I did it .... Quake with music

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Gooey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I did it .... Quake with music

Post by Gooey »

This worked for me anyway
All you need is to download these replacement files (new ip.bin and new midway 1.exe), replace your old ones with these) and, along with your other files for quakedc, put some audio tracks into the root (mine called track01.wav - track10.wav (not sure if other names would work)), then choose your favourite burning method, now you have quake with music :)
*edit* can't seem to upload to the boards, bugger.
Anyway I changed the ip.bin to allow access to media type cd-r 2/2, not gd-rom, and enabled vga support. And also changed the midway 1.exe from cd_enable 0, to cd_enable 1.
bkcomic
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by bkcomic »

Woah there.... sounds good... any way you could put those files on a webpage or ftp? Not quite sure how to change the midway.exe file (the ip.bin isn't so tough...) How big were your .wav files? And were they burnt as .wav files or .cda tracks? If it is burnt as .wav files, how does the DC manage to play the songs if they pass the 16 meg limit?
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

I stand corrected. (kinda) QuakeDC does support cd audio tracks... you just have to do some hex editing.

Im curious how good is the music quality and gameplay?

I'd think it would be nearly unplayable and/or the music would be jumpy. I think this because the game regularly loads data off the disc while playing. If it works at (near) 100% of the original QuakeDC (w/o CDDA) then I'll probibly make a disc.
Gooey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Gooey »

The music jumps everytime the cd is accessed, so you will have a good idea how well it plays by playing quakedc and noting how often it loads something. I would say comparible to pc quake 90-95%, not bad if you ask me.
About the webspace I ain't got any but I have a feeling the dumbass will do his own and put them up on his site for everyone :lol:
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Thanks for testing it out! I have sugested both things before (changing cd_enable to 1 and setting IP.BIN as CD-ROM) but I was very lazy to test it myself. Is the VGA support really required for this? And the audio should be burn as .wav files or audio tracks?

Thanks! ;)
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Now this is something worth burning, where can I snag those files!!!??
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

According to some PMs Gooey and I are exchanging... He is working on a guide on how to use the files (when he releases them)

I've given him a place to upload the files. (since you cant upload to the forums) Once their uploaded I'll move them over to QuakeDev and give the link to the file(s) here.

Until then you eather have to risk a disc or two and try your hand at hacking the midway_1.exe the way he did (and fix the IP.BIN) or just wait.

If he takes too long... I'll hack and release the files myself. But It'll be a few weeks before I get that impatient.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I look foward to trying it.
Gooey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Gooey »

I told a lie, you need to edit the midway 1.exe file a little more than above, (realised this while testing my guide)
the string is ?cd_enable.....0.....
change to +cd_enable.....1....

Also all audio tracks need to go in a sound directory, eg

/id1/pak0.pak, pak1.pak
/sound/track01.wav, etc
/wince/loadsa dlls
ip.bin
1st_read.bin
midway1.exe

If you ain't got a hex editor/can't be arsed they will be uploaded tuesday, when I have access to my own PC
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Out of interest, will this work with *any* WAVs, or is there some kind of file checking to see if they're the 'correct' Quake WAVs or not?

Because I'm pretty certain you could listen to your own music playing the original Quake on PC....
Gooey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Gooey »

if you don't have a k/board, you should call them track01, through to track10, (any songs you like),
if you have a k/board they can be called anything you like, (press S1 for the console, type play (name of track)
As long as you have a sound dirctory.
By the way, any one else tried or are you all waiting for my files ?
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

I have a keyboard so the names not the problem, I was just checking thered been nothing 'added' to check file sizes or whatever on the WAVs - and yeah, I'm waiting for your files..

HURRY UP ALREADY!!!! ;)
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Well Im waiting now because you've confused me.

So you rip the cdda of the original to .wav Then you put it in a sound directory on the cd. NOT record it to the cd as cdda? Thats weird!

Titanium must have changed the cdda code to read .wavs instead of cd audio.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

This is just great. Note the following: when you run a game that uses music from real audio tracks, and the game must read data from the CD, the music is stopped and restarts from the beginning after reading the data. So using .wav files instead the music will continue playing at the same point if it has stopped to read data. I think that this is what Titanium converted the CDDA audio to wave audio.

Other thing: by using .wav files we can record them as mono/22khz, what is good enough to the original quake music, and also saves a lot of space on the CD that can be used to put mods, the web browser, and more... :D

BUT... what REALLY makes me sad is that QuakeDC has NO dinamic lights... this just kills a lot of good weapons and mods that could be made... :cry:
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

/me wonders why Gooe isn't a DCEmu Respected...
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Well I've actually talked to Dr. Z about getting Gooey as a mod here in QuakeDev... But Dr. Z said no for a few reasons... (mostly things from the somewhat distant past in forum terms. Wont give details. Nothing particularly bad though.)

When the files and his related tutorial are released then I'm sure I'll be able to talk Dr. Z or one of the other admins into at least making him a "Respected QuakeDever" or something. The files would be avalible now if my webspace I had made avalible for him to upload them to wasn't messed up for some reason.

I had talked to Dr. Z about a few other possible people for new modship here. Too bad Fragger isn't on more. He really seems to know his quake!
(I'm watching for other potential mods. I cant be on all the time ya know ;) And the other mod is M.I.A. :roll: )

Also if I can get Gooey to be a "Respected QuakeDever" then I'll try and get Fragger to be one too. (Think someone already redid .:ajay:.'s so no need to ask for a special title for him)
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

so why not upload those files immedately and reload them into the quake files to download, etc... just upload them to a free place until you can at dcemu, a free place like tripod, etc...
Gooey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Gooey »

THE FILES ARE UPLOADED
I am hoping the dumbass (still sound like i'm taking the piss outta him, no matter how many times I type/read it) will sort out the rough guide I made, then host them on the dcdev site, so a little longer wait :( , but it is worth it, there are replacement ip.bin with vga support, and midway_1.exe, and a complete selfboot kit for quake,
Well I've actually talked to Dr. Z about getting Gooey as a mod here in QuakeDev... But Dr. Z said no for a few reasons... (mostly things from the somewhat distant past in forum terms. Wont give details. Nothing particularly bad though.)
Nothing to do with my comments in the old bleem! forums is it ?

[/quote]
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by radish28 »

why dont you provide links?
radish28
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu