Wii Virtual Console Releases Thread

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

neutopia for the turbografx 16 will be coming soon apparently, that is the biggest zelda clone ive ever seen (mind you i havent seen many turbografx 16 games).
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Yeah, I've read good things about Neutopia. Btw, the title is a play of words: 'Neu' is German and means 'New', so it'd be something like "New-Utopia".
DaMadFiddler wrote:Here's Crusader of Centy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1tiyzAKKKw

The writing isn't very good, but the gameplay is like Zelda except with the more developed world / more plentiful NPCs of a more serious RPG effort.
The British PAL version ("Soleil") is said to be the better English version of Ragnacenty. I've read somewhere that they took the US version and fixed large parts of the script. Anyway, Crusader of Centy be worth the download.
Insane homebrew collector.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

It seems to me that Crusader of Centy is a much more evolved game than Neutopia. In terms of Zelda (since, after all, we're talking Zelda clones), Crusader of Centy has a more developed world, story and gameplay interface like Link to the Past, whereas Neutopia and Golden Axe Warrior are more comparable to the NES original.

Also along those lines, Elemental Gimmick Gear is kind of neat...though not quite so directly a Zelda rip-off as the others.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Neutopia is a complete zelda rip off. The dungeons are TOO MUCH like a zelda title and the On screen display at the top of the screen is basically the same as zelda. WTF is up with that. However I did like neutopia when I first played it through emulation would have been a better game if it didn't intentionally rip off zelda.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Euro releases:

Mighty Bomb Jack :|
Final Fight :mrgreen:
Battle Lode Runner :|
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Euro releases:

Is it just the cody version?
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:It seems to me that Crusader of Centy is a much more evolved game than Neutopia. In terms of Zelda (since, after all, we're talking Zelda clones), Crusader of Centy has a more developed world, story and gameplay interface like Link to the Past, whereas Neutopia and Golden Axe Warrior are more comparable to the NES original.

Also along those lines, Elemental Gimmick Gear is kind of neat...though not quite so directly a Zelda rip-off as the others.
Crusader of Centy was one of a handful of Genesis/Megadrive games I'd been planning to buy but I decided were too expensive (I went through and checked out almost every US-released, and even some Japan exclusive, Genesis titles, and bought like 50 of them a few years ago). Still hasn't changed, cartridge wise. Looks like $20 + shipping is still the minimum. Too bad.

Streets of Rage 3 or Bare Knuckle 3, Alien Soldier, Shining Force (I got lucky on Shining Force 2, $8) and a couple of the rarer strategy Genesis games (it has more than most realize) were the others. I did plunk down $50 on the Treasure Yu Yu Hakusho fighter, but that was an exceptional case.. Normally, $15 is my limit on classic titles, except on games I've played before and love.

I can't buy the ROM of a game I want to own on cart. It just ain't right. :lol:

Still, nice to see they're adding rarer, lesser known gems to the VC.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:It seems to me that Crusader of Centy is a much more evolved game than Neutopia. In terms of Zelda (since, after all, we're talking Zelda clones), Crusader of Centy has a more developed world, story and gameplay interface like Link to the Past, whereas Neutopia and Golden Axe Warrior are more comparable to the NES original.

Crusader of Centy was one of a handful of Genesis/Megadrive games I'd been planning to buy but I decided were too expensive (I went through and checked out almost every US-released, and even some Japan exclusive, Genesis titles, and bought like 50 of them a few years ago). Still hasn't changed, cartridge wise. Looks like $20 + shipping is still the minimum. Too bad.

Streets of Rage 3 or Bare Knuckle 3, Alien Soldier, Shining Force (I got lucky on Shining Force 2, $8) and a couple of the rarer strategy Genesis games (it has more than most realize) were the others. I did plunk down $50 on the Treasure Yu Yu Hakusho fighter, but that was an exceptional case.. Normally, $15 is my limit on classic titles, except on games I've played before and love.

I can't buy the ROM of a game I want to own on cart. It just ain't right. :lol:

Still, nice to see they're adding rarer, lesser known gems to the VC.
I'm trying to consolidate my stuff to one console and one handheld. Housing is incredibly expensive in my area, and I have a pretty small apartment. The Virtual Console concept is great for me, especially since this is the first time I've actually owned a lot of these games "legitimately" ;)

In fact, one of my favorite VC purchases--Soldier Blade--I only know about because I was looking for games to test out a TG-16 emulator, and didn't know of any except the Bonk games and DracX. Soldier Blade was a random find on a ROM site. I gues I just had a really lucky click :D
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

US releases for 4/30

The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon - SNES
Castlevania - NES
Shockman - TG16
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Dew wrote:US releases for 4/30

The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon - SNES

Im been looking for that game for years.....
i remember playing that game a lot whit a neigbor,
the carnival stage (i think stage 4 ) it was one of the coolest.....
a lot of mini games................
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Looks like a good day overall.

I'd rather have Castlevania 3, but I'm sure that comment's beating a dead horse by now. (Insert worn-out comment pining for DracX). I actually spent much of the weekend playing 4, and I'm on the last level now. CV4 always struck me as easier than the others, because of both the more flexible controls and the fact that fewer enemies seem to rely on randomized generation, but the last few levels are still quite a challenge.

I knew someone in college who was obsessed with Mystical Ninja, but I've only ever seen the N64 version. How is it?
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I have fond memories of the SNES Mystical Ninja from when I was a kid. My brother and I would rent it and finish it in an afternoon. I play it now and it just doesn't have that flair or whatever for me anymore. It is a good game, and supposedly the original cartridge sells pretty high on ebay, but I don't think I'll be getting it on virtual console anytime soon.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

DaMadFiddler wrote: I'd rather have Castlevania 3, but I'm sure that comment's beating a dead horse by now. (Insert worn-out comment pining for DracX). I actually spent much of the weekend playing 4, and I'm on the last level now. CV4 always struck me as easier than the others, because of both the more flexible controls and the fact that fewer enemies seem to rely on randomized generation, but the last few levels are still quite a challenge.
Ditto. I soooo want CV3, but I do love the first one for NES, as well as SCV4. One day in college I skipped all my classes to play 4. I completed it three times consecutively...without dying. When I downloaded it for VC, I got all the way to Stage B before I died...stupid ascending platforms :x
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Matisfaction wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Euro releases:

Is it just the cody version?
Yup. I wouldn't recommend this, other than it and Super Mario World were the first SNES games I ever bought, so I have a fondness for it.

Mystical Ninja is as good as you remember it btw USers.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Annoyed.

I have three WaveBirds, so I decided to pass on the Classic Controller (which has some design quirks I'm not too fond of, anyway). Besides, everything except SNES and N64 can be played with the remote, and the '64 maps well to the GameCube controller...and more comfortably than the Classic Controller, in my opinion.

However, it frustrates me that Nintendo mapped SNES controls by button name rather than position, as the SNES layout is rotated about 90 degress from that of the 'Cube. It's further frustrating that the Virtual Console doesn't have top-level button reassignment. This makes most games (in my case, Donkey Kong Country and Contra) very difficult to play; I have to put my right hand in a hook position, and hit the B and X/Y buttons with my thumb and index finger, respectively. Thankfully, CV4 lets you change the controls...but only because the actual game supported this.

I'm not sure whether this is an oversight, an attempt to keep things "sleek" and uncluttered, or an intentional "oversight" to push people toward purchasing the Classic Controller. In any case, it's very frustrating. I wrote to Customer Service about it, and I don't think I'll be snagging any more SNES games for a while.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

On a happier note, I just took a peek at the Wikipedia entry detailing announced VC games. Here are the ones that I'm considering (assuming, of course, the SNES controls get worked out...):

NES
Duck Hunt

SNES
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (yeah, yeah, I know...)
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Genesis
Kid Chameleon
Streets of Rage 2
Ghouls'n'Ghosts (I have the SNES version for GBA, but the Genesis one is different)

TG-16
Bonk 3

...Of course, there are still several titles I'm *hoping* they'll decide to introduce...and there are zero N64 games that have been announced. (Where's my Rayman 2?!!) It's also surprising that they're choosing to release the original Pilotwings rather than Pilotwings 64...the original was great in its day, but it's hopelessly dated now.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

couldnt help but notice you left out kirby super star for the snes, tisk tisk tisk.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mrandyk wrote:couldnt help but notice you left out kirby super star for the snes, tisk tisk tisk.
Wasn't that one sort of a minigame collection?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am tempted to make a purchase actually. The original Castlevania was a decent title and I wouldn't mind have punchout. Still it kills me to pay $5 plus tax when I have punchout sitting right in my closest. However I am too lazy to fool with writing down codes or fighting with the blinking light etc. Plus you have the room factor.

I also have gotten used to wireless controllers. My living room is sooo much cleaner since I don't have 3 systems with wires wadded up everywhere.

I know I used to have a decent time playing the first Castlevania game but I get the feeling now I will probably find it too hard and just get pissed and bitch about it a lot. If it was Castlevania 2 or 3 Id jump all over it though. It was my least favorite of all the older Castlevania games.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I also have gotten used to wireless controllers.
Just curious, by that statement to me it implies there was a time where you weren't used to wireless controllers. Can you explain why? Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my Wavebird, Wiimote and 360 controller. The only reason I don't have them for PS2 is because I don't play it often enough to justify having wireless controllers, plus it's my girlfriends console and not mine.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800