The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

displays lots of errors? I'm using 4.3 (I think.. the one that included the mod menu) and so far it plays TAoV perfectly aside from crashing at menu.bsp which I may of fixed (I have to burn another multi session to test first) but otherwise I can load a map at the title screen and the actual levels load up and play fine.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Sorry for the misinformation.
I have to say i put the contents of \Medieval in a siangle pak0.pak. What works in winquake.
And i'm using OpenQuartz files repacked in a pak1.pak plus shareware quake's pak0.pak in the \id1 folder.
The error say something about the waves being stereo. I need to see once more to make sure.

BTW, when we'll have another TAoV release? You're so quiet, planing something funny?
Have you tweaked the wall jump? You could inspire yourself in Megaman X. That wall jump an so.

Cheers
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Ok new release ..

- Fixed up menu sprites so they're dimensions of 2, this means menu.bsp now loads and works on Dreamcast.
- A bunch of new sound effects for monsters, I got tired of hearing regular quake sounds; almost all quake sound effects are replaced.
- Tweaked the Wall Jump, it allows Vigil to jump higher and farther & The Wall Jump Kick has been tweaked so it's easier to aim and always moves forward (older one would eventually slow down..)
- Completely recoded the physics for smacking enemies around
- Completely recoded the way air combos work, it's now smoother and works overall better (This change and the one above haven't affected gameplay that much..)
- Found a bug that a person can take advantage of to have infinite lives. When you're dead and Vigil hasn't landed on the ground the user can backflip out of it in mid-air and remain in an undead state similar to the corpse bug, fixed! :)
- Rewrote some of the fireball spells code, it's perfect now.
- Improved Monster AI, they can also all run now!
- Another AI improvement now gives monsters magic attacks as demonstrated by the Hell Knight. He's now a completely done monster!
- The Ascension of Vigil now has a final score displayed when you finally hit game over :)
- More attractive game over text
- Vigil destroyer now contains shadows and a major rehaul!
- New console background (temporary?)
- New sword whipping sound on Vigil's 3rd attack for his Vigil Slice Special, very nice imo
- Monster's are now able to jump off ledges after you! (ON by default, can be changed by the mapper) automatically. the castle level is a good example of it in action!
- The ice cubes that the ice field spell creates over enemies look better

Lotsa tweaks not documented..
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Well, little to say here.
Your mod works perfectly. I coud see no great bugs.
The problem now are just because the quake engine itself. The weird camera when vigil die with 0hp, some places where he slips from the ground (ramps).
I liked the new sounds a lot. The dogs and the level up sound are the best.

Now i come to think, and if you have a place on the HUD to display the current level? It's possible?

And the village map, realy sorry, i coudn't go back to it this days. But i still want to tweak it a lot.

And... the enemy department, are you planing to add anymore enemies? I was thinking in a gargoile beast, after i've the Imp from Hexen 2 and one whose name i forgot in Omen 2 (quake mod).
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Found a bug -> Enemies jump on stairs repeatedly, I'm now doing a better method of checking if a jump is okay or not ...

I've never gotten the 0 HP screen tilt, ground slippage isn't that big of a deal imo..
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote: Found a bug -> Enemies jump on stairs repeatedly, I'm now doing a better method of checking if a jump is okay or not ...
map01.bsp, when the hell knight go down the step (left) and Vigil stays on the higher part (right). I just saw that.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I have released the first patch for TAoV. :P
This replaces the ledge checking code for jumping with a completely new forumla I thought up. You'll no longer see monsters jump at stairs, at walls, down stairs, up stairs or anything else that's considered to be stupid. This new formula is pretty darn powerful if taken advantage of - I'd even call it the best jumping AI ever coded in Quake; I'm quite proud of it.

Monster deaths are a lot sweeter looking, tell me if you like it!

http://circa1984.com/renegade/renonly/MedievalPatch.rar

Extract normally, overwriting the progs.dat - also contains 1 new sound effect :)

[edit] Forgot to mention, I fixed the slowdown effect on leveling up for different framerates... the odd time the slowdown effect would hardly play
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Ok I played a ton of TAoV on Dreamcast and I've found out that sometimes you'll accidently spin attack when starting an air combo - I've fixed this by only allowing Vigil to spin attack while he's falling down from his jump; it works perfectly. The next version will also support doors that rise/lower and can be triggered by monsters.

The Castle Map is now a lot harder with tons of monsters coming at you at once (since it IS level 6..), also there's a baron guarding the entrance and when killed the castle gates rise, very nice. :)

Expect destructable scenery also.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Tyne wrote:Ok I played a ton of TAoV on Dreamcast and I've found out that sometimes you'll accidently spin attack when starting an air combo - I've fixed this by only allowing Vigil to spin attack while he's falling down from his jump; it works perfectly. The next version will also support doors that rise/lower and can be triggered by monsters.

The Castle Map is now a lot harder with tons of monsters coming at you at once (since it IS level 6..), also there's a baron guarding the entrance and when killed the castle gates rise, very nice. :)

Expect destructable scenery also.
WOW!
You made The Castle indeed a neat map eh?
Thanks for including it in the main idea. I realy never thought it would be good enough to be official :D
I'm waiting ansiously for the next release to finaly see what you made for The Castle.
Now you have 2 maps: Wilderness and The Castle. Wish i could implement The Village... I think i lost the creativity for it :(
I'll contact you if i get it to look better.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Heh, and now TAoV has support for more monsters on the screen. I've had up to 10 at once and there were no problems in regular Winquake, before if you hit too many monsters at once it'd crash since it was spawning too many entities (this can be considered a huge optimization). The max amount of hit animation sprites and blood sprites is now capped at 5 - but don't worry it still looks good; as the sprite is removed others are able to be created (in other words, you'll hardly notice the change...).

Fighting 10 monsters at once is damn cool, not only is Vigil quite capable of defeating them all but you can obtain some huge combo scores! I've gotten up to 75 myself, no spells involved.

Fighting up to 5 enemies at once without any Quake Engine problems

Now to fix monsters not jumping off ledges in Darkplaces (argh).

[edit]: expect working difficulty levels in the next version, I played it on Dreamcast in the castle level on Hard difficulty ... got my ass kicked; however I kicked ass on Easy difficulty. :P
malak
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by malak »

hey tyne, it's malak. i registered. ;D

you're never on aim these days so hurry up and come back to life.

on a relevent note, i was playing taov today and the hell hound thing in the first level was invincible after a bit of fighting. no matter how quick or where i was, or even if i used magic, i couldn't hurt it. :(
blackgoldfish.com
coming soon
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

malak wrote:hey tyne, it's malak. i registered. ;D

you're never on aim these days so hurry up and come back to life.

on a relevent note, i was playing taov today and the hell hound thing in the first level was invincible after a bit of fighting. no matter how quick or where i was, or even if i used magic, i couldn't hurt it. :(
Malak! :D
Hmm I've encountered that bug once before, are you using the latest version? It seems to be pretty flawless. Oh well, a new version shall be released shortly.
UberJim
UberBootCreator
UberBootCreator

Post by UberJim »

Anyone have any luck getting this to run with QuakeX on the Xbox?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

UberJim wrote:Anyone have any luck getting this to run with QuakeX on the Xbox?
I'm pretty sure it'll work, if it works on Dreamcast; it should work even better on XBox. TheDumbAss could help you out getting it to work since he's into that scene now!

By the way, new version soon.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Okay another new release! Tons of stuff to document:

- New destructable scenery (barrels), breaking them gives a tiny bit of experience; it also makes a cool sound and they're fun to head smash.
- Air combo system has been tweaked heavily, once you're in an air combo Vigil is locked on the Y axis; this means you don't have to worry about realigning Vigil during an air combo. Another change is that after doing the Uppercut Thrust in midair it flows into the head smash attack a lot better and easier.
- Dreamcast users no longer have to worry about accidently spin attacking when starting an air combo
- Tweaked backflipping, it's now a bit more sensitive and backflipping out of pain frames is more faithful.
- The biggest upgrade: A completely new armor system! Vigil now starts in leather armor, every 3 armor shards he gains his armor upgrades, his appearence changes, he takes less damage, and he doesn't sit in his pain frames as long. The armors are Leather -> Chain -> Steel -> Plate... you're going to have to fight Hellknights in order to gain armor upgrades though. ;)
- More ingame features, if a monster dies it's able to trigger events (shown in castle.bsp when killing the Baron opens the door)
- New/updated graphics, and sounds and scenery objects
- Updated maps! Map01 no longer has the gray void bug, and castle.bsp has been modified
- Difficulty skills have been added into the game. On hard skill enemies attack immediately and gain a 50% health boost, only for the hardcore players!
- AI has been upgraded, jumping is even better then before and now monsters will stand still randomly, they also do not attack every chance they get - unless it's on hard
- head smash value tweak: Vigil's head smash became 5 points weaker, he also needs a split second more time to recover from it (this removes the constant head smash cheapness players can perform)
- Added rising doors
- Vigil's kick now successfully pushes enemies away from him every time, sometimes it wouldn't work

Overall this version is easily my favorite as I've been tweaking it to perfection, adding many new features - The Ascension of Vigil is easily becoming commercial game quality; I highly recommend playing this version compared to the last. I've also put the most effortinto this version then any other before it.

A Tip: Instead of changing levels with "map <mapfile>" do "changelevel <mapfile>" - this makes sure that your stats are held inbetween levels and you'll get to try out Vigil's different armor upgrades!
Bl1tz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Hey

Post by Bl1tz »

Rene it's Blitz here!

I've been working on my map for TaoV trying to get it finished up, and I had a few questions for you about entity implementation. You haven't been on mIRC so, I dunno, let me know when you're gonna be around so I can get this finished up.

<3 Blitz :hearteyes:
^^^ Is this guy a nerd or what??
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

If Tyne wishes so, i could list every entity on TAoV in one HTML file with nice CSS touches. Just PM me with the entityes and theyr descriptions and BINGO!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

*Begins adding new monsters* :)!

DCMad, I'd like to get that entity list online - I've added some new stuff I can give you to document; I'll contact you on MSN about it.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Ok new version

-------------------

- Vigil's shadow effects are now a deep dark red, red is the color of power.
- 2 New enemies! One is a skeleton that is a bit tougher then a knight, and just under a Baron.. they can also jump behind you. The other new monster is a Horror, a female demon that flies around in the air and casts Fireballs at you, they can be a pain in the butt if teamed up.
- Modified the Uppercut Slice so that it flows even better into the head smash
- Camera now intelligently zooms in and out of the action!
- More scenery entities added including a new statue and zombies that hang on walls
- New temporary music for the castle level
- Beta version of the Dungeon level is included
- Update castle.bsp for new enemies and a destroyable door at the end
- TAoV now supports destroyable BMODEL scenery, meaning a mapper can design something Vigil can break in his/her level out of brushes
- New sounds and a few changed

Try out this version and tell me what you think of the new monsters. :)
Last edited by Tyne on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

me in MSN with Tyne wrote:DCMad says:
what can i say
DCMad says:
it's the BEST version you've released ever
DCMad says:
my favourite enemy is the skeleton, great guy
DCMad says:
horror: the tinny flying weak-but-cheap pet
DCMad says:
baron is smarter than before
DCMad says:
the music is addicting
DCMad says:
the zoom in the moment a move connects, firebeam, wall grabing...
DCMad says:
skeleton exploding...
(edited my nick and some type errors)

Don't keep reading go try this new version ASAP!