Half life mod for quake DC

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.

Would this be feasable?

Total votes: 0
ventress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half life mod for quake DC

Post by ventress »

Bit of an obscure idea but seeing as halflife runs on a modified quake1 engine would it be possible to adapt the paks from halflife to run on the DCquake engine??

If it would be possibel this would be a sweet way of finally getting the elusive halflife for dreamcast.

Any ideas about this or suggestions on modifying the maps and models?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Short answer: No

Long answer: Possible, in theory, but you would have to re-code the game itself in QuakeC, convert the models to Quake 1 MDL format (Half-life models have skeletal animation and better textures), Convert the levels (basically strip the coloured lighting), and it would STILL looke like a Quake mod. You could just make a Quake mod that is similar to Half-Life.
ventress
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ventress »

ok. thanks for the reply. just a thought i had while sipping coffee.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Even though Ventress already replied I'm going to add to this...

Black Aura is right...

Simple answer is NO

Long answer... Not without a ton of work.
Converting halflife models to Q1 is no easy task (I know from experiance) It would take me about 3hours per player model (maybe more) to do a good and propper conversion. Considering each and every model would need converted that would take weeks for a small team to do.

Converting halflife maps to Q1 is easy compaired to models... but requires some time and a little skill in a map editor. Hardest part is finding the leaks that appear during the conversion process.

Of course the textures for all the maps and models would need to be converted to the quake palette as well... Thats actually really simple... but just another part of the map and model conversion process.

I forget what type of quality of wav files halflife uses for its sound. If their not 8bit mono then they would have to me adjusted so they are.

Coding the mod in qc would not be too hard depending on how accurate you want it to be to halflife. Of course the more accurate you want it the harder it will be. And some features will be expecially difficult or impossible to simulate with quake (expecially with quakeDC)

Worst thing is... unless what your converting is an independant mod for halfife you would not me allowed to distribute it. That is... anything released by Valve or Gearbox (or any other commercial mod) would be illegal to convert and distribute. It would be best if the original mod's author gives the 'ok' on the conversion too...
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

I know this has been replied to twice already but oh well

Post by ace »

As much as i would love to see that it could not be done. you could make a mod of halflife for quakeDC but you could never make halflife because halflife is a mixture of Quake 1 and Quake 2 engines. sux doesn't it!

-dreamer
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

the best thing to do would be to make a mod for quake based around the half life levels, but it wouldnt really be half life and it would just be like every other mod out there. Plus i think there is a copyright issue.