Finally

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alexvrb »

Ack, maybe it was safer when the guide wasn't understandable. This really isn't for beginners.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

i dont think its THAT hard, but it does take some common sense (like READING) and it is better you get some other mods under your belt first before attempting this.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

If you've read it, you got all the tools ready, you understand it and you can solder quite well...I can't see it being hard atall
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

It also helps to have a broken dc mobo to practice on.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Vchat20 wrote:note: noobs need not apply. ;)
Well, we are only noobs until we learn how. Then we are not noobs. So, in effect, noobs need experienced people so they won't be noobs :P .

SO, HOW do I remove the cover from the CPU?
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

like i said in my above post. get some other, more easier mods under your belt first and then you should have the knowledge and experience to do this mod without someone holding your hand through the whole process.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Get a soldering iron and multimeter. Practice doing some mods for a month or so. After that you should be able to do it.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

I DO do mods. This is simply my first overclocking procedure. My DC has an external fan, a blue LED, and an internal VGA switch. I simply would like to clarify as to how to remove the cover from the CPU.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

ummm... just lift it off (take off the psu, controller board, and gdrom and lift it off.)
wont u be my friend?
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

Morphv2 wrote:I DO do mods. This is simply my first overclocking procedure. My DC has an external fan, a blue LED, and an internal VGA switch. I simply would like to clarify as to how to remove the cover from the CPU.

heh, you said "do do".
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

I already know how to access the motherboard, but the CPU chip still has the black plastic casing over it and its like frikkin superglued to it. :x
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

black plastic casing? does it happen to say Super H on it?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

ROFL...

just... just ROFFLES!

This is why we shouldn't let people get ahold of these guides unless they sign a disclaimer and mail it in. I mean do half the people who do this stuff really understand what they're doing, and what it might imply for their DC?
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

This is why we shouldn't let people get ahold of these guides unless they sign a disclaimer and mail it in. I mean do half the people who do this stuff really understand what they're doing, and what it might imply for their DC?
Sometimes I very much doubt it
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Looks kinda cool Ima order oen and buy me some new dreamcasts this weekend.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

This looks like a good cooling solution for people who want to go up and beyond 240mhz.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tId=123014

I don't see how it would work, it doesn't appear to have any moving parts. I can't get the datasheet to load either. Its an active device that will cool down to -30C depending on outside temperature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Pyrosurfer wrote:This looks like a good cooling solution for people who want to go up and beyond 240mhz.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tId=123014

I don't see how it would work, it doesn't appear to have any moving parts. I can't get the datasheet to load either. Its an active device that will cool down to -30C depending on outside temperature.
That won't work. The other side gets EXTREMELY hot. They are mainly used in water-cooled systems.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Ah, I see, makes sense. I once did a chem project that did the opposite, took hot and cold water and made an electrical current.

Found a 486 heatsink like matt was talking about, https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tId=120913
They're pretty cheap, might get 2 of them to put on top of the heat spreader (if you guys think it would help).

EDIT: From the dimensions it doesn't look like it would help much.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Yes, thermoelectric aka Peltier cooling solutions are not at ALL appropriate. The one side is cold, but the other side gets very hot, so you need something to pull the heat off, and fast. Like a highend copper and heatpipe solution, or watercooling, or better. All depending on how powerful a peltier you buy and what you're cooling. None of that will fit into a DC or is really useful anyway. After all, you're going to run into core limits much sooner than you run into heat problems with any sort of advanced cooling regardless.

I'd start looking at 1U copper solutions. Maybe without a fan, and you just ensure adequate ventilation via an intake by the PSU and an exhaust fan (which you already have, and could possibly replace with a larger fan). If the heatsink itself has a fan, now you're looking at having to figure out the the heck the air is going to move and how you get it out of the case efficiently (without major blockage or contested airflow).
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I talekd to the author of the english guide I am goign to try to achve speeds of 300mhz.He thinks it mght be possible with TEC's.SO I am going to order some 50quartz and get a few dc build a new case and super cool the fudger.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God