Current generation Rockstar games

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Current generation Rockstar games

Post by ace »

Are there still folks here who prefer the earlier (pre-GTA IV, post 3D era) Rockstar titles like Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas?

I remember there being some debates when GTA IV was announced/released. Having played it, all of it's DLC as well as Red Dead Redemption, then recently going back and playing some of the older titles, well, I guess I just need some convincing why I loved them so much in the past, and why the heck people still prefer them.

Right from the outset the camera becomes an issue. Obviously in the 2D games, a non-user definable fixed angle view makes sense. But why the fuck am I still stuck with a fixed camera in GTA 3 and VC?! Being attacked from behind is suddenly a huge ordeal because you need dodge bullets you can't see, turn your whole character around (instead of just the view) then PRAY auto target is on the right guy. Somehow I remember this being fixed by SA (which is why I played it last), and while it's certainly better, th view still "springs" making high speed maneuvers and drive-bys more difficult than they need be. I mean, these games ran on Renderware. The Tony Hawk series did too, and it had one of the best game cameras of it's time, IMO.

The voicework, particularly In GTA SA sounds low quality and as though some of the actors phone their lines in, which they probably did. Sure they got big names
Like Michael Rappaport and Samuel L Jackson, but they relatively unknown actors in the new games sound so much more authentic.

I won't bother comparing graphics, because it just isn't fair, but I do have to note that I'm still frequently awe struck by GTA IV and especially RED Dead Redemption.

It's not all bad I suppose - there are some aspects I Prefer from the earlier games. The PC had less "momentum" in the older games. They felt lighter, less bound by conventional physics. It made things like running away from enemies much easier - stop to running instantly. The newer titles are certainly more realistic, but I think a balance needs to be struck between the two. Realistic physics are great, but when it means the AI gets to pump four slugs in me before I can even get up to running speeds, it's just not as fun. The same goes for running from cops in GTA IV. I'm not saying it's difficult, but it's definitely easier in the older games.

I don't know, I'll always love the older games for what they were. But I wonder if its just wanderlust, rose colored glasses, whatever.
Specially Cork

Re: Current generation Rockstar games

Post by Specially Cork »

It's difficult. GTA IV is an epic milestone in gaming, a huge cinematic open-world experience that does nothing but reflect the huge pool of talent that helped create it, taking the player through a fantastically-detailed city while delivering a well-written narrative told through great characters. I enjoyed my time with it, but the vastly inferior Saints Row III entertained me much more.

GTA IV lost its sense of fun. Go run someone over in SR3 and they go flying through the air like a ragdoll. It's amusing. In GTA IV they crumple in a heap on the floor like a real corpse. While I don't feel guilty about it, it's not satisfying mayhem. Shooting civillians as they curl up on the floor, clutch their limbs and whail in agony while begging you to stop is nowhere near as fun as watching them fly across the screen in a storm of blood and human meat.

A nice cinematic crime game is fine, but I think it's wasted in an open world setting where the options for fun are too numerous. I'd really like to see Rockstar having some fun with the next installment.

RDR followed the same sort of thing, but I think it gets away with it due to the lack of wild-west games out there.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

ace wrote:it had one of the eBay game cameras of it's time, IMO.
:mrgreen:

Anyway, I agree. It may be a catchphrase, but realism is overrated. When developers tries to make the core of the game feel as real as possible, they're actually making a simulator - and this defeats one of the points of gaming, which is to allow for us to do things that we aren't able to in real life, like instantly going from a full stop to running.

In my opinion, games should only simulate what's needed to reveal the desired context of the game's actions to the user. In this view, realism and simulation are just tools to get a point across - and therefore, trying to do more than that is pointless.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Did you play Red Dead Redemption?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I just picked up Red Dead Redemption recently and it's amazing. I've enjoyed it more-so than any other Rockstar game. I'm hoping they'll make a sequel to Bully however, my other favorite Rockstar game.

GTA is alright but each game has just enough annoyances to prevent me from really enjoying them. I have yet to complete any GTA game, though I came closest with Vice City. RDR and Bully seem to get everything right for me.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

BoneyCork wrote:It's difficult. GTA IV is an epic milestone in gaming, a huge cinematic open-world experience that does nothing but reflect the huge pool of talent that helped create it, taking the player through a fantastically-detailed city while delivering a well-written narrative told through great characters. I enjoyed my time with it, but the vastly inferior Saints Row III entertained me much more.

GTA IV lost its sense of fun. Go run someone over in SR3 and they go flying through the air like a ragdoll. It's amusing. In GTA IV they crumple in a heap on the floor like a real corpse. While I don't feel guilty about it, it's not satisfying mayhem. Shooting civillians as they curl up on the floor, clutch their limbs and whail in agony while begging you to stop is nowhere near as fun as watching them fly across the screen in a storm of blood and human meat.
I too had much more fun with Saints Row 2 (3 isnt out yet, silly) despite it just seeming like a complete rip off of San Andreas. I want fun in my video games, GTA4 doesnt offer very much fun at all compared to its predecessors.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

ace wrote:Did you play Red Dead Redemption?
No. I've been quite out of the loop.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I still remember the day I lost it with GTA4. I was on my way to take-up a story mission, crossing the bridge. I got 4 calls from 4 different people asking me to hang out or date them. Pissed at being interrupted, I declined them all, only to see that little message telling me my friendship rating is down.

Yes you can ignore my network of contacts in this sandbox game - but we'll punish you just a little and make you feel bad every time.

There's a point where things can get too realistic, and GTA4 just crossed that line right there.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Luriden wrote:I just picked up Red Dead Redemption recently and it's amazing. I've enjoyed it more-so than any other Rockstar game. I'm hoping they'll make a sequel to Bully however, my other favorite Rockstar game.

GTA is alright but each game has just enough annoyances to prevent me from really enjoying them. I have yet to complete any GTA game, though I came closest with Vice City. RDR and Bully seem to get everything right for me.
Yeh Bully was okay. I bought it pretty much because I didn't know of an other decent ops world games For Wii. I got about two thirds through a few years back On my first playthrough. I restarted it again recently and while it doesn't have the dame grab on me it did the first time, it's still pretty fun.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

ace wrote:
Luriden wrote:I just picked up Red Dead Redemption recently and it's amazing. I've enjoyed it more-so than any other Rockstar game. I'm hoping they'll make a sequel to Bully however, my other favorite Rockstar game.

Yeh Bully was okay. I bought it pretty much because I didn't know of an other decent ops world games For Wii. I got about two thirds through a few years back On my first playthrough. I restarted it again recently and while it doesn't have the dame grab on me it did the first time, it's still pretty fun.
Off topic, but are you posting all your posts on an iPad or iPhone? Because all your posts have these little errors that smells of overactive autocorrect.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I persevered with RDD, I genuinely did but it is really fucking boring. All Rockstar games are exactly the same, Bully's redeeming feature was the novel setting and humour.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Hasney wrote:LA Noire though... Wow. As a huge fan of Phoenix Wright, you have no idea how this game is for me. Throw in some action to break it up with amazing writing and total across the board perfect performances and you have a game that actually leaves me speechless.

Cruise around town with your partner, get some good banter and maybe even pick up some side-missions. The side-missions are quick 10 minute action blasts and are fun, good to level up too.

In the main case though, it's slow paced to start with. Pick up and examine evidence done by just walking over and pressing A then moving the item around. Interrogations where you have to read the person and accept they're telling the truth, tell them they're lying with evidence or doubt them, which is accusing them of lying without evidence.

Then there's parkour chase scenes jumping around to tackle or subdue a perp. It does need things like that, shootings and car chases to break the game up and it does it perfectly. You can even fail cases and move on to the next with some consequences. Almost everything is perfectly executed with ridiculous polish.

It's a proper mature game and I mean that in the sense that everything that's there in a bloody or disturbing way is artistically justified and helps the game, unlike something like Manhunt which is edgy for edgy's sake. You will be dealing with some sick fucks.

If you've got both consoles, get the PS3. It was the lead platform and there is some very minor but occasionally noticeable pop-up in the 360. The only other issue I've had is that the animation can get in the way of some of the chase scenes. It's only very rare it happens, but it sucks when it does.

It's going to take something very special to be better than this as my GOTY. Hell, it might be my new favourite of all time. They say it has no replay value but trust me, like a good movie on DVD, you will want to keep this and play it again at some other time. Everything holds up. Amazing.
How do you have both versions of the game 4 days before European release?

I also heard you sold your PS3, and were happy to be Sony-free.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

That's twice I've busted you for warez this year Hasney :P

Aaaanyway. I'm not a fan of Phoenix Wright - I felt everything was too limited (i.e. there was only ever one way to make progress in an investigation). I was hoping LA Noire would offer something more...does it?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Wish they would release their games on PC alongside console releases. I'm considering buying a new Xbox 360 just to play this game.

The reviews weren't as glowing as past efforts, but they do seem to be universally good.

I love the 1940's LA film noire setting, and every video I've seen of MotionScan looks incredible; cinematic even, much more so than previous games, and I truly thought Red Dead Redemption was the pinnacle of video game cinema (also, Mass Effect 2.)

I've actually not heard much on it's multiplayer component, can you elaborate?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Well the "ask the audience" or whatever won't work until the game is officially released.