GD Rom

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
fsterman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GD Rom

Post by fsterman »

I was talking to a friend who said that her mom works at a radio station and they have CD's with huge capacities, and they are not DVD's! Could the GD Rom disc be a licensed modified type of radio station disk?
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

GD Rom

Post by kRYPT_ »

GDROM is a special format developed by Yamaha. If you want to learn more about GDROM, details are at ----- LINK REMOVED -----
fsterman wrote: I was talking to a friend who said that her mom works at a radio station and they have CD's with huge capacities, and they are not DVD's! Could the GD Rom disc be a licensed modified type of radio station disk?
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

GD Rom

Post by DeGamer1 »

fsterman wrote: I was talking to a friend who said that her mom works at a radio station and they have CD's with huge capacities, and they are not DVD's! Could the GD Rom disc be a licensed modified type of radio station disk?
Yeah Krypt is right. But the only other thing I can think of are those 99 minute (850MB) CDrs, which basically over burning a 90 minute CDR. Not all CDR writers are compatible with that though.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Which reminds me. I have an uncle that works in Atmel, a major company that makes high tech stuff. I remember him telling me something about atmel making dc parts, I was gonna ask about acquiring some dc parts. I was wondering, tho, does anyone know if you can burn gd-roms in a cd-rw drive that's not a yamaha?

And I've heard of simialr stories about those large discs. My friend uses them to burn gigundus audio cd's, don't quite know what they are but the'yre not dvd's.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Napoleon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Napoleon »

Sony has a double density CD out that holds about 1.3 GB. Also TDK and Plextor have a 2GB CD that is suposed to be commercialy avabile shortly.
fsterman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Only to Sega

Post by fsterman »

Did Yamaha sign an exclusive contract to sell these only to Sega or did they sell/license anything that would alow people to make GD-Roms?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Sony has a double density CD out that holds about 1.3 GB. Also TDK and Plextor have a 2GB CD that is suposed to be commercialy avabile shortly.
Do those come in rw format? Cus i know you can mod a dc to read rw's, and if that'd work, you could have a rewriteable 2gb cd for your dreamcast. Think of the implications, and by that I of course mean the current dcdivx settings, and even the settings for the maxed pocket player. You could easily put 10 hours of movie onto a cd!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Napoleon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Napoleon »

Actually both technologies are too different, and are not backward compatible with regular CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs, which is why their future is so iffy...accept in an industry like radio station that don't want everyone to be able to run their discs. From what I've read neither have a RW version but thats not to say they won't be one in the future.