it matter?)

-Greg
tidal
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tidal »

*bump* keeping the topic alive... i have two DCs with two copies of PSO and two BBAs to test with on a LAN
Eclipse
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Eclipse »

Well, making a homebrew server for PSO is going to take a lot of work and to get the damned thing to connect to the server is gonna be another thing. I think its a great idea but its going to take a lot of work. Gonna need more than one person to get this ready. How many of you actualy want to work on this? I'd love to but i'm not a hacker.
XxDark-FirexX
The passing of fire comes with rain.
Eclipse
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Eclipse »

Yo i was thinking here. One time when i got on PSO they had to fix my Hunter gave him a shit load of level one stuff. the only thing that stayed the same was my level. Now we could rig up the servers maybe so that if the file on the VMU is messed up that it wouldn't take away all ur stuff. Getting ur Stag Cutterly + 15 and Panzers Tail mag taken away is really annoying ya know? So what do ya thnk?
XxDark-FirexX
Eclipse
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Eclipse »

Yo i was thinking here. One time when i got on PSO they had to fix my Hunter gave him a shit load of level one stuff. the only thing that stayed the same was my level. Now we could rig up the servers maybe so that if the file on the VMU is messed up that it wouldn't take away all ur stuff. Getting ur Stag Cutterly + 15 and Panzers Tail mag taken away is really annoying ya know? So what do ya thnk?
XxDark-FirexX
AnimeUSA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by AnimeUSA »

What's the status of this project? I'm really interested in helping out!
BooT_BoY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BooT_BoY »

yeah what is the status of the pso home brew server and the status of working oput the dc modem
Jesus Christ wrote:I Want Some one to kill god for me or somthing.......
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

I understand the modem drivers are one of the many problems here, however being a PocketPC user, it brings to light the drivers I have to use to get my modem to work with it: Generic Hayes Driver.

Would it be of any assistance to anyone for me to find this driver on my PocketPC and dump it? I reckon you'd need the ce 2.11 version, and might be able to find my old casio e100 for this.
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hornpipe2 »

Actually there is very little need to do anything to the DC modem drivers. The PSO game itself dials up servers and handles all DC modem work that would need to be done. This project would only handle already open always-on connections based off a PC - all generally known topics anyway. (Note that the eventual goal of this project is a clone of Sega's PSO servers running off of a home PC... limited to about eight players or so.) Thus the project is a matter of analyzing packets and avoiding the Feds ;-). But hey - I'm (sort of) a hacker type guy, and if I can find time I'd love to get in on a project like this. If anyone here needs some basic coding stuff I can give you a hand - VB, C++, limited Java, etc. Not sure if anyone else is working on this project any more, but I thought I'd put my name out just in case.

-Greg
BooT_BoY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BooT_BoY »

sounds good! but we're going to need somone with a pc with 8 modems and 8 phone lines that we can dial into. whos going to have this?
Jesus Christ wrote:I Want Some one to kill god for me or somthing.......
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hornpipe2 »

You don't need that either...
Let me explain the project.
Normally you'd configure the DC to dial up your ISP as needed. Then you get on PSO and tell it to connect. PSO software tells the DC modem to dial up your ISP, and you've got an online connection. At this point the DC looks up "pso.sega.com" or whatever the DNS entry is (I'm not sure, it's earlier in this post anyway). Sega distributes IP addresses of working servers ("ships", as they are called in the game). The DC disconnects from Sega's main server and connects to one of the IPs, which accepts the connection and then ruuns a game fron there.
So...
This project comes in at the "dial up your ISP" part. Instead, you rig your DC through your PC's free modem so it dials up your PC, and the PC will then route the DC to the PSO server through there. (note - requires an available Broadband connection, I think... though if you had two modems, you could also try that.) More info is available at http://www.dcvision.com/mterlouw/ if you want it - this is personally how I connect to PSO anyway. Then, the (our) program tricks the DC into thinking it has opened a connection to pso.sega.com by faking a new IP under that domain name. (That's the easy part - just run your own DNS server with one entry and your own IP in place.) The program will then distribute active server IPs allowing the DC to connect to any compter currently running the server software. (This will take a little hacking, but should not be too terribly difficult.) Homebrew server software runs a Sega-style PSO "ship" from there. (That's the hard part)
Notice that the only dialing done is between your DC and your own PC, so nobody needs eight modems. The rest is handled through software internet protocol connections to various IP addresses.
Again - not sure if anyone is still working on this. Just thought I'd try to explain the idea as I see it. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

-Greg