Xbox and Halo playable ONLINE!! WOoHooo!!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SiliconJesus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SiliconJesus »

Well, seems that the Xbox scene is just starting. After my inital rantings about the Xbox not being all that the hype led it up to be...I must say that I cannot get myself away from Halo. Incredible game....very moody!! Now...the multiplayer will be playable over the internet thanks to these guys: http://www.xboxgw.com/

I am still hoping that they release the source soon rather than the RPM packages, as I run Slackware and rpm2tgz doesn't seem to do the trick :-) I have installed the dependencies I can think of that are required to dump eth0 into promiscuous mode (libpcap), and I anxiously await the source to compile for my box :-) Yeah...I know...the boot floppies. My linux box ain't got a working floppy drive.

PR#6
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Yeah, but are there many people playing?
SiliconJesus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Well...........

Post by SiliconJesus »

Actually, yes...a lot of people are starting to do it. Tony Hawk also works, as I imagine will most system link games. Even if the internet at large is not doing it....it is still nice to hook up with my friends that have Xboxen rather than have to bring them and several TV's together....or play in hideous split screen mode. I had loads of fun playing Duke Nukem with a direct dial to friends houses...this is no different :-)

PR#6
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

[quote=SiliconJesus]
I am still hoping that they release the source soon rather than the RPM packages, as I run Slackware and rpm2tgz doesn't seem to do the trick :-) I have installed the dependencies I can think of that are required to dump eth0 into promiscuous mode (libpcap), and I anxiously await the source to compile for my box :-) Yeah...I know...the boot floppies. My linux box ain't got a working floppy drive.
[/quote]

You shouldn't require libpcap to switch to promiscuous mode. It's a state of the NIC, simply by running "ifcfg ethx promisc". Pcap simply provides you the ability to grab frames from the network stack.
SiliconJesus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Doh!

Post by SiliconJesus »

Heheh, thanks Mr. Sanchez....may I call you Dirty?? I've still got a lot to learn :-) All the things I have seen that sniff packets in any way at all seemed to have required libpcap....so I guess I assumed it would be built using this library. Basically, I've changed gears recently to actually "learn" linux and/or BSD. Got myself away from the Mandrake, Suse, etc distributions...and installed Slack. If I have to set things up manually you can be sure that I may learn something along the way hehe. Last nights adventure was configuring my hardware clock to UTC and my zoneinfo to Eastern and geting my CD-RW to be an ide-scsi device so I could burn CD's. These are things that the Mandrake type distributions do for you....but definitely not Slack. Compiled a nice "greased turkey" kernel with th 2.4.16-pre1 patch, converted my filesystems all to ext3 (quite some time ago), yes.....that's right.....get down with my badself!! Now....if only I could get my damned imwheel working I would be happy. But man....on Slack...it's so nice to have an /etc directory that you can understand that makes absolute sense, rather than the propreitary ugly messy auto configure wizard scripts :-)

PR#6

P.S. If you know what PR#6 is...I'll give you a cookie :-)