What does everyone do for work?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: What does everyone do for work?

Post by cube_b3 »

Eviltaco64X wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:39 pm Last year when COVID lockdowns were still red light/green light/on-again/off-again and computer parts were really overpriced, I bought a lot of precision tools and soldering equipment and started fixing lots of broken electronics: consoles, optical drives/mechanical assemblies, drop-damage laptops, PCBs, etc. I live within walking distance of a post office and a store that sells basic shipping supplies, so I started selling some of the things that were fixed or restored online to buy more broken stuff to fix. I did small-scale consumer IT in my local area on the side and started gaining regular customers from referrals. This mix of things turned into a small business with a lot of work, very demanding hours, and tight margins. Last year, I got really close to signing a minimum 3-year lease and taking over a shop space, but some others had eyes on it, started outbidding each other, and went way over what I could risk. Earlier this year I lucked into an enterprise IT job with a fintech company. It pays a lot more and the workload is a lot less intense, so I'm happy.
That's really cool, thanks for sharing.