Hey all. It's been a long time. I just wanted to let you guys know that I managed to add ability to browse for files on the CD. Ok, I'm lying... I didn't add it... because it had been there all along and I totally forgot!
Here's the deal. During development I did make a simple browser, but after I came up with the fancy jukebox-style browser I just completed forgot about the former. The fuctionality is still there. In fact, the executable doesn't even need to be recomplied to get it.
Remember that the whole NesterDC SE graphical interface was written using my prototype "Dreamscript" engine. All you have to do to you get the old style browser is change one line in one script. That's it!
1. After extracting the zip, navigate to the pre_cd folder.
2. You'll see a lot of .js files. The one we care about is main2.js. Open it in a text editor.
3. On line number 15, you'll see:
g_settings.romBrowseMode = 'SE';
Remove the SE so it becomes:
g_settings.romBrowseMode = '';
4. Create a folder in pre_cd called something like "myroms".
5. Copy your roms there.
6. Build a CD using the builder program. DONT point it to the same directory where you just put your roms. What you want to do is point it to a folder that contains only a few roms. I would be inclined to suggest pointing it to a folder that has no roms, but I don't know how the thing will work with an empty db. With my luck (and coding) it'll probably just choke.
Burn the CD and pop it in. When you go to the "library" you should instead be taken to a plain text-based browser. Locate your game and play!
I know a lot of you had been asking the right from the beginning and I put it off because I thought it would be a lot of work. On the contrary it's so easy a task that anyone can do it.