Book Recommendations

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Book Recommendations

Post by Specially Cork »

I enjoy reading, and after a period of not much of it due to living in China I'm finally rediscovering this pleasure through my iPad. While I'm not really short of books to read, I thought I may as well come on here to ask what you guys like. My favourite authors range from Jorge Luis Borges to Terry Pratchett, so I'm open to pretty much anything. Just fiction only please.

Thanks boyos.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by Quzar »

I recommend anything by Twain. I have a set of his complete works and never fail to be interested by them. Heinlein is great if you're into speculative type Sci-Fi. His short stories and novels create a single coherent universe and timeline that is quite fun.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The Bible, by Jesus
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:The Bible, by Jesus
Actually tried reading it once. If any Christian wants to convert me away from my atheist views the first thing they could try doing is making their holy book cohesive and readable.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BoneyCork wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:The Bible, by Jesus
Actually tried reading it once. If any Christian wants to convert me away from my atheist views the first thing they could try doing is making their holy book cohesive and readable.

Of course the word of God would seem incohesive and unreadable to a mere mortal. Use your head.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Let's see... here's a short list of suggestions:

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
anything by Kurt Vonnegut
Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov
Methuselah's Children by Robert A. Heinlein
Harry Turtledove writes some interesting "alternative history" novels
...and since you like Terry Pratchett, you'll probably also enjoy Neil Gaiman. Good starting points are American Gods, Stardust, and The Graveyard Book.
Good Omens (a collaboration between Pratchett and Gaiman) is also a fun book, if you haven't read it yet; it reminds me a lot of the Dirk Gently books by Douglas Adams.

If you're looking for something more epic (and have some patience for getting started), I'd recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin, or the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I read a lot of books when I was in China. My favorite was A Fine Balance. That means you should read it too. Plus it was on Oprah's book list so it's super awesome.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Ive been reading the House of Night series on my nook and am reading the second one betraye right now.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I recently bought a hardback all-in-one edition of all of the Hitchhiker's Guide novels. I've only read the first and second, but that was nearly ten years ago. Almost through the first one right now, and loving every moment of it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I recently bought a hardback all-in-one edition of all of the Hitchhiker's Guide novels. I've only read the first and second, but that was nearly ten years ago. Almost through the first one right now, and loving every moment of it.
Oh, I've got that! I've read all five at least twice each, and my favorite is still Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

If you've never read 1984 give it a read, it's well worth anyone's time.
I'm not a big novel reader but could give some good advice on not shit graphic novels
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

1984 is one of my favorites. I can second that.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

So what did you end up choosing?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Hey-ho.

I've read HGTTG before and loved it, got into it via the terrible movie version.

I've got a copy of Twain's "Innocents Abroad" on my toilet along with Boswell's London Journal for some dip-in-and-out taking-a-shit reading.

I was going to start The Wheel of Time series because it's been recommended to me before, but there's a lot of very long books in that series so it kinda scared me off. It also seemed to be more medieval-focused, which isn't really my cup of tea.

So I picked...A Fine Balance for now. Very interesting insight into Indian culture and the associated horrors.

After that, 1984. I also have "The Last Wish" (The Witcher) and the His Dark Materials trilogy.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I'm a huge fan of late Victorian classics. From about 1860-1900 there was just an insane explosion of great adventure, mystery, science fiction, and horror novels. (Something that Alan Moore picked up on to create the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

Dracula, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, Treasure Island, War Of The Worlds, 20000 Leagues Under The Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Time Machine, Sherlock Holmes, and The Lost World, are all must-read books that came from that era and movement. Dracula is my favorite novel of all time, and despite there being dozens of film adaptations none of them come remotely close to the magnificence of the book.

For something a little more contemporary, Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors. His short story collections are amazingly deranged and hilarious.

Personally the next authors on my plate are HP Lovecraft and Robert Howard.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

impetus wrote:20000 Leagues Under The Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Time Machine, 20000 Leagues Under The Sea,
Is there two?
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

DanteJay wrote:
impetus wrote:20000 Leagues Under The Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Time Machine, 20000 Leagues Under The Sea,
Is there two?
I don't know, are there? 8-)

Copy/paste error - was putting all the Verne books together and forgot to delete the extra text.